Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cup 2 tires on my new 350R need replacing. I need some actual tread.

Can most any tire seller swap tires on these carbon fiber wheels, or am I stuck with buying tires at the dealership?

·
Registered
241 Posts
any shop that has a policy that covers damage - I use a local shop with all Poly ends on the install machine to put them on - they let me stand right there and haven't made a single scratch. If they break it down wrong, it will bust the lip on the wheel and then you are $6000 out and a small shop might just say "oops"

If you don't have a great tire store - I would use the Ford dealer, take pictures prior and know they will cover you - Some dealers can't do the size but most can

·
Registered
65 Posts
the R wheels scratch easily. thankfully, repairing superficial scratches is like any other wheel: sand and repaint. if the carbon fiber gets damaged then that's another story. all this to say, you want to not only find a place that has a touchless system like Hunter brand, but you want their best guy on the job. and take note: many Ford dealers cant even safely remove/mount tires on these wheels and many dont have touchless mounting systems. some do, most dont. but if you are really wanting it done right, you can do what other R owners have done: go to a Porsche or Lambo or Exotic car dealer and have them do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to call everyone you can find and ask. 75% won't touch them. I have a 2nd set of CF wheels without tires. I called 10 tire stores and only found 3 that would do it. One guy was on crack, he wanted $60 per wheel. The average price was $25-$35. I called Hunter Engineering and asked for the number for the local sales rep. I called him and he gave me the name of a few shops who have the Hunter Revolution touchless tire changer. He even went a step further and said there is a Hunter training facility about 30 minutes south of me and offered to let me come there and watch it performed and show me how so I might be able to help ease the fears of the shops that have the right equipment but are afraid of the CF wheels. He also said he has not seen the CF wheels and would like to see it done to get a first hand understanding of the potential risks.

I even called my local Ford dealer and he said yeah we can do it but we won't guarantee the results. I said so if you scratch them or F them up it's on me and not the dealer and he said YES. That's such bull crap.

Check out this YouTube of a demo of changing the tires on a CF wheel by Hunter. [video=youtube;rtCV_YR9KOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCV_YR9KOI&list=WL&index=7&t=0s[/video]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts