Is this typical of the Mustang "Fit and Finish"? (pic)
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Is this typical of the Mustang "Fit and Finish"? (pic) within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; This is my first Mustang in decades. Fun car, looks good, entertaining to drive. I bought the car new from a Ford dealer. I'm noticing ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Eric The MadMan
  • 2 Post By DeputyDog95
  • 1 Post By DeputyDog95

Thread: Is this typical of the Mustang "Fit and Finish"? (pic)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is my first Mustang in decades. Fun car, looks good, entertaining to drive. I bought the car new from a Ford dealer.

I'm noticing panel gaps aren't even and misc little fit and finish issues that I haven't experienced on other cars.
    Not the best pic... This is the bottom of the left headlight. The gap is a little wider than the right. However, if you look towards the right side of the pic, below the headlight, you can see the back edge of the bumper looks a little "chewed up" and those areas are just simply painted over. I assume that's from factory mold. I'm not sure why they would sand all this smooth before paint and assembly. Even though it's not a 100k car, I would expect better fit and finish on a 20k car.

Is this normal?
    Do most of them look like this in some form or fashion?

Name:  Left Headlight Fit and Finish.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  121.7 KB
    Last edited by DeputyDog95; 04-06-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    2019 GT350R (white/blue stripes)
    1985 Porsche 911 (street)
    1979 Porsche 911 (race)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, unfortunately the Mustangs are known for this & the GT350's are no different. Have fun & enjoy!!
    03reptile and LILMAGS500 like this.
    Peace out,
    Eric The MadMan
    North County, San Diego
    2018 XXX Yellow; stripe delete; black roof; convenience package

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm confused. You say you bought the car new. Later you imply that you know this is not a 100K car and it is a 20K car. Do you mean dollar worth, instead of mileage? (K)? If you paid $20,000.00 for your new GT350, than you got one helluva good deal! Bottom line this is a Mustang, and as such, you will have some gaps, paint imperfections etc. I have noticed that my 2019 has a few niggling uneven body gaps at the hood/fender locations, but not enough to have them adjusted by the dealership. I had a 2013 GT500 and it's body gaps were far more even than the newer Mustangs. I figure it's a degraded quality control process that I have noticed with newer Ford models.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03reptile View Post
    I'm confused. You say you bought the car new. Later you imply that you know this is not a 100K car and it is a 20K car. Do you mean dollar worth, instead of mileage? (K)? If you paid $20,000.00 for your new GT350, than you got one helluva good deal! Bottom line this is a Mustang, and as such, you will have some gaps, paint imperfections etc. I have noticed that my 2019 has a few niggling uneven body gaps at the hood/fender locations, but not enough to have them adjusted by the dealership. I had a 2013 GT500 and it's body gaps were far more even than the newer Mustangs. I figure it's a degraded quality control process that I have noticed with newer Ford models.
    Maybe I didn't word it correctly.

What I meant was, I'm aware this isn't a 6 figure car where you would expect certain quality control standards to minimize imperfections in the production process. Conversely, I was also saying that I would expect better assembly/fit/finish even on a 20k car, such as a Honda Civic. Considering this car has a sticker of $75k, it's disappointing.

It's still a great looking car (if you don't look too closely lol) and it's a hoot to drive.

And no, I didn't pay $20k for mine... You wouldn't hear a peep out of me if had got that kind of a deal
    03reptile and LILMAGS500 like this.
    1979 Porsche 911 (race)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lots are Flawed but you can really look past that

https://www.yblehsgt350r.com/

Name:  shelbs9.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  236.2 KB
    Last edited by YBLEHSGT350; 04-07-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350R with 875 Whipple tuned to 903hp

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've had two. Fit was poor on 2016 model. 2019, it's just okay. You ask, "Is this typical?" I'd say yes.
    KR558

(2016 GT350 traded in)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
    I've had two. Fit was poor on 2016 model. 2019, it's just okay. You ask, "Is this typical?" I'd say yes.
    Thanks for the feedback. Ford ought to be a little more finicky on these cars. I can't see how they QC these at the factory and give them the AOK to leave LOL It's just small stuff that could be easily remedied during production.
    03reptile likes this.
    1979 Porsche 911 (race)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've noticed that when the Mustang changed it's body style in 2015, their quality of panel fitment went down the drain. Ford really cheapened out concerning the newer Mustangs. Even the metal thickness in the fenders is noticeable thinner than the previous models. I had a 2007, 2011, and 2013 GT500 and all three were far superior to the 2019 that I currently own. Ford is cutting corners where they shouldn't. I think the company is enamored with their SUV's and trucks. The Mustang has been regulated to an afterthought simply because they are afraid of the backlash from the public if they canned the Mustang. They had no problem dumping their other sedans.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up my 2017 with just under 9K miles and it was a dealer repurchase for "fit and finish." I can see why some might complain. There are a couple areas that the paint isn't done well and some variation in the panel lines. But I saved over $28K off sticker. And since I'm tracking it, not too worried about imperfections only I can see when detailing it. None of those things slow it down! So drive the shit out of it and have fun!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors