Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, dewm here with a question for all you track guys. Over the weekend I installed a new set of OEM brake pads on the front of the car. While doing so, the service manual described throwing away the caliper bolts that hold the brake calipers to the knuckle every time you pull off the calipers. In the process of changing the pads, you must remove the caliper, so it stands to reason that these bolts also need to be replaced along with every pad change. The LMR website claims these bolts are tty (torque-to-yield), which means they are one time use after they are torqued the first time. Well, I re-installed them, but am now having second thoughts. I already ordered a set from the local ford dealer, and they should be here in a few days.

Now if i was daily driving only, I don't think this would be a huge issue, could probably wait until next pad change. But I track my car at Sebring every month or two, and feel the risk is too great not to replace them as per the service manual. I've also never had a vehicle at this performance level, and my guess is that they want you to replace them for a reason, which is fine, I just want to know for sure that is for a good reason.

That said, I have a feeling replacing those caliper bolts every time I change pads is going to be annoying and expensive. So I decided to shop around, after reading a few other forums on the topic, and thought I might invest in some permanent replacements like these:

https://caliperfexion.net/shop?olsPage=products/17-4ph-stainless-stud-kit

After the long winded paragraph above, I would like to know if anyone else has gone this route and replaced the stock bolts with something like this link? Have you done something similar? How about your brake changing stories, anything interesting we should all know? Thanks in advance for the help/guidance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed to caliperfexion studs right away. First time I had the calipers off. No brainer. Amazing quality product. Just do it and dispense with this debate. You’ll be glad you did.
Thanks galaxy, appreciate the picture as well, it's good to see an install for real.

I think you're right, the debate needs to end, and I'm gonna go ahead and order this kit. I'm sure the kit will tell me when I get it, but do you know off hand what the torque specs are for both the new stud/bolt and also the nut?

·
Registered
179 Posts
One of the first mods I did to my car. Make sure you follow directions carefully, be sure to clean the threads in the aluminum as indicated before installing the studs, that is very important.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I did the Track Attack that Ford offers, one question put to the instructors was "what mods have you done to the cars?". It was a surprisingly short list and one of the mods was replacing the caliper bolts with studs. They replace the front pads every third session, so that is a LOT of pad changes.

I was wondering where to get these studs, so I am glad I read this thread! I just ordered a set.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've yet to track the car but would like to have it track ready. Are these difficult to install? I have a Ford dealership that will gladly install stuff like this during tire rotations as the wheels are off but I could knock it out myself during an opportunity where I clean the wheels and have them off the car. Do you need vice grips to unscrew the OEM ones?

Is loctite blue required? The package appears to include it's own threadlocker?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This kit comes with a T60 torx (for a 1/2 inch socket wrench) bit to remove the stock caliper mounting bolt.
Vice Grips are not needed for this project. Vice Grips usually cause damage to whatever they are gripping. I rarely use them.

The kit also comes with blue Loctite.

If you want to follow the included instructions to the letter, you will need a torque wrench to properly tighten the nuts onto the new studs. This is a good idea. ;-)

Reactions: DewmsEleanor

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This kit comes with a T60 torx (for a 1/2 inch socket wrench) bit to remove the stock caliper mounting bolt.
Vice Grips are not needed for this project. Vice Grips usually cause damage to whatever they are gripping. I rarely use them.

The kit also comes with blue Loctite.

If you want to follow the included instructions to the letter, you will need a torque wrench to properly tighten the nuts onto the new studs. This is a good idea. ;-)
Oh damnit, I spent an entire day to trying to find a 1/2 in T60 socket when I went to put on my new pads, and this kit comes with one?! /facepalm

Oh well I guess I will have two now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts