Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2016 GT350R with 1180 miles I noticed that the check engine light was on. I had just done a track day a couple weeks earlier and previously installed 2 catch cans and thought maybe something was up with those two items. Well, it turned out to be that the engine did not heat up quick enough which was a thermostat issue and the second was that the exhaust valve actuator had a problem. The technician checked both thermostat and the operation of the exhaust valves and nothing was found. They were working perfectly. They sent the information directly to Ford and they will get back to me. I did get one good piece of advice though the technician said if the light comes on steady schedule an appointment. If the light flashes, pull over, shut the vehicle off. Start it again and if it continues to flash get it towed or you'll damage your engine. Just thought I'd pass on that information I love this car

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah usually when it starts flashing it's typically linked with rough idling. My other car blew 4 of the coil packs at the same time (i knew it was coming someday just the #1 thing that goes out) which led to the rough idling.

Thanks for the tip and info.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On my 2016 GT350R with 1180 miles I noticed that the check engine light was on. I had just done a track day a couple weeks earlier and previously installed 2 catch cans and thought maybe something was up with those two items. Well, it turned out to be that the engine did not heat up quick enough which was a thermostat issue and the second was that the exhaust valve actuator had a problem. The technician checked both thermostat and the operation of the exhaust valves and nothing was found. They were working perfectly. They sent the information directly to Ford and they will get back to me. I did get one good piece of advice though the technician said if the light comes on steady schedule an appointment. If the light flashes, pull over, shut the vehicle off. Start it again and if it continues to flash get it towed or you'll damage your engine. Just thought I'd pass on that information I love this car
Yes I agree with the warning, a flashing Check Engine Light means a bad malfunction. Like a misfire, it has been determined by the engine ECM that potential damage will occur (sorta that “warning, warning, Danger Will Robinson” type of thing). If if flashes, tow it. Even engine ‘limp mode’ with a misfire will fry a Cat.Converter!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suggest purchasing an OBDII reader (like a Kiwi 3) and an app on your phone (such as OBD Auto Doctor) which enables owners to self monitor their vehicles. I have had the CEL go on (steady) and then off a couple drive cycles later. The CEL does not always illuminate when the ECUs have detected issues not yet classified as permanent. There is a very large number of conditions that can cause the CEL to illuminate, of varying severity.

I have used screen shots as well as very specific OBD code information with service techs. This has helped eliminate conversations with a Ford service person similar to

"Yes customer reported a code, but CEL is out and tech's "scan" detected no codes, so we really did not do anything but keep your car for two or three days.", only to be back at the dealer several days later.

I have also developed significant skepticism regarding Ford dealer's service department ability to properly diagnose and fix issues, as well as the overall stability of my GT350. I therefore monitor the OBD information frequently, and record anomalies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts