Mustang GT350 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Have just purchased the above. I'm in New Zealand.
First issue: I need a replacement Kelsey Hayes brake proprtioning valve.
Do any members have one for sale or advice on where to purchase?
Thanks in advance
Cheers Rod

·
Administrator
1965 Mustang
60 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. I'm big time into the early Mustangs. A few questions:

1. Original front disks?
2. Single or duel master cylinder?
3. Wanting to stay OEM replacement or is after market ok?

I've done several complete drum to disks swap so I can point you to options.

·
Administrator
1965 Mustang
60 Posts
The only OEM KH you will find is used. I would not recommend if you are going drive the car much as even with a rebuild kit you might have issues. You have several ways to go. On a driver I always go with OEM looking aftermarket Master Cylinder kit. Your braking will be much better as you are going from 7/8 inch bore to an one inch bore.

Product Gadget Font Output device Cameras & optics

If looking for just valve I like CJ Pony. Used many of their kits and never had an issue.

Product Font Automotive lighting Screenshot Technology

Hope this helps. Issue might be how will ship to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice
I'll flick you a couple of pics of mine.
Wont be until next week as its in the workshop.
I feel embarassed driving mine as the guy who rebuilt it did a stunning job
All I have to do is drive it and take the credit (which I dont do)
Cheers Again

·
Administrator
1965 Mustang
60 Posts
Very nice. Still the 289? Does it have AC. Remember stock 2 row radiator will struggle keeping engine cool on warm days. A three core makes it run much cooler. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
Slightly warm 289
I prefer windows down. Doesnt get that hot in this country. Lol
Just fitting a brand new radiator.I'm one of those people who try to fix things in advance of them failing.
Have just been to the workshop and greenlighted them to fit the Wilwood unit
Hearing your advice about long term reliabilty
Thanks again
Should be on the road by mid next week.
Cheers Rod

·
Registered
2017 GT350, 1966 GT350
28 Posts
Rod,

Great looking car, congrats on the purchase.

As already mentioned, your approach depends on what you want to do with the car. If originality isn't as important, Lesblank has excellent recommendations on using modern parts. If you want it keep it looking totally original, you can find original K/H proportioning valves, there are usually a few on ebay, should be able to find a decent core for ~$200 US, here's a couple right now...

1965 1966 MUSTANG SHELBY KELSEY HAYES BRAKE PROPORTIONING VALVE GT 350 K CODE | eBay

1965 1966 Mustang GT Shelby Thunderbird ORIG K/H DISC BRAKE PROPORTIONING VALVE | eBay

ORIGINAL 1965 1966 FORD MUSTANG DISC BRAKE POPORTIONING VALVE C5ZZ 2B091 B | eBay

You definitely need to have any old valve rebuilt AND resleeved, just throwing in a rebuild kit is asking for trouble. I've had good success using White Post Restorations for this: Brake Sleeving & Rebuilding Services – White Post Restorations, there are also a few others in the US, don't know about in NZ or Australia.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts