Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
How did hte RT660's hold up at the track? I heard they are great Autocross tires, but not real good on a track just because they build heat so quick.

I was considering 660's next and going to 18's with 315 square set up. I am looking for real world feedback on the tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In brief, I think the Falkens and Pilot Sport Cup 2 have about the same performance and longevity.

I am not terribly experienced at track driving, so I may be unable to discern the tire subtleties that others are able to. These last two days at ORP were my 10th and 11th track days. That said, here's my impressions:

I've run on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Michelin Pilot Super Sport and now with the Falkens. I could tell the PSS tires had less grip than the PSC2 tires, but wore much better. (Duh!) The Falkens felt just as good as the PSC2. I was quite impressed.

Although the PSS tires had less grip, they were fun to run since you can slide the car exiting the corners. As you approach their limit, the grip loss is progressive and controllable.

As expected, the PSC2 and the Falkens have higher grip and let you get closer to the limit before they start to slide. That means there's not as much warning as they approach their limit. They are still progressive and controllable, but the transition happens faster. You need to be on your toes.

I think my set of Falkens are now about half gone after these two track days at ORP, but we did considerably more driving than I get at the commercial track days. I didn't notice any change in the Falkens performance during the sessions, including some as long as 30 minutes. But that may be my noob-ness showing. I put 279 track miles on the car over these two days. My Cup 2 tires lasted 5 track days, but I was running a tad slower on them ;)

Front camber is -2.3°. Rear camber is -1.00°. Temperature got up to the mid-70's. To give you a feel of how hard I pushed them, my best time at ORP CCW was 2:01. (Just couldn't get under that 2 minute mark!)
Wow, great review, thanks for all the details. Are you running staggered 295/305 still? I think you pushed me over the edge on the Falkens. But another question now that you brought it up. Your front camber, are you running the factory camber plates, or aftermarket like Vorshlag? I bought my car used, and my previous owner never picked up his camber plates. I want to stay within a certain class with SCCA, but if I go to the Vorshlag, I have to change classes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am running staggered. I'm seriously considering a square 305 setup to even out the front-to-rear wear and simplify my tire management.

I bought my set of OEM Ford camber plates from a GT350R guy who wasn't interested in using his. Some say the OEM camber plates don't provide enough adjustability, so they go to the aftermarket. The track alignment settings I posted above are close to the max range of these OEM plates, There's only a bit more adjustment range remaining. With these settings, I'm getting even temperatures across the tires and a fairly even wear pattern. However, you may be able to see in the photo I posted previously, that I still have a bit more wear on the front outside edges. The outside edge is on the top in the front tire photo. Before my next track day, I'll talk with my alignment guy to see if we can increase the camber just a little more. He may have to use a thin-wall socket to make the adjustment :unsure:.

View attachment 14025

For my first 8 track days, I ran without a track alignment - just ran the factory street settings. This includes four of the five times I was using the Cup 2 tires. After their first three track days using factory settings, the outside tire-edge wear was very apparent - almost burned through the rubber on the outside edges. I had the tires pancaked on the wheels so I could use up the rubber on the other edge. The installation of these Ford OEM plates are a huge improvement and have resolved 95% of the uneven inside/outside tire wear. I don't think the remaining small uneven wear is worth changing out the plates. However, if I hadn't installed any plates yet, I might consider the aftermarket choices. If your class restricts you to OEM, I think you'd be fine with the OEM plates.

On the track, I can't say I've noticed any difference in how the car feels with or without the plates. My track driving has (thankfully) improved over time which probably affects my perception more than driving with/without the plates.

I'm happy with these OEM plates so far. On the other hand, maybe I'm just not yet flogging my tires enough to need the aftermarket versions :cool:!
Thanks so much for the info! I am torn on what I want to do. But this is swinging me towards the Vorshlag plates, and then going aftermarket camber arms in the rear. My biggest issue is just getting the time to get under my car and seeing how everything has fit. I have heard comments that the GT350 mustang front end geometry is totally different than a regular S550, but I've not heard much about the GT350. I need to get a wheel off and just research.

I appreciate your time. I dug into your water line issue on my car just to see what it all looked like. It's hard to tell if it is just a one off, or a design flaw. Either way, thanks for putting the info out there for us to look for that rag on our cars at the track!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts