Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote "Same goes for the handling. Being it's functionally a GT with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted standard, it retains many of the handling frustrations—frustrating because we know Ford can make a Mustang handle like a supercar, but apparently only if it says Shelby on it. As is, the Bullitt gets nervous and twitchy when you push it past 75 percent of its capability."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...977FBB4F130E344A2F56AAF617939E2D46C348348DACE

I'm glad to read that someone pointed that out because it only reassures that I made the better choice purchasing the Shelby just recently.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hear ya. I had a 2016 GT with a Performance Package. A great great car for what it was. Compared to my 2007 with solid axle, it was miles ahead in terms of not upsetting the car through corners and being able to put consistent power down. But, I definitely found the handling wanting.

One thing that many people overlook and don't talk about with cars like these....heat management.

In fact, my main reason for switching to a GT350 over my 16 GT PP, I was starting to overheat the differential. At that point I decided to opt for the GT350, trade in the 16 GT, and have never looked back. The amount of work/money/time you have to devote to these GT's to put them on par with a GT350, it can't be done easily. And once you have been tracking for any significant amount of time, you realize what a jewel the GT350 is.

I'm sure this Bullitt will show me up at the quarter mile all day long, but I'm not really impressed by that. It's a one purpose pony. It's still a cool car, and Ihope anyone who buys one toroughly enjoy

·
Registered
247 Posts
I find it entertaining when they make comments like that. Yea, duh, Ford can build a car with those capabilities and we have our supercar. We don't want you to make one that's as close to the GT350. I want it unique. My favorite quote is from The Incredibles from the evil kid..."once everyone is special, no one is". I've already seen a Bullitt in person at my local dealer and I personally found it extremely (the first word that came to mind the second I saw it...) boring. And I'm with you guys...couldn't care less about 1,320'. Not bagging on anyone that likes it. If that's your thing, rock it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm sure this Bullitt will show me up at the quarter mile all day long, but I'm not really impressed by that.
doesn't the Bullitt have the 5.0 engine in it? how could it take you in the 1/4?
You make some good points with your GT overheating when pushed. Good choice going to the GT350.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[MENTION=5858]racer172[/MENTION]

It does have the 5.0, but I believe they pumped up the HP to 475. Interestingly enough though, it didn't get any more torque. I guess to bump up the HP they added a GT350 intake manifold, throttle body and gave it a tune. So after a second thought, it didn't get anymore torque, so maybe I am wrong here.

I've seen some videos of GT's beating GT350's on the strip, so maybe that's why I thought it could beat me. Factor in the low end torque you get out of the 5.0 compared to the voodoo, and I guess my assumption was that if it got the jump it was game over. NOTE: I've never dragged my GT350, street or track, so I don't have the actual experience to verify any of this. Lmao.

Also, as soon as I saw the price I just shook my head. Almost $50K? Yikes, I think I would just move on to a GT350 at that point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Also, as soon as I saw the price I just shook my head. Almost $50K? Yikes, I think I would just move on to a GT350 at that point.
For whatever reason and no foundation what-so-ever, I always assumed a 350 was just out of my reach. Had 100% focus set on a '18 PP2 once available. They finally showed up on the site to build your own. When I got done building mine to spec, it was $55! That right there pushed me over the edge and made me do the homework to realize a 350 was well within my reach...and so glad it panned out that way.

Having said that, I'd pay $55 for a PP2 before I'd pay much of anything for a Bullitt. That car in person just did absolutely ZERO for me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Saw a Bullit at the Ford Performance display last weekend. A clean GT... brakes are week, horsepower lower, not a GT350 (had those too).
I donated to a raffle for the car, I guess I’ll give it to my wife if I win! :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
doesn't the Bullitt have the 5.0 engine in it? how could it take you in the 1/4?
You make some good points with your GT overheating when pushed. Good choice going to the GT350.
From what I've read thus far, the 18 GTs with the 10-speed autos will smoke our Shelbys on the 1/4 every time. The Bullitt is just an improved GT with additional cosmetics, so I could imagine it will dust us even worse. But then again, I had never dragged my Shelby so I wouldn't even know what it is capable of.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For whatever reason and no foundation what-so-ever, I always assumed a 350 was just out of my reach. Had 100% focus set on a '18 PP2 once available. They finally showed up on the site to build your own. When I got done building mine to spec, it was $55! That right there pushed me over the edge and made me do the homework to realize a 350 was well within my reach...and so glad it panned out that way.

Having said that, I'd pay $55 for a PP2 before I'd pay much of anything for a Bullitt. That car in person just did absolutely ZERO for me.
That makes two of us, I saw the Bullitt at several car shows here in SoCal and it really doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I've read thus far, the 18 GTs with the 10-speed autos will smoke our Shelbys on the 1/4 every time. The Bullitt is just an improved GT with additional cosmetics, so I could imagine it will dust us even worse. But then again, I had never dragged my Shelby so I wouldn't even know what it is capable of.
interesting, thanks for the info. Is the reason it's quicker due to gearing or auto tranny quick shifting?
As for top end, our car is rated to do 186mph (under ideal conditions I imagine), looks like the 5.0L tops out at 160mph.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm an old school muscle car guy, so I'm very into 1/4 times first, everything else second. That being said, the GT350 times I've seen posted range from 12.1 to a best of 11.9 in one test. 0-60 times were 4.2 down to 3.9. All very respectable for sure.

I just looked up the new GT with automatic times and they range from 12.1 down to 11.88. Road and track did a good write-up on the new automatic and how it's about .5 seconds quicker than a stick.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a14749697/2018-ford-mustang-gt-0-60-quarter-mile/

Now, keep a few things in mind: These are their BEST times in a prepared track with lots of time to experiment with things like launch RPM, tire pressure, etc.

Bottom line: these times are all so close that it comes down to driver abilities and errors (or lack thereof). And if you are on the street, there are way more variables like traction. And lastly, we're only talking about the automatics being this fast. The manual GT's are in the 12.50 range under ideal circumstances.

So the real bottom line: they're all fast and most of us will never drive them as fast as these test drivers do mostly from a lack of time trying it. But, we can have a helluva lotta fun trying! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
interesting, thanks for the info. Is the reason it's quicker due to gearing or auto tranny quick shifting?
As for top end, our car is rated to do 186mph (under ideal conditions I imagine), looks like the 5.0L tops out at 160mph.
My guess, someone correct me if I sound wrong here, is the low end torque and the faster shifting of the auto tranny. I had a 16 GT, a little less horsepower but same idea, it had lots of low end torque. That was the immediate difference I noticed the first time I drove the GT350. That low end torque gets you off the line faster, by putting it all down immediately, whereas the GT350 has to spin up to a higher RPM range to get the same torque. So, as long as the GT can keep it's nose out after the initial jump, it's game over. And with the higher rpm red-line on the GT's and the higher horsepower on the Bullitt, I'm almost convinced it would kick my ass in a drag race. That's where my logic from the original post I made came from. :)

And if you think about the applications, it makes sense. I like not having that low end torque around the corners, in my GT, that was something I had to be more aware of going through a corner to prevent oversteer. When I switched to the GT350, that was less of a problem, so I am able to squeeze in more power out of the corner, go through the corner faster and get up to a better top speed on the straights.

·
Registered
247 Posts
To me, this is an apples an oranges conversation. If there ever was a purpose built vehicle, the 350 is it, and the dragstrip is not her home. You may beat me in a 1/4 mile drag, but lets go to the road course and I will wear your behind out...and that's assuming your GT can even stay on the track longer than 2-3 laps without overheating. I am the exact polar opposite of Adam. I'd like to have a $1 every time someone said "my car's faster" Oh yea...define fast please...and then reread my previous statement ;)

The drag race thing in my mind is akin to guys complaining or getting bagged on the towing capability of the Raptor. Uuuummmm...yea, different ball game buddy. And it's still no slouch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me, this is an apples an oranges conversation. If there ever was a purpose built vehicle, the 350 is it, and the dragstrip is not her home. You may beat me in a 1/4 mile drag, but lets go to the road course and I will wear your behind out...and that's assuming your GT can even stay on the track longer than 2-3 laps without overheating. I am the exact polar opposite of Adam. I'd like to have a $1 every time someone said "my car's faster" Oh yea...define fast please...and then reread my previous statement ;)

The drag race thing in my mind is akin to guys complaining or getting bagged on the towing capability of the Raptor. Uuuummmm...yea, different ball game buddy. And it's still no slouch.
I'm with ya. And you're totally correct. I bought this car as my first modern muscle car. So I wanted a car that not only goes, but turns and stops too. I could have bought a hellcat, but it doesn't handle and to me is not as special as a Shelby GT350.

And if you want a purpose built car, I think the king of the mountain is the Demon. MAN do I give props to Mopar for building it. I mean, a transbrake and only 1 seat!? Nicely done, nicely done indeed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, it's +$1 for the passenger seat. And it's also +$1 for "the crate." You want to talk purpose built? Look inside the crate. For those who don't know, the car comes with 4 drag radials, which is already balls to the wall and barely street legal. Then they "sell you" for the aforementioned dollar, a crate that comes with two skinnies (wheels and tires that are not street legal and only used for drag racing). Also in the crate is a jack, electric impact wrench and much more. Yes, you can drive to the track, swap out tires and go racing. You put on those skinnies up front and then PULL THEM OFF THE GROUND as you launch!

Love it!

I think spending all that money building this car was the cheapest advertising Mopar ever spent to make the cover of every magazine for over a year. Yup, smart money, and fun too!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The GT350 can be made to out run a GT/Bullitt with a gear change, most likely something in the neighborhood of 4.57 and some work on the rear suspension with better vertical links and rear subframe braces similar to Steeda's. Do a little work to get the weight to transfer hard to the right rear tire. The gearing will overcome the lack of low end torque. A good driver can make up most of the advantages of the automatic. :)

I'm a top-end guy, but have spent over 50 years drag racing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
...Do a little work to get the weight to transfer hard to the right rear tire.
The manual states that Drag Mode tells the Magnaride shox allow for better weight transfer off the line (probably allows the fronts to come up easily and the rears to squat more) AND THEN as you pick up speed, it adjusts for high speed stability. That's some awesomeness. This technology stuff is cool. I can't wait to try a few real hard launches. I'd like a few hundred more miles first, and for my rear gear oil lines to stop leaking! But that's another thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never much cared about the 1/4 mile times after I bought my 350. It gets up and moves, and rides corners like silk so at the end of the day, what do the drag times really matter? I know it'll munch any stock GT with a stick, and it's a dead even tie from a roll against a stock C7 that has over 800 pounds on it; with torque to boot. Will an auto trans mop the floor with me at the strip? Yes. Will I embarrass them at the track? Yes. At the end of the day, it boils down to what you want from your car. I saw a bullit at the AM show in June, and I wasn't impressed at all. I really lack enthusiasm for the 2018 redesign in general, but to each their own I suppose.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts