Mustang GT350 Forums banner

Dealership botched first oil change? Running dry... FML

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  DCShelby 
#1 ·
I just had my first oil change done at the dealership before taking off on a 700 mile road trip. I checked oil levels after the change and it seemed fine.

I just noticed today that there was some oil leaking on my parking spot so I checked the level again. It is almost empty. Who knows how long Ive been running like that. I pretty pissed that the dealership probably didn't tighten the plug or filter correctly and could have put my engine at risk.

Of course its a holiday and I cant contact anyone at the dealership or Ford customer care. How would you handle this? Should I demand a buyback? Should I just have the local dealership fix it on the original dealerships tab and call it a day? Hellllp.

#5 ·
I made sure to check it before I drove away. I have trust issues with people in general and certainly those touching my car. I guess I should have gotten under it and checked the work more thoroughly, but if Im already under there why am I not just dropping the oil myself. It's the first oil change and the guy trained to work on this vehicle. What could go wrong?

The car used zero oil in the first 2500 miles. I was thrilled that I was "in the clear".

Without being under the car to check first hand where the leak is I can only speculate what the issue is. While Im watching it go up on the lift tomorrow here in sunny Dallas I will be remembering that the car is of course under warranty and 100% of the maintenance record can be tracked to 1 human at the dealership I purchased it from.

#9 ·
And just an FYI there are some like my car after oil and filter change (I have spin on filter) full sits half way between the the top and bottom hole on dipstick not at the top hole. Which is ok, your not supposedly a quart low unless its at the bottom hole and your not supposed to add oil unless it is.

#12 ·
Last night after it cooled down there was no oil on the stick. Today after it sat overnight and gave all the oil a chance to drip down into the oil pan it barely touches the bottom of the stick. Waiting on a flatbed to bring it to a dealership.

#19 ·
Damn. Sorry you had to find out the hard way, like so many before you have. 90% of dealers are clueless about the GT350. Rule of thumb is: Never, ever, ever, ever take the car to your Ford dealer. Unless possible warranty issues arise. There are soooo many documented cases of service incompetence: from the splitter installations to the oil changes and beyond. NOT A CLUE.

#20 ·
Just to add fuel to the fire, I had a similar situation with the dealer that sold me my car. Took it in for an oil change, and just out of curiosity I checked the oil level when I got home. Nothing on the stick. Called the dealer and he asked me to check under the car for a leak. Very small amount of oil on the oil filter cover, he said it was probably a slow leak. Turns out, the joker they ALLOWED to change my oil only put in 8 quarts, and after I took it back and they put in the other 2 quarts, I asked about the leak, which was now gone. They didn't know where it came from. Turns out, it's common for the oil filter gasket to stick to the block when they remove a hot filter, and when they put on the new filter, it's double gasketed. It will leak from that!
Bottom line....NEVER trust a dealer to work on your hot rod! Only 1 or maybe 2 people at ANY dealer know anything about GT350's. Let alone that it takes 10 quarts! Oil change monkeys are the LAST person you want even sitting in your car!!

#22 ·
Aveisone, I hope you were implicitly inviting others' stories. Here's mine. I took my 2016 to the dealer for the first oil change. After a while, the service writer reports to me that they don't have the correct filter (a spin on). They didn't check inventory for the required filter until AFTER they emptied the oil. They put the old filter back on, added 10 quarts of new oil at no charge to me, and told me to come back in a week for another change using the correct filter. They did the right thing given the situation and their error. However, you would think that the GT350-trained guy would know a unique filter was required, wouldn't you? Feedback is welcomed. Thanks, for sharing, Aveisone.

#23 ·
I had mine changed today. As what’s happened to others I stopped to get gas after I drove it a bit and checked the level. It was not up to the top hole. It was on the bottom so it was about .8 liters low. So I added some. Here is why this happens. It’s a 2018 and has the cartridge filter. So on other bikes I’ve had that used thst cartridge design the procedure is to add 75 percent of the oil, then run the engine for a minute, stop the motor and then finish the oil fill. My KTM and Aprilia bikes used that procedure. The Ford techs need to do the same procedure. When you change the cartridge and drain it, you need to get the air out of the system and get the cartridge and it’s housing filled with oil. If you add oil and don’t run it a minute you will falsely see that’s it’s full on the dipstick, when it’s not. You could preload the cartridge and housing with oil, but it’s orientstion does not permit thst. Anyhow I’m not angry or pissed off. I’m 30 years into my engineering career and it’s my job to analyze problems,their causes, and how to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.