Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search of the forum and couldn't find my specific problem. Let me know if it's already been posted.

I run into an issue where every so often, the car will continually flash what mode my exhaust is in in the drivers display. It does it randomly, and I have been unable to figure out what the cause is. The message is annoying, but not affecting the drive-ability. I can get it to stop by just restarting the car, but the issue resurfaces every 5-10 starts.

Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have not had that exact issue, but I wonder if maybe one of your exhaust flap motors is going bad? To be clear -- it's not an error message, but just the message you would get if say manually switching from normal to sport, correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not had that exact issue, but I wonder if maybe one of your exhaust flap motors is going bad? To be clear -- it's not an error message, but just the message you would get if say manually switching from normal to sport, correct?
You are correct. It is not an error message. The active exhaust status (Sport or Normal) flashes up on the screen. If I switch it, then it flashes to whatever setting I switch to. The active exhaust motors work fine, and based on noise, actuate properly. I can't actually see if they are moving the full range.

The car will get an oil change shortly, and I am going to have the mechanic take a look. But I want to be able to reproduce the issue for the mechanic so he can diagnose.

Thanks for any help you may have!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a little update. I don't drive my car much other than track days. The car has an amazing audio system from the previous owner. Well since I don't drive it much, as you might imagine, I drained the battery because of the audio system. Well I took the car to work today, and the active exhaust kept turning on and off. I am now 99% sure its a battery issue. I've had the car on a trickle charger since Saturday. The car starts, but since the battery is five years old, I am guessing its gone bad. That's about all I ever get out of Ford batteries in Texas heat anyways. Since you responded to my other thread, you know that I am going over to either a Braille or Antigravity. Just looking for thoughts on the best version of either.

FWIW, I am stripping the audio system and selling to fund upgrading the car to a track monster. But we just had a new baby, in addition to our two year old, so free time (And $) is basically non-existent right now! And to be honest, I really like the stereo. Since I am not tracking it as much right now, I don't feel the need to remove it (yet).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have experience with Antigravity other than stuff I've read. A bunch of buds have installed Braille (non-Lithium) for track applications and always seemed happy.

I hate when folks mess with installing "big" audio systems as so many of the installers are just not technicians. One false move and you end up with issues like you mentioned having... PITA for sure.

Let us know what you end up buying and if you get the issue corrected.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have experience with Antigravity other than stuff I've read. A bunch of buds have installed Braille (non-Lithium) for track applications and always seemed happy.

I hate when folks mess with installing "big" audio systems as so many of the installers are just not technicians. One false move and you end up with issues like you mentioned having... PITA for sure.

Let us know what you end up buying and if you get the issue corrected.
Yeah I completely agree with a Best Buy type install. But the stereo itself was done by an audio guy who owns his own shop. I originally was going to take all of it out. I took it to the audio shop by me I trust, and he asked me four times, "you sure?" Finally I said yes damnit, why to do keep asking?!. He said he had never seen an install that clean and well done, and that it was probably $25,000 worth of audio work done in the car. Said it probably took the guy a couple weeks to do everything. The tweeters alone are $2k, each. All custom boxes, fabricated metal mounts for the amps welded into the car. I'll post some photos when I get some, because it looks/sounds amazing. Needless to say, since I don't expect a ton of track time in the next 6 months, I kept it in.

Long story short, it's very professionally done. However, as we all know, audio systems drain batteries. Just nature of the beast. I have a kill switch for power to the amps, so I will use that for now.

Will keep you updated on whatever route I go. Thanks for the inputs!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a search of the forum and couldn't find my specific problem. Let me know if it's already been posted.

I rainto an issue where every so often, the car will continually flash what mode my exhaust is in in the drivers display. It does it randomly, and I have been unable to figure out what the cause is. The message is annoying, but not affecting the drive-ability. I can get it to stop by just restarting the car, but the issue resurfaces every 5-10 starts.

Anyone else had this issue?
I actually just took my 2016 out last weekend. Display said “exhaust mode not available”. I was able to adjust the shocks and the steering. I shut the car off, and waited about 10 minutes. Then everything was OK. Not really sure exactly what happened. Anyone else see this on their display?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually just took my 2016 out last weekend. Display said “exhaust mode not available”. I was able to adjust the shocks and the steering. I shut the car off, and waited about 10 minutes. Then everything was OK. Not really sure exactly what happened. Anyone else see this on their display?
That's a pretty common problem. If you google, you will find a plethora of answers. Some as simple as the active exhaust valves need adjustment, all the way to replacement. I've had that light come on, but it was because I was in reverse when I tried to switch out of sport mode, into regular mode (Our 5 week olds bedroom is right above our garage and we live on an incline, so when I back in, it tends to make noise LOL)

Will your active exhaust still open when you try to switch to sport/track mode? If it doesn't, do they open when you floor it (At least above 4k RPMs.)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a pretty common problem. If you google, you will find a plethora of answers. Some as simple as the active exhaust valves need adjustment, all the way to replacement. I've had that light come on, but it was because I was in reverse when I tried to switch out of sport mode, into regular mode (Our 5 week olds bedroom is right above our garage and we live on an incline, so when I back in, it tends to make noise LOL)

Will your active exhaust still open when you try to switch to sport/track mode? If it doesn't, do they open when you floor it (At least above 4k RPMs.)?
I’ve now had it happen twice. I am aware it will not work when the car starts in reverse. The exhaust valves do open at about 4200 RPM, so they are still working. I am going to look into an adjustment, that makes the most sense. It seems to me, it’s failing the self check when you first start the car? I’ll keep everyone informed, of any findings I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So a little update. I don't drive my car much other than track days. The car has an amazing audio system from the previous owner. Well since I don't drive it much, as you might imagine, I drained the battery because of the audio system. Well I took the car to work today, and the active exhaust kept turning on and off. I am now 99% sure its a battery issue. I've had the car on a trickle charger since Saturday. The car starts, but since the battery is five years old, I am guessing its gone bad. That's about all I ever get out of Ford batteries in Texas heat anyways. Since you responded to my other thread, you know that I am going over to either a Braille or Antigravity. Just looking for thoughts on the best version of either.

FWIW, I am stripping the audio system and selling to fund upgrading the car to a track monster. But we just had a new baby, in addition to our two year old, so free time (And $) is basically non-existent right now! And to be honest, I really like the stereo. Since I am not tracking it as much right now, I don't feel the need to remove it (yet).
Oh man! Can you give me a call? Would love to pick your brain since we are similar timing on the family front. We have a 2.5 yr old and baby #2 arrives in August. I am actively looking to get a GT350 and would love to get a quick read on what ownership has been like for you. 863-557-2326

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man! Can you give me a call? Would love to pick your brain since we are similar timing on the family front. We have a 2.5 yr old and baby #2 arrives in August. I am actively looking to get a GT350 and would love to get a quick read on what ownership has been like for you. 863-557-2326
If all you want is a quick read, here is my two cents: I LOVE the car. But I bought it with the desire for a race car, not a daily ride. The GT350 Recaros are not comfortable, but they are awesome at holding you in place on the track. The car itself feels at home on the track, and out of place on the roads. I swapped the clutch spring on day 1 because the pedal felt odd to me. Steeda makes a better spring. I found I use oil, but it's only when driving around town. At the track, it doesn't consume much. Who cares, it's a race car. It's meant to consume some oil. That's why you get 8250 RPMs. I got a 2017 because I wanted the all the coolers in the track pack. Stay away from the 2016 if you plan to track it.

Kids do not fit in the back seat. Yes, even my 2 yo doesn't fit. And it doesn't matter, because the rear seats are basically deleted in my car. No seat belts, no anchors. It would be a giant PITA to get kids in and out even if I wanted to use them. Luckily, my sons car seat fits awesome in the passenger seat, and he loves going for rides. The passenger airbag automatically turns off, so no worries there.

Otherwise, the car lives mostly in my garage, covered, and on a battery tender. I've put on 800 miles or so since I bought it. I wouldn't use it as a daily ride.

My only complaint. I came from a 2020 Charger Hellcat Widebody. It was gorgeous, wrapped, and super comfortable. And I got tons of compliments on it. People really saw the Hellcat as the special car it is. The GT350, only car guys understand how great of car the GT350 truly is. I miss the notoriety of the Hellcat. Other than that, the Mustang outshines the Hellcat in literally every other aspect.

If you want more than that, we can certainly talk. I am generally free around 4 or 5 pm central. But with two kids, hunting season coming up, camping season underway, and racing/working on my car, my free time is very limited LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
If all you want is a quick read, here is my two cents: I LOVE the car. But I bought it with the desire for a race car, not a daily ride. The GT350 Recaros are not comfortable, but they are awesome at holding you in place on the track. The car itself feels at home on the track, and out of place on the roads. I swapped the clutch spring on day 1 because the pedal felt odd to me. Steeda makes a better spring. I found I use oil, but it's only when driving around town. At the track, it doesn't consume much. Who cares, it's a race car. It's meant to consume some oil. That's why you get 8250 RPMs. I got a 2017 because I wanted the all the coolers in the track pack. Stay away from the 2016 if you plan to track it.

Kids do not fit in the back seat. Yes, even my 2 yo doesn't fit. And it doesn't matter, because the rear seats are basically deleted in my car. No seat belts, no anchors. It would be a giant PITA to get kids in and out even if I wanted to use them. Luckily, my sons car seat fits awesome in the passenger seat, and he loves going for rides. The passenger airbag automatically turns off, so no worries there.

Otherwise, the car lives mostly in my garage, covered, and on a battery tender. I've put on 800 miles or so since I bought it. I wouldn't use it as a daily ride.

My only complaint. I came from a 2020 Charger Hellcat Widebody. It was gorgeous, wrapped, and super comfortable. And I got tons of compliments on it. People really saw the Hellcat as the special car it is. The GT350, only car guys understand how great of car the GT350 truly is. I miss the notoriety of the Hellcat. Other than that, the Mustang outshines the Hellcat in literally every other aspect.

If you want more than that, we can certainly talk. I am generally free around 4 or 5 pm central. But with two kids, hunting season coming up, camping season underway, and racing/working on my car, my free time is very limited LOL
That is great context, thanks! I am definitely interested in it as a daily driver - do you think a model without Recaros would negate your daily driver worries?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is great context, thanks! I am definitely interested in it as a daily driver - do you think a model without Recaros would negate your daily driver worries?
In regards to the Recaro's. I don't really know because I've not sat in the other seat they offer. I've heard its a little better, but not much.

Honestly, I would get a 5.0 if I was going to DD a Mustang for a multitude of reasons, some of which I mentioned before. In addition, I would consider part availability, local shop expertise, reliability, the 350 rarity factor, oil consumption issues on the Voodoo, and "less" track inspired suspension, fuel mileage (I get ~14 mpg in my 350. I get 17-18 in my F250), and the Tremec needs to be driven. I've found the Tremec likes spirited gear changes, not comfort cruise gear changes. As far as local shop expertise goes, the 350 has a completely different front suspension and geometry than the 5.0 has. If I happen to get in an accident, I want someone who knows how the 350 suspension works before they start aligning/replacing components.

What's the story on that GT in your avatar? I can't imagine someone goes from that to a GT350?!?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In regards to the Recaro's. I don't really know because I've not sat in the other seat they offer. I've heard its a little better, but not much.

Honestly, I would get a 5.0 if I was going to DD a Mustang for a multitude of reasons, some of which I mentioned before. In addition, I would consider part availability, local shop expertise, reliability, the 350 rarity factor, oil consumption issues on the Voodoo, and "less" track inspired suspension, fuel mileage (I get ~14 mpg in my 350. I get 17-18 in my F250), and the Tremec needs to be driven. I've found the Tremec likes spirited gear changes, not comfort cruise gear changes. As far as local shop expertise goes, the 350 has a completely different front suspension and geometry than the 5.0 has. If I happen to get in an accident, I want someone who knows how the 350 suspension works before they start aligning/replacing components.

What's the story on that GT in your avatar? I can't imagine someone goes from that to a GT350?!?!
Thank you, that is helpful as well. Part of the appeal of the 350 to me is the rarity factor and having something I intend to own for a long long time, which can hopefully retain its value.

On the GT, that is at a dealer I passed :) not mine! Hoping to own a GT one day as well… slow and steady.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts