Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving the car in the rain produces an interesting result the next time I start the car. The brakes behave as if they are locked and resist movement. The resistance is easy to overcome with additional power input but when the brakes release there is a definite noise. Once moving there are no more issues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This happens to me after I wash my car. Not as bad since I changed to ceramic brake pads. If at all possible you should go for a quick ride to dry the rotors and pads and this will help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is pretty typical for any car with disc brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must confess that I am curious as to the cause. I have been driving cars with disc brakes since before 1969 and never experienced these symptoms. I have to believe that it is a function of brake pad material/rotor composition. If that is correct it would seem that Ford would know about it. The next time I get caught in the rain I will remember not to set the parking brake and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It will happen even if you don't set the parking brake. I have never had this happen on any other vehicle that I have owned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must confess that I am curious as to the cause. I have been driving cars with disc brakes since before 1969 and never experienced these symptoms. I have to believe that it is a function of brake pad material/rotor composition. If that is correct it would seem that Ford would know about it. The next time I get caught in the rain I will remember not to set the parking brake and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your input.
They just get a coating of rust which locks the pad to the rotor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That used to happen to me after washing the car. Now I just leave it in gear and don't set the parking brake and the problem has gone away

·
Registered
33 Posts
Then you must be driving a very special type of disc brake since 1969, because this has happened to every single car I've owned since I started buying cars in 2009.

To avoid this, when you wash the car and pull it into the garage, put wood or something against hte tires and release the parking brake. That will help keep no surface touching and will help prevent the sieze up. Had a buddy years ago wash his camaro and put it away for hte winter, and in the spring he couldn't get the car to release off the brakes. He ended up having ot have his truck tied to the car and they had to yank the car until it finally broke the pad off the rotor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to ceramic pads, Power Stop Z26 pads. When I did this, I replaced the one time use bolts on the front calipers with studs from Caliperfexion.net. All the Track Attack cars have these. With the ceramic pads, you get less dust, unless you like cleaning wheels every 5 miles, and I don't get the rust infusion between the semi metallic pads and the steel rotors. I haven't found any difference in stopping and do a lot less cleaning and more driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts