When should I perform my first oil change?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

When should I perform my first oil change?

This is a discussion on When should I perform my first oil change? within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; tl;dr: When should I do my first oil change on a new motor? 1000 miles? 3000 miles? 5000 miles? Hello, I have a 2018 GT350 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dawgman
  • 1 Post By Eric The MadMan

Thread: When should I perform my first oil change?

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question When should I perform my first oil change?

tl;dr: When should I do my first oil change on a new motor? 1000 miles? 3000 miles? 5000 miles?

Hello, I have a 2018 GT350 which I bought last December CPO. After about 6 months of ownership, I started to notice excessive oil consumption issues and would often have to add a quart - quart and a half every 500 miles. I went through the oil consumption tests with my dealer and it was found that there was scoring on multiple cylinders. Luckily, they made the process of replacing my engine super easy and hassle free and new one was put in and ready for me to pick up in less than a week after dropping it off for the final confirmation.

I am currently in the break in period on the new motor(~600 miles) and have been very careful to follow the recommended break-in procedure, outlined in the GT350 supplement:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_09_2017.pdf
    https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...US_12_2018.pdf

I babied the car (< 3k RPMs) for the first 100 miles and made sure to vary the revs frequently. I haven't gone over 4.5k RPMs. Everything seems to be going very well so far and it doesn't appear to have burnt any oil at all and it looks clean.

The only question I have now is when should I do my first oil change?

At the dealer, they recommended that I don't do it before 5000 miles to let the factory break-in additives do their thing. Talking to some friends who have more experience wrenching and build cars though, I was told that by 5000 miles, any benefit from break-in additives would have long since stop being effective, and that I should change it right after break-in (~1000) miles. Reading a bunch of the forum posts seems to echo that mantra. I see that many people are doing their first oil change around 1,000 - 1,200 miles
    https://www.gt350.org/forum/9-mustan...-change-3.html

with one owner noting that there was a ton of junk in the oil at around 1000 miles
    https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...a-doozy.10703/

I was also wondering if I should wait to install catch cans until after the first oil change, so any debris from parts breaking in doesn't get into them, or install them once they arrive. They are currently on backorder so won't ship before 10/27 anyway, but just wanted to get some thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd change it every 12 months or 5000 miles, whichever is first.
    Studly likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought my Ford Performance Oil Seperators from CJ Pony Parts. They had both sides available and had the best pricing on them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oil change

Quote Originally Posted by mjhpadi View Post
    I bought my Ford Performance Oil Seperators from CJ Pony Parts. They had both sides available and had the best pricing on them.
    I have a 2018. Got it new. Didn't run it hard to start but did play a bit. I put about 350 miles on it, changed the oil, and drove it to George, I live in Western NY, and back. I put another 3000 on it, changed the oil and took it on a 5200 mile road trip out west. Got home with about 9000 on it, drove it another month, about 1000. changed the oil and put it to bed for the winter. Normal driving I drive it all summer long, change the oil and put it to sleep. I now have 15000 with no problems. I have a separator on both sides, don't really need it on the drivers side. If you change your own oil, try this place, [email protected]. Ford recommended Motorcraft oil. With shipping it comes out to about $10.00 per qt.
    Once you get miles on it, run the hell out of it. Thats what that engine loves.
    Enjoy.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought my 2018 brand new ... break in period for 100 miles, easy on her for another 900 miles .... then let her loose!! First oil change at 4,700 ...second done @ 9,500. I also have the oil analyzed by BlackStone labs. I am at @ 13,000 miles and have no oil issues and have never added oil between changes. Basically, I followed Fords directions to a T ....

No track time yet ... daily driver and some very spirited weekends. Hoping for track time soon. Good luck & enjoy your special car!!
    Studly likes this.
    Peace out,
    Eric The MadMan
    North County, San Diego
    2018 XXX Yellow; stripe delete; black roof; convenience package

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just traded by '17 away today, for a '20 R model, Heritage Edition. I'll always miss my first Shelby, but I'm happy. With the '17, I had my first oil change at about 1,200 miles, with careful break in, and changed oil after that, on average, about every 1,500 miles. I did some track days, tach 5-8K all day, and always changed oil for those. I never had a problem with oil consumption, nor any other engine issues. This is anecdotal info and take it as such, but that's my experience. Did I mention I'm happy to have a new R with the Heritage Package? I'm feeling some Ken Miles mojo. Long live atmospherically aspirated V-8 engines with multiple overhead cams, lots of valves, and high red lines.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors