Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first oil change done at the dealership before taking off on a 700 mile road trip. I checked oil levels after the change and it seemed fine.

I just noticed today that there was some oil leaking on my parking spot so I checked the level again. It is almost empty. Who knows how long Ive been running like that. I pretty pissed that the dealership probably didn't tighten the plug or filter correctly and could have put my engine at risk.

Of course its a holiday and I cant contact anyone at the dealership or Ford customer care. How would you handle this? Should I demand a buyback? Should I just have the local dealership fix it on the original dealerships tab and call it a day? Hellllp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So you checked it right after you got it back from the dealer? Did it use oil before then? Maybe the drain plug was not secured.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you checked it right after you got it back from the dealer? Did it use oil before then? Maybe the drain plug was not secured.
I made sure to check it before I drove away. I have trust issues with people in general and certainly those touching my car. I guess I should have gotten under it and checked the work more thoroughly, but if Im already under there why am I not just dropping the oil myself. It's the first oil change and the guy trained to work on this vehicle. What could go wrong?

The car used zero oil in the first 2500 miles. I was thrilled that I was "in the clear".

Without being under the car to check first hand where the leak is I can only speculate what the issue is. While Im watching it go up on the lift tomorrow here in sunny Dallas I will be remembering that the car is of course under warranty and 100% of the maintenance record can be tracked to 1 human at the dealership I purchased it from.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I made sure to check it before I drove away. I have trust issues with people in general and certainly those touching my car. I guess I should have gotten under it and checked the work more thoroughly, but if Im already under there why am I not just dropping the oil myself. It's the first oil change and the guy trained to work on this vehicle. What could go wrong?

The car used zero oil in the first 2500 miles. I was thrilled that I was "in the clear".

Without being under the car to check first hand where the leak is I can only speculate what the issue is. While Im watching it go up on the lift tomorrow here in sunny Dallas I will be remembering that the car is of course under warranty and 100% of the maintenance record can be tracked to 1 human at the dealership I purchased it from.
I would've thought the same way. Why would you have to double check if they are certified to do the job. That's like saying, oh hey, wait, you built the house, but let me go ahead and tear down the wall so I can see if you did the wiring right.....That is ridiculous. On the flip side, 2500 miles and no oil consumption? That is somewhat unheard of as these engines eat up oil.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If they screwed it up they have to fix it. Won't cost you but you can't get a buy back. Sad, hope all ends well for you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
And just an FYI there are some like my car after oil and filter change (I have spin on filter) full sits half way between the the top and bottom hole on dipstick not at the top hole. Which is ok, your not supposedly a quart low unless its at the bottom hole and your not supposed to add oil unless it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So is yours just touching the bottom of the dipstick, or is it empty? If it was empty, that 10 quarts of oil gone someplace and the oil pressure gauge would say zero I suppose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is yours just touching the bottom of the dipstick, or is it empty? If it was empty, that 10 quarts of oil gone someplace and the oil pressure gauge would say zero I suppose.
Last night after it cooled down there was no oil on the stick. Today after it sat overnight and gave all the oil a chance to drip down into the oil pan it barely touches the bottom of the stick. Waiting on a flatbed to bring it to a dealership.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So its probably at least two liters low on oil? I thought that if it was down 1, then the oil will be at the bottom hole on the dipstick? Barely touching is 2 or more low perhaps.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Last night after it cooled down there was no oil on the stick. Today after it sat overnight and gave all the oil a chance to drip down into the oil pan it barely touches the bottom of the stick. Waiting on a flatbed to bring it to a dealership.

Dude, if you’re touching the dip stick you have in excess of 8 quarts of oil still in the engine. If you leaked as little as 1 cup on your garage floor it would spread to about 5’ across. Your car holds 10 quarts, a lot of reserve. Drain plug has o-ring, maybe a drip, oil filter is a canister and would be obvious. Either you consumed oil or they short filled you. BTW, if you blew a quart out of an external leak while driving, the undercarriage and rear bumper oil film would be obvious. Good luck, I doubt any harm has been done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, if you’re touching the dip stick you have in excess of 8 quarts of oil still in the engine. If you leaked as little as 1 cup on your garage floor it would spread to about 5’ across. Your car holds 10 quarts, a lot of reserve. Drain plug has o-ring, maybe a drip, oil filter is a canister and would be obvious. Either you consumed oil or they short filled you. BTW, if you blew a quart out of an external leak while driving, the undercarriage and rear bumper oil film would be obvious. Good luck, I doubt any harm has been done.
The drain plug was the culprit. Ill admit I was freaking out a bit too much. I appreciate the calming slap down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So did the rubber o-ring in the plastic drain plug not seal properly? Or did they not seat it properly? That is, rotate it till it clicked into place. As said, I doubt any engine damage happened.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Who did you take it to in Dallas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn. Sorry you had to find out the hard way, like so many before you have. 90% of dealers are clueless about the GT350. Rule of thumb is: Never, ever, ever, ever take the car to your Ford dealer. Unless possible warranty issues arise. There are soooo many documented cases of service incompetence: from the splitter installations to the oil changes and beyond. NOT A CLUE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire, I had a similar situation with the dealer that sold me my car. Took it in for an oil change, and just out of curiosity I checked the oil level when I got home. Nothing on the stick. Called the dealer and he asked me to check under the car for a leak. Very small amount of oil on the oil filter cover, he said it was probably a slow leak. Turns out, the joker they ALLOWED to change my oil only put in 8 quarts, and after I took it back and they put in the other 2 quarts, I asked about the leak, which was now gone. They didn't know where it came from. Turns out, it's common for the oil filter gasket to stick to the block when they remove a hot filter, and when they put on the new filter, it's double gasketed. It will leak from that!
Bottom line....NEVER trust a dealer to work on your hot rod! Only 1 or maybe 2 people at ANY dealer know anything about GT350's. Let alone that it takes 10 quarts! Oil change monkeys are the LAST person you want even sitting in your car!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts