Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love how this article talks about all of “innovation” that feels like they are copying a Shelby GT-350 platform.

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
63 Posts
What did you expect? When Ford stopped production of the GT350, they left a void to be filled. And Chevy filled that void, with a bigger engine. I'm assuming a 6.2L, but didn't see any details. Nor was their a price mentioned. And I'm sure it's still equipped with an automatic transmission.
But this is a good sign, that the big block gasoline engines are still being built. And that electric vehicles have not taken over yet.

·
Registered
2017 GT350 Shadow Black/Blue stripes
14 Posts
Correct on the 5.5. With the exception of the flat plane, the corvette is a different animal. It's a mid engine, auto trans with DOHC. I would image the driving characteristics are going to be entirely different. From what I've heard, read and experience - the corvette lacks any real connection to the road. It's easy to drive and heavily computerized to keep it well mannered given the buyer demographic. I guess we shall see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personnaly never liked the view from within the car. There's a complete blind spot looking over your right shoulder. The roof pillar blocks all view. All you have is the tiny sideview mirror to see what's coming up on your right side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personnaly never liked the view from within the car. There's a complete blind spot looking over your right shoulder. The roof pillar blocks all view. All you have is the tiny sideview mirror to see what's coming up on your right side.
And that's a reason not to buy a 2.8 sec to 60 mph, 670hp normally asperated legit mid-engine supercar? :)

Just joking...

If I owned one there would be nothing coming up me on the right side. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
And that's a reason not to buy a 2.8 sec to 60 mph, 670hp normally asperated legit mid-engine supercar? :)

Just joking...

If I owned one there would be nothing coming up me on the right side. :D
Yeah, how often are you driving locally, with no one else around you? Not where I live. And with the way people are driving lately, I want to see every a-hole trying to pass me on the right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Correct on the 5.5. With the exception of the flat plane, the corvette is a different animal. It's a mid engine, auto trans with DOHC. I would image the driving characteristics are going to be entirely different. From what I've heard, read and experience - the corvette lacks any real connection to the road. It's easy to drive and heavily computerized to keep it well mannered given the buyer demographic. I guess we shall see.
The Voodoo is DOHC as well. Let's not forget, Ford CREATED the flat plane crank market in America, and Chevy is, yet again, following in Ford's footsteps. Chevy will soon have the same issues all flat planes have. Vibration and oil consumption issues. You will likely see many burned up Z06's, possibly a lawsuit. I've read the ideal size for a flat plane is 4 liters. Which makes sense considering most Italian (Ferrari), German (E90 M3's), and British (McLaren) V8's hover around that size.

Oh and the new Corvette, along with the C7, is about the most ugly version made, apart from anything from the C4 and C5 generations. I don't understand why GM insists on square angles mixed with round edges. Its like two teams developed the bodylines, one doing the front, half, and the other doing the rear half. The side inlets look like they were drawn by a 1st year art student that dreamed of being an engineer.

We have had several of the z51 packs at the track. like any other car, only good drivers turn good times. Bad drivers say "it doesn't grip", or the suspension is too INSERT EXCUSE. The guys who say they don't handle don't hammer on the brakes, and fail to get it to transfer weight. Critical on a mid engine car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just watched the Youtube Leno's Garage with the 2023 Z06 with Z7 package. If you compare the guy from Ford doing the 2020 GT-500, you see much more detail about the car design, air flows, coolers, etc.

It is ironic that they talk about the Michelin tires a lot, but other than run flat, I am not seeing much more than what is put on the GT-350's and GT-500's.

The multiple coolers - seems a lot like the GT-350/GT-500 design.

Sounds and looks like a good car, but let's not kid ourselves, it does look they took the recent Shelby design and updated it.

Hmmm, engine designed for only this car. CHECK
Engine is a new engine from the ground up, not a modified version of an existing engine. CHECK
Dedicated engine builder who signs the engine label. CHECK
Brakes look identical to Shelby brakes except they added "Corvette" in big letters above the Brembo name. CHECK
Will not sell the engine as a crate engine. CHECK

Imitation is the purest form of flattery.

However, I told my wife of 35 years, I need her to go put down a deposit on a full loaded 2023 Z06, Yellow with Black trim, if she really loves me. I can find a place with a mid engine American car if and only if it comes fully loaded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just watched the Youtube Leno's Garage with the 2023 Z06 with Z7 package. If you compare the guy from Ford doing the 2020 GT-500, you see much more detail about the car design, air flows, coolers, etc.

It is ironic that they talk about the Michelin tires a lot, but other than run flat, I am not seeing much more than what is put on the GT-350's and GT-500's.

The multiple coolers - seems a lot like the GT-350/GT-500 design.

Sounds and looks like a good car, but let's not kid ourselves, it does look they took the recent Shelby design and updated it.

Hmmm, engine designed for only this car. CHECK
Engine is a new engine from the ground up, not a modified version of an existing engine. CHECK
Dedicated engine builder who signs the engine label. CHECK
Brakes look identical to Shelby brakes except they added "Corvette" in big letters above the Brembo name. CHECK
Will not sell the engine as a crate engine. CHECK

Imitation is the purest form of flattery.

However, I told my wife of 35 years, I need her to go put down a deposit on a full loaded 2023 Z06, Yellow with Black trim, if she really loves me. I can find a place with a mid engine American car if and only if it comes fully loaded.
With all due respect...

They did not copy or design anything from the Shelby GT350 or 500. It was benchmarked against the Ferrari 488.

The Z06 will destroy the GT350 and 500 on track. I can't wait for the Nurburgring time!

I LOVE my GT350 as much as the next guy and am not discounting those who prefer the look of the Shelby GT350/500s, but if offered up in a straight trade -- they wouldn't have to ask me twice. The Z06 will be the gold standard of American sports cars and without equal. Hey that's okay -- it's newer, lower, MUCH lighter.

We all knew the car was coming whether Ford made a Shelby or not. I would love to own both.

·
Registered
145 Posts
BierGut has it right. The Chevy FPC will actually be a better FPC. Two-sided induction; up-down-down-up
pistons. No goofball headers like the 350.

The voodoo engine is great in the Shelby. It is a Mustang.

The Chevy is going after Ferrari, not Ford.

·
Registered
54 Posts
BierGut has it right. The Chevy FPC will actually be a better FPC. Two-sided induction; up-down-down-up

Lol, they aren't going after Ferrari, they are going after recent grads with more money then sense, and old men. No one will ever say "should I buy the SF90, or the Z06?"

But it will be a track monster. I look forward to the ZR1 eventually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Z06 will destroy the GT350 and 500 on track. I can't wait for the Nurburgring time!
But it will be a track monster. I look forward to the ZR1 eventually.
All in a car that is twice the price, or more of the GT350. And that's one of the GT350's greatest appeal: A high performance track car, that the average person can afford.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Help me understand why the GM FPC is better. What do you mean by two sided induction and why is it better, and what do you mean by up down down up, and why is that better? I think I know what you mean by the second one, but I am not understanding why it would be better if my assumption is correct.

·
Registered
2020 GT350R
51 Posts
Make no mistake the C8 Z06 is going to be off the hook. Great engineering, performance, etc.

Now the C8 is very popular but the let me tell you the visibility sucks. Driving it in town really sucks. Top down on the HTC - doesn’t feel like a real convertible. I look at it as a targa top remover. Storage is limited, cockpit is tight, etc.

We had a C8 Z51 HTC for my wife and she didnt like it. Ended up getting a 2021 ZL1 Vert 6 speed. She likes the visiibility and manual trans better.

Let’s see what the Z06 ends up costing. I suspect our GT350s will appear to be free in comparison.

I still have my C7 ZR1 Track PAck M7, but not sure I am going to get a C8 Z06 after the 2020 we had but never say never.

D.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Help me understand why the GM FPC is better. What do you mean by two sided induction and why is it better, and what do you mean by up down down up, and why is that better? I think I know what you mean by the second one, but I am not understanding why it would be better if my assumption is correct.
Due to space consideration (or lack of it) the 5.2 VooDoo has only one intake that sits in the center of the engine. With the Z06, like mid-engined Ferraris, there is room for each bank of cylinders to have it's own intake for breathing. This allows the firing order to be different for the pistons. (The aforementioned U,D,D,U)

It also allows for that "Ferrari" sounding exhaust note.

Notice the engine pictured has two airboxs and two intake plenums.

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts