Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I now have the ability to purchase a GT 350 which is a boyhood dream come true. I live in greater LA, but many of the GT 350s I see that look promising are being sold hundreds or thousands of miles away from me. I do not foresee being able to get on a plane for many months to test drive a car that I would like to buy. So do you think that not being able to drive a particular car before you buy it is a deal breaker? Or do you think online research/having it examined by an independent mechanic is sufficient before purchasing?

Thank you,

Sheldon

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
5 Posts
If you buy the car from a ford dealership, you are safe. If you buy in a different dealerships, I would go a drive it
Hi Sheldon -

Great to hear about your ability to purchase a GT350.

Have you driven one period?

I would very highly recommend driving one to see if the basics of the car work for you. Items like the seats, there are recaros and there are the leather comfort type seats, the shifter position and interface, steering wheel tilt - I mean there's a lot more to a car than the performance. The thing might be the wickedest car available but if you are uncomfortable in it, you will not enjoy it long term.

I say this from experience. Came from an F80 M3 6 spd. Drove a GT350 with the leather seats and immediately dismissed it, felt like I was sitting way too high even on the lowest setting.

Drove another one with the RECARO seats in September of 2020 and in October was the proud owner of a 2020 GT350 Heritage Edition.

The car is insanely fun. If you can find a CPO or an enthusiast owned 19/20 then get a PPI done and purchase and enjoy!

Mine was bought in TX, I am in NC. Negotiated the delivery with the dealer.

Best of luck,
Usman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sheldon- response to your question

Hi all,

I now have the ability to purchase a GT 350 which is a boyhood dream come true. I live in greater LA, but many of the GT 350s I see that look promising are being sold hundreds or thousands of miles away from me. I do not foresee being able to get on a plane for many months to test drive a car that I would like to buy. So do you think that not being able to drive a particular car before you buy it is a deal breaker? Or do you think online research/having it examined by an independent mechanic is sufficient before purchasing?

Thank you,

Sheldon
I'm new on this site but I bought a 2019 Shelby GT350 without seeing it and it is the best car I've ever owned. It was loaded with all the options which are important to look for. I love the car.
Last year I bought a very expensive high end 36 Ford Street Rod from a owner in New Zealand. Needless to say i was not going to fly to the other side of the world from NJ to see the car. But I did a lot of homework and dur diligence to make sure it was what he claimed and no issues. Get 100 pictures and a video going over every inch of the car including closeups.
Rob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also have an appraiser go over the car top to bottom and write a complete report.
It's also smart to ask the seller for references and documentation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you,

Sheldon
That’s how I bought mine. Sight unseen from FL bought in ID. Worked great. Good experience and great dealer. I had money down on it but worst case scenario, if something was way off when I arrived for test drive I could have forfeited my $1k deposit and bought a plane ticket back. Gotta go with your gut depending on how the dealer treats you. If there was any hint of weirdness I would move on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried the Recaro seats and hated them. I am a big dude and they squeezed in all the wrong places. I drove 60 miles to find one with the leather seats and I bought it and got a great deal, all possible options at a discounted price. My lucky day. But YES try before you buy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought mine without a test drive but I felt the test drive was unnecessary because I wanted a 350! Having been a previous Shelby owner I knew I would be perfectly happy with the car.
However, I did purchase new from the same dealer I purchased my '67 GTA and my '68 GT-350....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go look and test drive what you are going to buy...regardless of how you get there. When I went on my hunt for a used one it took me 8 months. I was looking for specific criteria (color, mileage, year, options, amount of onwers, how well taken care of etc.), but still went and looked at a bunch to get a feel for the market and I found allot of doozies (I drove all over Florida where I live). I saw one at a Ford dealer where the previous owner had put on a Carbon Fiber drive shaft. The dealer threw the old one in the trunk and it had been rattling around the back and scratched the hell out of the trunk trim. Totally unecessary. These cars for the most part are driven hard and that's ok as long as they are taken care of and driven by people that know how to drive them. There's some good youtube videos on what to look for. If you can get a CPO from a dealer, that is a great thing because the extended powertrain warranty will give you peace of mind because if it was driven hard (and possibly badly), it could insulate you towards future expensive repairs. CPO does not tell you the cosmetic condition though. I wouldn't spend that kind of money without a first hand inspection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone,

Wow, I’m really surprised and very much appreciative of all the great advice. The virus situation in my area is such that even doing a test drive doesn’t make sense right now. I’ll do a test drive when I can and go from there. Thank you for your time and opinions.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Mine is similar story from a week ago. Have a 14' GT500. Knew I didn't want GT350R or a 2020 GT500. Whats left except color and seats. Stumbled across a Performance Blue with 900 miles at local Ford dealer when my wife was getting her new Edge. Apparently some guy came in traded mine for a Heritage GT350 the day before. You are totally right its a Buch of fun. Absolutely different animal than the 14'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts