Ford Quality Control - Opinions and Questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Ford Quality Control - Opinions and Questions

This is a discussion on Ford Quality Control - Opinions and Questions within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Hi All, I recently traded in my GT350 and got a 2020 GT350R. I'd noticed issues with the 2017, but it was a CPO and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ford Quality Control - Opinions and Questions

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Ford Quality Control - Opinions and Questions

Hi All,

I recently traded in my GT350 and got a 2020 GT350R. I'd noticed issues with the 2017, but it was a CPO and didn't know to associate them with Ford or the previous owner. Now, I'm certain that the QC at Ford is poor. The few issues I've found are:

• pooled paint on fender
    • misaligned decklid
    • **CF wheels aren't painted all the way through on the inside** - this is a big one because I don't know if they're supposed to be painted completely. I assume they are. Does anyone with CF wheels know if there's are painted on the inside, or is this a coating of some type? My concern is that they'll decay with heat and the environment.

I wanted to know what your experiences with your Fords are, particularly the GT350(R) and GT500 related to quality. The machine is impeccable to drive, but these little defects/failures are disappointing. I don't think I'm being unreasonable? Check out the photos below and let me what you think.

Also, is there a for resource someone would recommend other than a dealer, or is the dealer my best option in this situation?

Here are some pics:

Name:  CF Rim Painted.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  172.6 KBName:  CF Rim Rough.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  234.0 KBName:  Decklid misaligned.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  142.2 KBName:  Paint Pooling.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  27.9 KB

Regards,

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The coating on the inside of the CF wheels is a protective heat shield.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
    The coating on the inside of the CF wheels is a protective heat shield.
    I read that too. I was concerned because it wasn't on all the wheels. I'll check tomorrow and see if it's on the fronts or rears. Will report back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The panel alignments seem to be something Ford has as a persistent issue. Not sure they leave the factory that way, I've heard from some in the biz that shipping and handling jacks stuff up, not sure I buy it.... the paint however is different. I'd look to the dealer to fix the drip, those usually don't leave the line. However, my 2017 350 has some paint flaws, nothing blaring, but not what you'd ever find on a BMW, Merc or Audi. As my BMW file friends often say, that's why Fords are cheaper....

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2020 R as well and the panel gaps are embarrassing

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have had a 2003 Terminator, a 2007, 2011, and 2013 GT500 and all of them were far and away better assembled than my current 2019 GT350. I have noticed several places where panels don't fit as well as my past Mustangs. In my opinion, Ford's quality control and fitment has degraded substantially with the introduction of the 2015 MY. I still contend that Ford is more interested in their Trucks and SUV's than the lowly Mustang.

Junior Member hmaus01@gmail.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    World's first mass-produced carbon-fiber wheels
    Shelby GT350R only
    Eliminate approximately 60 lbs. of unsprung weight compared to a similar-sized aluminum wheel
    Feature 10% more lateral stiffness vs. the standard GT350 aluminum wheels
    Standard GT350 aluminum wheel is lighter than the aluminum wheel included in the Mustang GT Performance Package
    Assembled using unidirectional carbon-fiber masks that are layered by hand to the mold, then combined with hardener and injected into a mold
    Ceramic plasma arc spray coating on the inside of the front wheels provides protection from heat during track sessions
    Appearance layer is painted with a specific component paint system to deliver a brilliant high-gloss Ebony finish
    Aluminum backer plate in the hub region
    Allows for the same clamp load performance as the standard GT350 aluminum wheel
    Utilizes longer wheel studs vs. the standard GT350 aluminum wheel

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A few updates:

I bit the bullet and took the car for front bumper repair (huge chunk of metal managed to smack my front bumper and splitter when car had 99 miles on it) #sadlol #finghouston.

Name:  IMG_20200604_183324_1594331766019.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  2.14 MB

I decided to get paint correction and ceramic coating (including the wheels). I don't intend to do any performance tuning. I genuinely believe the car is really well balanced as is. Also, I like my warranty.

I know I can complain to Ford, and likely get somewhere, but I know I'll go ballistic if they (and will) half ass the work. The car is in good company. See pic:

Name:  IMG_20200709_150609_1594330529212.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  3.30 MB

The front wheels are coated in white on the inside. The rears are painted all the way through in glossy black. I am sure that the fronts are treated with a rough white spray (almost bed liner texture). I'm having the shop double check.

I asked them to fix the paint glob and to ceramic coat the wheels too.

The rear deck lid may just be a lost cause. There's a huge panel gap that the shop showed me. I'll likely deal with that with the dealership on that.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    World's first mass-produced carbon-fiber wheels
    Shelby GT350R only
    Eliminate approximately 60 lbs. of unsprung weight compared to a similar-sized aluminum wheel
    Feature 10% more lateral stiffness vs. the standard GT350 aluminum wheels
    Standard GT350 aluminum wheel is lighter than the aluminum wheel included in the Mustang GT Performance Package
    Assembled using unidirectional carbon-fiber masks that are layered by hand to the mold, then combined with hardener and injected into a mold
    Ceramic plasma arc spray coating on the inside of the front wheels provides protection from heat during track sessions
    Appearance layer is painted with a specific component paint system to deliver a brilliant high-gloss Ebony finish
    Aluminum backer plate in the hub region
    Allows for the same clamp load performance as the standard GT350 aluminum wheel
    Utilizes longer wheel studs vs. the standard GT350 aluminum wheel
    Thank you. You guys were both right. I didn't see that it was limited to the front wheels only. I was only concerned because it was not on all 4. No complaints about the wheels at all.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a Ford...

For a car at this point price, I would expect more. The interior feels like a rental car. The infotainment screen is awful and the operation is jenky. The body panel fit is embarassing. The paint is meh. Good thing the GT350 has handsome looks (from 10 feet away) and a spectacular gearbox/motor.

With other options out there, why anyone would buy a Mustang these days that isn't a GT350 is beyond me. The quality just isn't there.
    03reptile likes this.
    2019 GT350R (white/blue stripes)
    1985 Porsche 911 (street)
    1979 Porsche 911 (race)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors