Maybe i`ll get one?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Maybe i`ll get one?

This is a discussion on Maybe i`ll get one? within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; So I`m just on the verge of ordering a 19 in black with the handling option nothing else but.... The oil consumption issue as well ...

Thread: Maybe i`ll get one?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe i`ll get one?

So I`m just on the verge of ordering a 19 in black with the handling option nothing else but....
    The oil consumption issue as well as tire availability is spooking me out!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    World of high performance cars then don't get one.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    World of high performance cars then don't get one.
    Nice reply really helpful... thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwoki View Post
    So I`m just on the verge of ordering a 19 in black with the handling option nothing else but....
    The oil consumption issue as well as tire availability is spooking me out!!
    I wouldn't say there's anything to be spooked about, but that's a matter of opinion.

The "oil consumption issue" is what you make it to be. There is no guarantee as to whether your car will have significant consumption or a normal consumption. My consumption varies depending on how I drive it. The first 3500 miles I didn't burn any (measurable). My most recent 3500 miles I burned a qt as I happened to have a few days of pushing the car relatively hard.

Let's say you have consumption issues...i.e. an amount that Ford deems more than normal. It will be covered under warranty unless it has expired. Others can correct me, but it seems more oil consumption issues are reported early compared to 10K miles +. Yes you'll be out a car for the duration of the repair/engine swap, but consider that scenario as your worst case, and determine if you're willing to accept it.

What do you mean by tire availability? 19s come with Cup 2s, but there are other tires that fit the car that are more year-round tires if that's your concern.

TLDR: If it's in your budget, buy the car. It's a fantastic drive. If you're spooked by the reported engine issues, sell it before your warranty runs out.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "The 5.2 Voodoo is the closest thing Ford Performance has produced to a full on, naturally aspirated, race engine. It's made to be run hard. I mean, it revs to 8,250. The internals are forged aluminum, meaning the tolerances are greater to allow for the pistons to expand to their spec size, once at operating temperature. You can actually monitor this from the in dash display. There is a view for cylinder head temp.

So many of these cars are broken in rather softly. The pistons and rings aren't seated to each other and this causes tremendous amounts of blow by and the result is oil consumption. Break in is critical on an engine like this.I'm not saying drive it like you stole it, right off the lot. But you will need to very judiciously move the RPM into the upper ranges pretty quickly. Get those rings seated and get the pistons up to temp. When done right, you will have near zero oil consumption, which most of us owners are experiencing.

Hope that helps. There's a lot of views on this matter. But with this being a hand built performance engine, you need to take that into account. "

This is a reply I got from a knowledgeable mate of mine , makes sense. As for the tires your right I see that there are at least 3 makers so that's good.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When i got mine I pushed it a bit during break-in per the manual. Varied the speed and shift points.

We change the oil about every 2000 miles.

Its a race car engine. Oil is pretty normal as far as i can tell - down about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles.

Just to be safe I got a Premium Care 8Y/ 60K contract. It ran me just under $1100.

You'll be missing out if you pass on getting one of these - they are amazing.
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit EcoDiesel

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbie1 View Post
    When i got mine I pushed it a bit during break-in per the manual. Varied the speed and shift points.

We change the oil about every 2000 miles.

Its a race car engine. Oil is pretty normal as far as i can tell - down about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles.

Just to be safe I got a Premium Care 8Y/ 60K contract. It ran me just under $1100.

You'll be missing out if you pass on getting one of these - they are amazing.
    That's a hell of a deal on the 8 year contract.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hurry up an order before allocations run out.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors