Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the subject is highly debatable but the previous owner of my 7000 mile 2017 ran Amsoil 5-50 and never experienced an oil consumption issue.

Now I am wondering if i stick with that or go back to the factory stuff. Is there any correlation between oil consumption and the kind of 5-50 you use?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have about 7500 miles on my 2017. I am about to switch to Amsoil myself. I have not heard anything negative about Amsoil, or anything that would concern me about switching. BTW, my car does not have oil consumption issues either. I am interested to see if anybody out there has had any issues with switching to Amsoil.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just hit 9000 on my 2017 the other day. I have only done one oil change, but I also went with Amsoil. I also track my car at Sebring. I have had zero issues with oil consumption. I see people post about this engine eating oil, but I have yet to see this happen. Maybe it's too early to tell, not sure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
At 7,000 successful miles, why is this even a question? Your car is already living the good life...don't screw it up! HAHAHA...sorry, but one of my beliefs/school of thought I grew up with, is once you're broken in on something, leave it alone. Don't go changing stuff just for the sake of changing. If you were chasing a problem and thought maybe the oil was a contributor...then maybe swap. Otherwise.... Making a small assumption that you're not familiar with Amsoil beyond maybe the name itself? It's top shelf and you will have no issues at all. One of the only three oils on the market meeting (exceeding) the Ford spec for our motor. Also, Amsoil was already a -C spec before Ford changed our requirement to it. There are some that will tell you you can't run anything but Motorcraft (and their interpretation of the manual is that's the only thing you can use), but nothing could be further from the truth. And to get picky, Ford says use an oil that meets the spec, period! I dumped the factory fill for Amsoil at 1,000 miles. Have an Amsoil air filter, and just swapped my tranny and diff fluids to Amsoil at 5,000.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know the subject is highly debatable but the previous owner of my 7000 mile 2017 ran Amsoil 5-50 and never experienced an oil consumption issue.

Now I am wondering if i stick with that or go back to the factory stuff. Is there any correlation between oil consumption and the kind of 5-50 you use?
Oil consumption is not related to oil brand. Since the Amsoil is a 5w-50 (same as Motorcraft) their should be no issue. If you have a consumption issue, either brand would consume the same... Do not change up Oil grade though, bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree. My car has no oil consumption issues either. I checked the oil the other day and the level is between the two dots on the dip stick, closer to the 2/3 area visually. 7500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last question- sort of oil related. Is it best to change the oil when the motor is warm as that help removing the oil filter

·
Registered
247 Posts
Warm, or if it’s been sitting for a while. If it’s been sitting for a full day, I vote all the oil is in the pan and really doesn’t matter if it’s warm or not. Main thing is this, don’t crank it up cold to move to the other side of the garage and then try to drain it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hot or cold, it really doesn't make much difference, except the oil will drain a bit faster when warm. But after you drain the pan you still have 1.2 quarts of old oil in the cooling system that you are not going to get out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think it has a reputation around these parts. And although I'll admit I'm not completely positive on this one since I personally haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure Motorcraft, Amsoil, and only one other oil (RP comes to mind for some reason) meet the Ford spec. Regardless, that would be the main thing. If it meets the spec, use whatever brand you have a loyalty to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts