Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I painted my calipers on the car, used VHT high temperature caliper paint. Most of the effort is the careful masking of the hardware and surrounding components. Took about 3 hours and $15 in paint and materials, another $15 in Brembo vinyl stickers.
2 1/2 years later and 23,000 miles, they still look very nice. What beats up the paint the most is taking wheels on and off the car, that will happen with any type of coating on the calipers.
IMHO, it isn't worth spending $800 on powder coated calipers from Ford, the R calipers are no different. And it is too much work to pull them off the car, disassemble the pistons and have them powder coated. You would need a low temperature powder coating process anyway so you don't change the temper on the aluminum casting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got the brown brakes too and would have preferred the red. I don't see why Ford had to short us like that.
Assuming that was a rhetorical statement. But just in case, Ford did that to differentiate between the two cars and make the R more special. I love the red brakes also. But, I get it, and glad they did it that way. So like most, I sucked it up and pulled mine off for a custom/pro paintjob that will last as long as the factory would have. Like Dave said...be glad we have the exact same brakes. No need to powedercoat. And also (from what I understand) the factory Brembo's (or any Brembo for that matter) are not powdercoated. They're painted.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can do a lot of things with High Temp Red paint. After spending a childhood building and ‘painting’ my models, I have also taken on underhood components (VC, Oil Sep. etc).

Car Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

I see no reason, given good surface prep, that paint would not do just fine. I would find stickers like Dave did, sure the’re out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks nice. I like what you did.
You can do a lot of things with High Temp Red paint. After spending a childhood building and ‘painting’ my models, I have also taken on underhood components (VC, Oil Sep. etc).

View attachment 10392

I see no reason, given good surface prep, that paint would not do just fine. I would find stickers like Dave did, sure the’re out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What mind of materials did you use to do the painting on your engine? I would like to do that to mine one day.

View attachment 10392

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.