Mustang GT350 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already had total engine replaced under warranty following failed oil pump. I would like to add 100RWHP with a blower. Can a stock 5.2L Flat Plane safely offer that performance? Professional answers appreciated, pro or con. If I blow her up with a blower the $25,000 engine price+labor, would be a killer. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't want to be a damp blanket, but I don't understand the fascination with forced induction on a high-compression motor. Are folks putting on new cylinder heads to reduce the cylinder pressures? Sorry...just asking the question because I don't know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No New heads - the 2.9 Whipple makes 875-900hp on 93 octane - I ran for 15,000 miles with only an oil pump upgrade - now forged over the winter just to do it - the fascination? Well, doubling the wheel hp is more than amazing by any means.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I am not a FoMoCo professional, I did pass by a Holiday Inn yesterday... maybe a good clue to answer your question is that Kenne Bell does not offer any SC kits for the GT350.

but, having just had the opportunity to drive a 900 HP, 08‘ GT500KR, I can understand the appeal. Plus the whine of that SC is really sweet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No New heads - the 2.9 Whipple makes 875-900hp on 93 octane - I ran for 15,000 miles with only an oil pump upgrade - now forged over the winter just to do it - the fascination? Well, doubling the wheel hp is more than amazing by any means.

I understand the upgraded oil pump is pricey, but labor on an installed bullet is a killer like 10+ hours. I wish I'd have known about the upgrade while my new engine was on the floor in a crate, I understand then it's like 3 hours.😪

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am amazed these motors can take that much boost. Before your reply, I was sure you must be changing out the heads and camshafts, too. The 93-octane requirement would be a deal-breaker for me...at that point I would simply look for a '20 or '21 GT500. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am amazed these motors can take that much boost. Before your reply, I was sure you must be changing out the heads and camshafts, too. The 93-octane requirement would be a deal-breaker for me...at that point I would simply look for a '20 or '21 GT500. Thanks for enlightening me. :)
You're going to be feeding highest octane in your area (Colorado is 91) to the 500. I feed highest to my 350 always, just good insurance for long life

·
Registered
4 Posts
Already had total engine replaced under warranty following failed oil pump. I would like to add 100RWHP with a blower. Can a stock 5.2L Flat Plane safely offer that performance? Professional answers appreciated, pro or con. If I blow her up with a blower the $25,000 engine price+labor, would be a killer. Thanks in advance
No. I looked into it when I got my 2019 GT350 and Hennessy was more than willing to do it but then i called Shelby and they told me the composite material used for the Crankshaft may break from the pulley stress from a supercharger. Chris at Shelby went on to share that It's happened and Ford will not cover it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. I looked into it when I got my 2019 GT350 and Hennessy was more than willing to do it but then i called Shelby and they told me the composite material used for the Crankshaft may break from the pulley stress from a supercharger. Chris at Shelby went on to share that It's happened and Ford will not cover it.
Notice the GT500 uses a different motor for Supercharger applications. There is a reason for that !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check into the replacement engine block, I have seen a video on youtube that say the 5.2 engine blocks for 2019 and 2020 GT350 are the same blocks used in the 2020 GT500 build. Do some research on Hennessy GT350 builds they offer a boosted engines, I have heard they also lower the compression not sure if the crank is changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notice the GT500 uses a different motor for Supercharger applications. There is a reason for that !
Thanks. Mine is an 18, and other replies have stated that though the block may be the same as GT500, the internals are not and may not handle boost. Oh well I guess The 350 will be my halo car, I have no chance getting to the $73,000 base+extra mark up to slide into even a base model

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gosh - the riff between the Ford Shelby GT 350 and Shelby America is substantial and I hope it goes away someday - they are flipping GT's into Shelby's in Vegas with Blown 5.0's - of course they want to sell you the Shelby America version - I respect the name, the man, and the offering of Bolt On's is their way or no way - I wanted to do a Wide Body conversion on 00350 in 2018... the deal breaker was they refused to use the Brembo's or the CF Wheels and wanted their branded hood, grill, splitter, and rear spoiler. The royalties paid for the use of the Shelby name are staggering and offers us an engineered machine from the factory that is not comprised of all off the shelf Bolt Ons.

Whipple doesn't invest their name into stuff that's gong to blow up their clients cars. They tune for either 91 or 93 octane based on your request - Hennessy bolts on the same kit and slaps his stickers all over it but its a Whipple so you have another company standing behind it. There are a dozen installers that use Whipple to boost Shelby's. From all the forums, I see way more 5.2 failures that are all stock vs the blown versions - the facts are - you want to go faster, you can but know that sometimes stuff blows up - trucks blow up, cars blow up, and that's life in the automotive business every day everywhere in the service lane. Things break, the last F1 car was pulled out from a Sandwich wrapper caught in the brake cooler - its a zillion dollar investment benched from a piece of sandwich paper. It's life -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gosh - the riff between the Ford Shelby GT 350 and Shelby America is substantial and I hope it goes away someday - they are flipping GT's into Shelby's in Vegas with Blown 5.0's - of course they want to sell you the Shelby America version - I respect the name, the man, and the offering of Bolt On's is their way or no way - I wanted to do a Wide Body conversion on 00350 in 2018... the deal breaker was they refused to use the Brembo's or the CF Wheels and wanted their branded hood, grill, splitter, and rear spoiler. The royalties paid for the use of the Shelby name are staggering and offers us an engineered machine from the factory that is not comprised of all off the shelf Bolt Ons.

Whipple doesn't invest their name into stuff that's gong to blow up their clients cars. They tune for either 91 or 93 octane based on your request - Hennessy bolts on the same kit and slaps his stickers all over it but its a Whipple so you have another company standing behind it. There are a dozen installers that use Whipple to boost Shelby's. From all the forums, I see way more 5.2 failures that are all stock vs the blown versions - the facts are - you want to go faster, you can but know that sometimes stuff blows up - trucks blow up, cars blow up, and that's life in the automotive business every day everywhere in the service lane. Things break, the last F1 car was pulled out from a Sandwich wrapper caught in the brake cooler - its a zillion dollar investment benched from a piece of sandwich paper. It's life -
Yes, I know Shelby is a profit driven firm...I get it. Yet, the GT350 5.2L appears to be more fragile than the 5.0. I've seen some huge numbers from boosted 5.0's. But to put out $8-9K installed for a blower, then blow it (I was told a complete long block like replaced in my 350 is $25,000 retail), not including labor. So, I guess I'll just sit tight, be happy with 520HP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I know Shelby is a profit driven firm...I get it. Yet, the GT350 5.2L appears to be more fragile than the 5.0. I've seen some huge numbers from boosted 5.0's. But to put out $8-9K installed for a blower, then blow it (I was told a complete long block like replaced in my 350 is $25,000 retail), not including labor. So, I guess I'll just sit tight, be happy with 520HP.
Don’t sell yourself short... it’s 526HP 😂

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think if you blow this car track day heat might be a problem.

if you have 25k save a little more and get a second car, a hellcat.
Having both means I crave for nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts