Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came in yesterday. Picking it up in Sacramento tomorrow. I'll do the required reading for sure. But I welcome any cliff notes on breaking in do's and dont's.
Mark
Mag Metal Grey Black Roof No Stripes

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do just what the supplement says. Theres always those that will say drive it hard and fast from the start. There reasoning is now a days the engine doesn't require a mileage break in. That part may be true but if you give the differential gears/bearings and transmission gears at least a couple thousand miles to seat in you have less chance of rear end whine or transmission whine down the road. Easy on the brakes for the first 500 miles. And don't use the cruise control (don't want long steady speed) for maybe 1,000 miles. And drive up and down speeds for about 1,000. As far as the engine using oil. You can flip a coin on that one and hope you win.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm from the other school. I don't run literal dog snot out of it, but I drive my vehicles the way I want to drive my vehicles from day one. I'd even say I make sure the first couple thousand miles are much harder than anything they'll ever see again. Not abuse, but hard; there's a difference. SEVERAL success stories on here of guys literally taking this car straight from the showroom to the racetrack with zero problems, to include no oil usage. I've done every new car and new motorcycle (which includes three new Ducati's) in this manner and it has served me extremely, extremely well. And you think people think this engine/car is voodoo magic?? Shooooot...GT350 crowd is nothing compared to the Ducati crowd in regards to the engine and mechanics being some mystical black magic.

I do agree with Johnny that the most important part is varying RPM, accel/decel, etc. But yea, as long as it's warm, don't be scared to whale on it, to include redline. BUT, at the end of the day, this is a decision you gotta make.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.