Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has 1,750 miles and smoke boiled from under the fender well. Dealer said the oil sending switch was bad and is being replaced. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had mine checked when oil changed and was fine. But a few have reported theirs was either loose or leaking. Glad it gave you warning with the smoke before anything serious happened. Because of some leaking every one should have theirs checked at oil changes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I worked at auto parts stores for years and raced several cars and what I suggest is putting in a bottle of high mileage Slick 50 (with PTFE) or the new Classic Slick 50 (with PTFE) with each oil change because it will protect the engine at startup and/or with loss of oil like some of the GT350 issues with oil leaks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I worked at auto parts stores for years and raced several cars and what I suggest is putting in a bottle of high mileage Slick 50 (with PTFE) or the new Classic Slick 50 (with PTFE) with each oil change because it will protect the engine at startup and/or with loss of oil like some of the GT350 issues with oil leaks.
Page 17 of the GT350 Suppliment warns against oil additives of any kind.
“Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by Ford warranty.” I should be said that Ford would have to show that the additive actually caused an engine failure but who needs to get into a pissing match with Ford while your sitting there with a dead engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Out of curiosity? Do you mean fueling up with the below is a bad idea.

" Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline is an innovative premium formulation engineered with triple-action protection for optimal engine performance. It delivers unsurpassed protection against gunk, unbeatable protection against corrosion, and our best protection against wear. "

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation was engineered with triple-action protection for optimal engine performance, delivering unsurpassed protection against gunk, unbeatable protection against corrosion, and our best protection against wear.

or another example Chevron Techron?

·
Registered
136 Posts
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use that crap in any engine you care about. Slick 50 is a suspension of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), aka "Teflon." Teflon has some interesting properties: it's slippery in some cases, tacky in others, and expands in still others. Although there is ZERO evidence that Slick 50 does any good, there is some evidence that the PTFE clogs small oil passages and leads to premature wear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Out of curiosity? Do you mean fueling up with the below is a bad idea.

" Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline is an innovative premium formulation engineered with triple-action protection for optimal engine performance. It delivers unsurpassed protection against gunk, unbeatable protection against corrosion, and our best protection against wear. "

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation was engineered with triple-action protection for optimal engine performance, delivering unsurpassed protection against gunk, unbeatable protection against corrosion, and our best protection against wear.

or another example Chevron Techron?
Those are fuel additives, not oil additives. In any case, if you're going to treat a tank with Techron (as in, add a bottle to the tank and then fill up), the standard advice I've seen is to do it on the last tank prior to your next oil change, as what Techron gets past the oil rings is going to do unkind things to your oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts