Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are now available for about $450. Anyone have experience with this shifter ?
You tube install video shows sturdy unit with no slop in shift arm.
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep. Installed mine yesterday. I have not had one mustang where I did not install one (7). Second to none.
Installed mine in Dec. Best thing EVER!! Switched to the Steeda clutch spring and I feel that the clutch engagement is much better. Love the Shifter and the service. I self installed using the youtube video. Very straightforward. Additionally, they have made a few changes to the attachment bar that goes to the top of the trans. and they sent them to me for $ FREE.99!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a short throw shift kit (Ford Performance part) and the steeda clutch spring installed. It cost $500 for the install, so with the parts about $850 all in all...apparently the shifter is a pain to install, they have to go in from under the car...

Drastic difference though, no more missed shifts and clutch feels better.

They scratched up the silver bezel around the shift boot doing the install. They said "it'll buff out" but it hasn't...

·
Registered
90 Posts
MGW here. This is the second one I have installed for both my 16 and 17. Loved both, and worth the couple of hours I spent doing the install. Takes a few miles for the shifter to really loosen up, but once it does it is butter. Really like the direct feel more during hard heel-toe shifts on track

The step by step YouTube video is great.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think I’m itching for this mode. After a day at the track I was not feeling th gate in the stock shifter. It’s mush. The overall workmanship of these shifters is awesome. My quest starts here. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The MGW shifter does away with the pull-up reverse collar and instead you have to push down on the stick to shift into reverse, right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The MGW shifter does away with the pull-up reverse collar and instead you have to push down on the stick to shift into reverse, right?
yes that is correct. I HATE the pull-up collar!
Doing this mod ASAP.
great thread.
FYI this video explains the MGW shifter very well, and addresses your collar question about 4 min. in:

[video=youtube;LFYUloTA4gY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYUloTA4gY[/video]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked my 17 up used and it came with the MGW shifter. I was missing 1st gear embarassingly at lights, but found that it needed to have the gate screw adjusted, and now I can't miss. I have no frame of reference about the effort required to get it into 1st in stock form, but I do find it requires some effort to pull toward you and into 1st. Very easy to start in 3rd by mistake since the gates are ridiculously close to each other. But shifting is precise and the quality and feel is substantial. Glad I didn't have to install it though :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
so this just arrived today..

I also want to do this. I’m debating doing it myself on the floor or paying someone with a lift. Can some who has done it themselves comment? From the vid I watched it’s very simple but in tight quarters. I’m super OCD about letting people I don’t know mess with my stuff lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wasn't there some BS floating around the forums about some vibration or something on these a while back? I'm pretty sure it was resolved though.

You guys keep this thread alive and let us know how the install goes. Seems pretty straight forward to me for any DIYer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also want to do this. I’m debating doing it myself on the floor or paying someone with a lift. Can some who has done it themselves comment? From the vid I watched it’s very simple but in tight quarters.
Yeah I do all these installs with my mechanic in his show on the lift. I'm not enough of a grease monkey to do it myself

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wasn't there some BS floating around the forums about some vibration or something on these a while back? I'm pretty sure it was resolved though.

You guys keep this thread alive and let us know how the install goes. Seems pretty straight forward to me for any DIYer.
I saw that in a review online a few online last year. Guy said the aftermarket shifter “rattled” but didn’t know if it was just an install error. From the looks of that thing and the way its built, I can’t imagine it chattering. If it did though, it would drive me nuts. I HATE RATTLES.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I saw that in a review online a few online last year. Guy said the aftermarket shifter “rattled” but didn’t know if it was just an install error. From the looks of that thing and the way its built, I can’t imagine it chattering. If it did though, it would drive me nuts. I HATE RATTLES.
I'm with you on the rattle hate. Nothing bugs me more. I like the looks and the hype on this shifter so I'm thinking about putting one in my GT as a test run for the GT350. The GT needs it more anyway

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yea, that's been one of the tough selling points for me on this car. Kinda like the exhaust; yea there's some better stuff out there, but is the slight improvement worth the significant cost and effort. This stock shifter is quite good compared to EVERY OTHER manual car I've owned. Meh...I'll get one though, LOL.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts