Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't believe it is VIN specific. Appears to be based on production dates that should include all 2020's.

·
Registered
2020 GT350 Race Red/White Stripes- Handling and tech packages, Recaros, Carbon Fiber IP
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked mine today. Appears to be good.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't believe it is VIN specific. Appears to be based on production dates that should include all 2020's.
The TSB says all 2020's but if you check your VIN it will tell you if you are affected and you should have been notified on Ford Pass messages if you are affected. Not that it would be a bad thing to have it checked.

·
Registered
2020 GT350 Race Red/White Stripes- Handling and tech packages, Recaros, Carbon Fiber IP
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently notices are going out to owners next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My GT350 is at the Ford Dealer getting checked now. Found out about this on the Ford Pass App. Also found a Canada Software update for the daytime running light fix needed in Canada. I’m trying to see if I can get my car flashed with that update even though I live in Phoenix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love stories and figured I would share. Here is my fun I had with the recall this summer
I received the notice from Ford late May/early June. I did notice the engine being quite loud since we got the car, but just assumed that's the way they are. My fiesta, tacoma, subarus, and other cars we have had all make some noise so I didn't worry too much about it, plus the famous "typewriter tic" of the coyote engine made me think it was just the way they are. My only days off during the week are Fridays. It took three weeks before my local dealer was able to do the inspection on a Friday. I didn't dare drive the car once I found out about the issue, so about a month. I should have requested a tech come to my house to do the inspection as was rumored to be an option. Well, I carefully drove it the dealer for the inspection. When I get there they tell me they may need it for a few days, so it may stay over the weekend and then some. I had a conversation with the service writer to see if it could be parked inside, but they said they didn't have the room, it would be parked inside a gated area though. I explained I was not so concerned with it being secured behind a gate, as much as being parked in the elements. It is summer in the desert so the brutal sun, not to mention random rain/wind storms that roll through. It was what it was, so I left the car. To my surprise they call a few hours later and tell me the car passed inspection. I excitedly go pick the car up and have fun driving home, happy as can be. I decided to look over the document I found online of what the tech's look at, and the steps they follow if a tensioner failure is found. Finding out how easy it is, coupled with pictures other owners have posted on this and other forums, I decided to take a peek just for fun... I discovered the tensioner appeared to be faulty, and I could not get it to show good, or having tension, no matter what step I took. Trust me I tried everything the document stated. I also touched the chain with my fingers and there was little to no tension on the chain... I was pissed. It was now Friday evening, so I would have to wait until Monday morning to even talk to anyone.

Monday rolls around after being pissed all weekend and I spoke with the service manager. We have developed a good relationship, he helped us a ton with an airbag light issue on our '06 mustang. He is a good dude. He was concerned and told me to bring the car back in asap. He wanted his lead mechanic to look at it just to be sure. I take a morning off work, and bring the car in. The lead mechanic and manager meet me. The manager is cool with me as usual, but the lead mechanic is throwing shade my way. I understand they probably get a lot of people coming into dealerships who think, or act like they know what they are talking about, but don't. Another mechanic shows up and was saying, "Hey isn't this the Green 350 so and so checked last Friday." I responded yes, then he asks why was it back. I told him it was not good to go. They take one peek and say, "Yeaaaa, this isn't right." The lead mechanic jokingly told me it would have been easier if I just blew the thing up, cause they don't like to work on these expensive motors. I don't want to deal with that! The car was running fine, but man was I nervous running it. I knew the voodoo engine was expensive, but I had not idea they were 20k+. The manager explains there is only one guy he will allow to tear into a voodoo, and he is a couple weeks backed up with other jobs. Plus they will have to chat with Ford about why a car that was checked off as passing, not being ok. I kinda felt bad for the wrath the mechanic that checked it off was about to receive... but c'mon man. A few weeks several phone calls later, and my car is back at the dealer.

We are now into mid July. I often drive by the dealer for work, and saw the car sitting outside for a week, parked somewhat by the for sale cars, not by the service vehicles. A phone call reveals they parked it there so it would be by itself, away from movement, less likely for an incident. Makes sense. And they are waiting for parts to show up. Another week goes by and the car is inside being worked on. The following week I am leaving out of state for a vacation, so I ask for an eta on the car on a Friday. They said there was a seal that didn't show up with the rest of the parts and they are waiting for it. The weekend passes, then Monday, then Tuesday... nothing. I call and they said they are over waiting for the seal, so they ordered another one and are having it overnighted. Our car will be done Thursday. Well I am leaving on Wednesday after work. Thankfully my Brother and Sister in law are car people, and I trust them. So they go pick up the 350 when it was done. They report the car made it home safely and was running perfect, but was very dirty from being outside as several rain storms had passed. For those who don't know, desert rain storms are often more brutal as a lot of sand and dust is blown around before and after, so you not only have to deal with water spots, you also have to deal with caked on sand and dirt... not fun. Then immediately after it returns to baking sun.

After I get home from vacation I am so stoked to drive the car. So after a good detail, I check everything over. All looks good and I go for a drive. The engine sounds tight and no noise that I had previously assumed was normal that I now realize was probably the chain slappin around in there. The car hadn't jumped timing, so only chain, tensioners, guides, and related parts were fiddled with. On my way home from the drive... boom! check engine light. FUUUUUUUUU... our Ford Pass app says it was catalytic converter something, I don't remember the code. I figure it's not related, and the car isn't doing anything weird. The following Monday I take some more time off of work and bring the car in. I'm met by a different service advisor, the manager and the advisor that was helping me before were not there. The guy asks what's going on... I tell him. He immediately snaps, they can't look at it for at least a week. I ask him to at least scan it and confirm the code is nothing major, and clear the code. We were able to come to an agreement to clear the code, and if it comes back, I will make an appointment. Well the code came back the next time I drove it. I tried to make an appointment, but due to current covid restrictions here, half the staff at the dealer is gone. They tell me over the phone (Im guessing a call center) the closest appointment is in October. Yeaaa, no. I called the service advisor who helped with the chain tensioner issue and tells me to bring it right in, they will work it into the schedule. Another morning off work, I bring it back again. He calls later that day to my surprise considering their staff issues. Car has a bad cat and they will have it fixed in two days. I let him know how stoked I was about the quick turn around. He called the GT350 a hot potato, they don't want that car hanging around, upping the chances of something happening to it, and he knows all the crap we have dealt with this summer. They pushed it through.

I've only been able to drive the car twice since, but the check engine light hasn't come back. I was told the new cat (one) cost 2k. Thankfully our cars sit low, and most live in a garage, so hopefully no thieves will be getting to it! During this whole thing, my wife called Ford customer service to let them know how displeased we were with a brand new GT350 having to be at the dealership for repairs half time we have owned it. We got the run around for a bit, but they called back and offered us three years of oil changes. I guess we will take it. The dealership we bought it from in AZ told us they could possibly buy it back, but we don't want to go that route unless the car keeps having issues. I love this car, and if all the kinks have now been worked out... we aren't getting rid of it. At least the local dealership treats me good if I talk to the right people.

Sorry for the long story, but this pains me and I like to vent anywhere I can.

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
50 Posts
A bad Cat in a new car? Sounds kinda odd, unless something in the gas used, or something they did when repairing the timing chain, caused the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A bad Cat in a new car? Sounds kinda odd, unless something in the gas used, or something they did when repairing the timing chain, caused the issue.
Right!? I thought it was weird too. I asked if they knew the cause and they said it looks like a faulty cell in the cat. I was thinking could be timing or bad gas maybe. I only run 91 in my cars from the same Chevron. I know the owner so I trust his fuel as we have had conversations about the quality of fuel he gets. The timing has to be right after the recall cause the car runs the same, if not better than it did. Its fixed... for now lol.

·
Registered
2019 GT350 Shadow Black/White Stripes
50 Posts
Is 91 octane the best you can get where you are? And just because you trust the owner, doesn't mean he didn't get a bad batch of gas that wasn't up to the octane rating.
And how does the dealer know the Cat has a bad cell? That seems a little too sprcific to know without opening it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, 91 is as high as we have here for pump gas. The nearest pump with anything like 93 is 1.5 hrs away. And you're right, I doubt the owner tests the gas. As far as what the dealer said... yea, that's what they said, so your guess is as good as mine. All I know is it's running the way it should with no check engine light lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts