Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

First post here, please go easy on me. Two weeks ago I picked up my first Mustang, a 2017 GT350, white with blue stripes. Original owner only put 3,xxx miles on it, and one hell of a stereo in it. I am coming out of a 2020 Charger Hellcat WB. Loved the HC, but the car did not love track days. AND I sold it for $7,500 over what I paid. Enter GT350.

The question I have, the car has the 4" screen factory stereo, with the red start/stop button, and the three buttons for TC, LC, and hazards. It's literally the only thing I do not like about the car. I would like to swap these out with the four switches. Has anyone done this? Anyone who can provide instructions or help? PFA

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2018 Shelby GT350
11 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! That is a beautiful Shelby! I am sorry, I am not really able to answer your question, since mine came with the larger screen! I believe you can upgrade the screen for about $1K with an aftermarket unit, but I don't know about the switches. Not sure if the screen upgrade alone would satisfy you, especially with an aftermarket unit. The ones I saw were on the American Muscle site. Here is a link to the unit I had seen: Navos Mustang OE-Style Display Upgrade with Navigation 406738 (15-21 All)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! That is a beautiful Shelby! I am sorry, I am not really able to answer your question, since mine came with the larger screen! I believe you can upgrade the screen for about $1K with an aftermarket unit, but I don't know about the switches. Not sure if the screen upgrade alone would satisfy you, especially with an aftermarket unit. The ones I saw were on the American Muscle site. Here is a link to the unit I had seen: Navos Mustang OE-Style Display Upgrade with Navigation 406738 (15-21 All)
Thanks! I don't mind a non-factory head unit, but I want the factory climate controls. And I would really like the factory switches for the TC, LC, hazards and active exhaust. Another poster actually located 3-D printed metal switches, so I would swap those in too. But I am unsure if I need to reprogram something if I switch from the buttons to switches.

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great looking car, welcome to the forum. The previous owner never drove that car. I also have a 2017 and its the best car I have ever owned ( I am 67 yrs old). My family has owned over 5 mustangs, but the gt350 is special. I just want to make sure that you know that our model uses oil and that you check your oil monthly. I was adding 1qt approx every 1500 miles and that's not running hard (never tracked). This is my daily driver and I just hit 18,000 miles and the motor failed and was replaced under warrantee. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Shelby GT350
11 Posts
Great looking car, welcome to the forum. The previous owner never drove that car. I also have a 2017 and its the best car I have ever owned ( I am 67 yrs old). My family has owned over 5 mustangs, but the gt350 is special. I just want to make sure that you know that our model uses oil and that you check your oil monthly. I was adding 1qt approx every 1500 miles and that's not running hard (never tracked). This is my daily driver and I just hit 18,000 miles and the motor failed and was replaced under warrantee. Good luck.
Bummer that happened to your engine, but I guess better now while it was still under warranty! Best of luck! I hope the replacement engine will last forever!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crutchfield would be a place to start to see if the center stack you want is possible. They are on top of the electronic game and may even be able to do this work for you. I expect a custom stack like you envision is going to require a substantial investment, but to have exactly what you want can make it worth the investment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No he definitely didn't! I found 1 scratch when I picked it up, he ceramic coated it, and he put the stripes on himself. He added the red R pinstripes, and painted the badges red. I already fixed the badges though. I personally am no big on up-badging.

As far as the motor goes, thanks for the heads up. I had been reading that, and I'm a bit OCD, so I've been checking oil every drive. I personally have about 300 miles on the car, but oil level has held stead so far.

I take it to the track this weekend, looking forward to stretching it's legs. My previous car (a hellcat) was a monster on the straights, but it ate up tires on the corners, and in general really hated stopping.

Why did your motor fail? Lack of oil? Using too much oil? Did you do a consumption test? I am really interested because I want to know what to look for in mine since the warranty is up in 14 months.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crutchfield would be a place to start to see if the center stack you want is possible. They are on top of the electronic game and may even be able to do this work for you. I expect a custom stack like you envision is going to require a substantial investment, but to have exactly what you want can make it worth the investment.
Great looking car!

I may have not explained exactly what I want. I want the center stack to be the center stack from what is I think called the technology pack. I am just curious if I purchase that stack from the dealer, if the new stack requires reprogramming the computer so that the buttons all work, or if the buttons/switches are just interchangable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No he definitely didn't! I found 1 scratch when I picked it up, he ceramic coated it, and he put the stripes on himself. He added the red R pinstripes, and painted the badges red. I already fixed the badges though. I personally am no big on up-badging.

As far as the motor goes, thanks for the heads up. I had been reading that, and I'm a bit OCD, so I've been checking oil every drive. I personally have about 300 miles on the car, but oil level has held stead so far.

I take it to the track this weekend, looking forward to stretching it's legs. My previous car (a hellcat) was a monster on the straights, but it ate up tires on the corners, and in general really hated stopping.

Why did your motor fail? Lack of oil? Using too much oil? Did you do a consumption test? I am really interested because I want to know what to look for in mine since the warranty is up in 14 months.

Thanks!
Have fun at the track. I chose the GT350 over the Hellcat for the reasons you state. If I could afford two for the hell of it cars, I'd have a Hellcat too! Can't help you with the electronics. I have a 2017 and frankly didn't even consider the infotainment system since I bought it to track. It does have the nav and the full set up but other than that.... If you are running track events regularly, consider changing the rotors from the cross drilled to flat discs like they did on the 2019/20. I'd also recommend some track specific rims and tires as you'll eat the Michelins pretty quick. I installed Schroth quickfit belts as well. None of that needs to happen straight away. Learning your car will take a few sessions. I switched from a 2006 Charger with a bunch of upgrades, suspension, brakes, chip.... WAY different cars! Have fun learning your new one! You'll love it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have fun at the track. I chose the GT350 over the Hellcat for the reasons you state. If I could afford two for the hell of it cars, I'd have a Hellcat too! Can't help you with the electronics. I have a 2017 and frankly didn't even consider the infotainment system since I bought it to track. It does have the nav and the full set up but other than that.... If you are running track events regularly, consider changing the rotors from the cross drilled to flat discs like they did on the 2019/20. I'd also recommend some track specific rims and tires as you'll eat the Michelins pretty quick. I installed Schroth quickfit belts as well. None of that needs to happen straight away. Learning your car will take a few sessions. I switched from a 2006 Charger with a bunch of upgrades, suspension, brakes, chip.... WAY different cars! Have fun learning your new one! You'll love it!
I loved my Hellcat. 196 mph, in a 4 door saloon car. What's not to love? And it's beautiful. But it was a muscle car. There is not a brake big enough on the market to stop it, and Dodge certainly was not concerned about the feel of the brakes when they threw the brembo's in. On top of that, I had the wide body, thinking it would be able to handle the 4600 lb mass of that car. Even with the higher spring rate and bigger sway bars, it just wasn't enough. The saving grace was being able to steer with the throttle around corners.

Oh and at car shows. Everyone loved it. I had guys in M5C's coming up to me with thumbs up, saying sweet car. My wife was blown away. "That dude has an M5 and he's complimenting your car?!" When I picked up my folks from the airport, a guy was waiving me down. Parents asked if I knew him. I had to explain that this is a common occurrence, and since that guy was driving a Jaguar XJ, he was likely a drug dealer and no way in hell am I stopping LOL. The car garnered a lot of attention.

Anyways, did you go factory rotors from the 19/20 or aftermarket? As far as rims go, I really want the 350R rims for the track, but I just haven't had time to research what else is out there yet. The plan with this car is to basically turn it into the R over the next 2-3 years. How about rear wing? Did you keep the factory spoiler, or go to the new wing? I see the downforce figures on the wing are definitely more, but I am curious if it's actually noticeable, because I thought it was less than 100 lbs more than the spoiler. If that's the case, I would just get some sort of wickerbill.

Anyways, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
To answer your question yes you can.

you need to get something like this

I did it in my car. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck

Jack

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To answer your question yes you can.

you need to get something like this

I did it in my car. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck

Jack
This is the info I was looking for! Did you install the factory sync 3 stereo, or go aftermarket for something better? Also, were the climate controls and switches all plug and play, or did those require reprogramming too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I loved my Hellcat. 196 mph, in a 4 door saloon car. What's not to love? And it's beautiful. But it was a muscle car. There is not a brake big enough on the market to stop it, and Dodge certainly was not concerned about the feel of the brakes when they threw the brembo's in. On top of that, I had the wide body, thinking it would be able to handle the 4600 lb mass of that car. Even with the higher spring rate and bigger sway bars, it just wasn't enough. The saving grace was being able to steer with the throttle around corners.

Oh and at car shows. Everyone loved it. I had guys in M5C's coming up to me with thumbs up, saying sweet car. My wife was blown away. "That dude has an M5 and he's complimenting your car?!" When I picked up my folks from the airport, a guy was waiving me down. Parents asked if I knew him. I had to explain that this is a common occurrence, and since that guy was driving a Jaguar XJ, he was likely a drug dealer and no way in hell am I stopping LOL. The car garnered a lot of attention.

Anyways, did you go factory rotors from the 19/20 or aftermarket? As far as rims go, I really want the 350R rims for the track, but I just haven't had time to research what else is out there yet. The plan with this car is to basically turn it into the R over the next 2-3 years. How about rear wing? Did you keep the factory spoiler, or go to the new wing? I see the downforce figures on the wing are definitely more, but I am curious if it's actually noticeable, because I thought it was less than 100 lbs more than the spoiler. If that's the case, I would just get some sort of wickerbill.

Anyways, thanks for the input!
As cool as the R rims are, I'd recommend going with flow forged aluminum rims for track use. Rims get pretty hacked up on the track as you have likely experienced. Apex offers top quality rims at maybe 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of carbon. I was really lucky and found a set of new flow forged rims on ebay intended for a 350R for under $1000. They weigh half what the factory rims do. I have retained factory aero, but am considering a front splitter and rear wing and diffuser at some point. However, I want something that can be easily swapped for a more street friendly set up. (And I'm not a big fan of the boy racer big wing when just driving around town) I love a weekend cruise along the St. Coix River valley! MN and WI roads do not favor an aggressive splitter! My next upgrades are likely a MGW short shifter and one piece carbon drive shaft. I have to balance my budget between seat time and car parts! haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As cool as the R rims are, I'd recommend going with flow forged aluminum rims for track use. Rims get pretty hacked up on the track as you have likely experienced. Apex offers top quality rims at maybe 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of carbon. I was really lucky and found a set of new flow forged rims on ebay intended for a 350R for under $1000. They weigh half what the factory rims do. I have retained factory aero, but am considering a front splitter and rear wing and diffuser at some point. However, I want something that can be easily swapped for a more street friendly set up. (And I'm not a big fan of the boy racer big wing when just driving around town) I love a weekend cruise along the St. Coix River valley! MN and WI roads do not favor an aggressive splitter! My next upgrades are likely a MGW short shifter and one piece carbon drive shaft. I have to balance my budget between seat time and car parts! haha
Thanks! What about your rotors?

Assuming I like the feel of this car this weekend (I thought I would like the feel of my HC and didn't), I plan to make it a 2-3 year process of upgrades. Rims, springs (My understanding is the R has different spring rates), rotors (based on your comments), adjustable camber plates, rear wing/front splitter, getting rid of the aftermarket stereo the original owner put in, and then putting the car on a diet in general.

I am originally from WI. Wausau specifically. You are on the beautiful part of the state. I have been looking for jobs in MSP to get closer to home, but I do not want to deal with the weather at all. My truck is 9 years old this year and 172k on the clock, and not a single spot of rust on it! It looks dang near brand new actually.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going with Girodisc rotors and G-LOC pads (R16 front-R12rear). That will be track set up. I installed the Vorshlag camber plates. Running -2.75 degrees now and it seems to handle well. I'm considering the R springs as well, maybe something similar from the aftermarket...doing some research. But the roads around here are already harsh with the stock springs and comfort setting. I am seeking a good balance.

I run Pirelli PZero 315/709-19 slicks at all 4 corners on the track. The camber is necessary to clear the fenders. It also helps to reduce trammeling on uneven pavement. I installed a Schroth Quickfit harness. Strongly recommend. I'm heading to BIR next weekend for more track time. Probably off the track then until August. Its time to replace the street tires and that won't be cheap! Hoping for a visit from the money fairy one of these days! hahaha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going with Girodisc rotors and G-LOC pads (R16 front-R12rear). That will be track set up. I installed the Vorshlag camber plates. Running -2.75 degrees now and it seems to handle well. I'm considering the R springs as well, maybe something similar from the aftermarket...doing some research. But the roads around here are already harsh with the stock springs and comfort setting. I am seeking a good balance.

I run Pirelli PZero 315/709-19 slicks at all 4 corners on the track. The camber is necessary to clear the fenders. It also helps to reduce trammeling on uneven pavement. I installed a Schroth Quickfit harness. Strongly recommend. I'm heading to BIR next weekend for more track time. Probably off the track then until August. Its time to replace the street tires and that won't be cheap! Hoping for a visit from the money fairy one of these days! hahaha
Very cool. Track day last weekend, the brakes were phenomenal (Remember, I am coming out of a Hellcat, so just about anything would be an improvement LOL). I am going to save everything you've done and probably tweak over time. Do you have the wing, or the spoiler?

Anyways, enjoy the long weekend. Thanks for all the info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts