GT500 Mega Thread
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

GT500 Mega Thread

This is a discussion on GT500 Mega Thread within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Hell all, I know this a GT350 forum, but I think we should get a thread going about the new GT500. Likes, dislikes, tech discussion. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GT500 Mega Thread

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GT500 Mega Thread

Hell all, I know this a GT350 forum, but I think we should get a thread going about the new GT500. Likes, dislikes, tech discussion. Let’s start a conversation!

The first thig I noticed about this thing, NO MORE DRILLED ROTORS! Someone at Ford finally got the rotors right. And oh my 16.5 inches too, some serious heat dissipation going on here.

Name:  wheel.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  239.1 KB
    HotLap likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a surprise . . . . the newer GT350's do not have drilled rotors, that was expected on the 500.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And I had always thought drilled rotors were supposed to be better.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
    And I had always thought drilled rotors were supposed to be better.....
    They are and they're not.

The positives:
    They do dissipate heat faster, which is a good thing for track and hard street use.
    They give the gases the pads produce from repeated heavy braking a place to go besides between the pad and rotor (one of the reasons for brake fade or total loss on the track).
    The holes scrape the pad surface keeping them from essentially glazing over and reducing friction between pad and rotor.

The negative:
    You have less rotor and pad contact.
    They are not as structurally rigid as vented rotors, leading to warping.
    The holes and rotor material in the immediate vicinity cool faster than the surrounding metal which leads to thermal stress cracks far earlier in the rotor's lifespan.
    They're more expensive to produce and replace.

All in all, it's a trade off. On a track car, the reduced lifespan isn't really a concern because you'd be replacing the rotors far earlier anyway. And the better braking performance is worth it in most cases. But having more rotor material and proper brake cooling will do the same job as drilling smaller rotors will.
    HotLap likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that info Mike.
    MikeM likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
    Thanks for that info Mike.
    No problem. This is why it's becoming less and less common to see drilled or slotted rotors on non-track oriented production vehicles nowadays. Being that the Gt350 is basically intended to be a street legal track car, I can see why they opted for the drilled rotors. But the non-drilled rotors are definitely going to be a nice thing for the GT500 owners.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wonder what Ford is saying regarding the 500 block making its way to the 350??? A 350 with a flat plane and a beefier block?

The GT500 engine gets a more-traditional cross-plane crankshaft. “You don't really need it,” Widmann said. “Because you’ve got such a short runner off the supercharger. . . you don’t get a benefit going to a flat plane.”

That Eaton supercharger pumps out 12psi of boost, and its intercooler is tucked into the valley between the cylinder banks to help keep the center of gravity low.

So, while Ford used the Voodoo as a starting point for this engine design, it’s ended up quite a bit different. Widmann did, however, tell us that the GT500’s block will actually make it into the GT350 once it’s in production.
    HotLap likes this.
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit EcoDiesel

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Dave View Post
    Not a surprise . . . . the newer GT350's do not have drilled rotors, that was expected on the 500.
    Doh I totally forgot about this in the 2019 refresh. Well, at least when I'm ready to replace my current rotors, I'll have the ability to get non-drilled replacements. Most of the knowledge I recieved on this subject has come from fellow track group members who have been tracking for years, with a mix of mustangs, m3's and a number of porsches. All of them have told me that drilled rotors are all for show, and the more contact area the better. Practically, I don't have enough seat time on the track to verify this, but they all seem to be of the same mind. And I've seen a few porsche rotors with cracks that make me go yikes!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbie1 View Post
    Wonder what Ford is saying regarding the 500 block making its way to the 350??? A 350 with a flat plane and a beefier block?

The GT500 engine gets a more-traditional cross-plane crankshaft. “You don't really need it,” Widmann said. “Because you’ve got such a short runner off the supercharger. . . you don’t get a benefit going to a flat plane.”

That Eaton supercharger pumps out 12psi of boost, and its intercooler is tucked into the valley between the cylinder banks to help keep the center of gravity low.

So, while Ford used the Voodoo as a starting point for this engine design, it’s ended up quite a bit different. Widmann did, however, tell us that the GT500’s block will actually make it into the GT350 once it’s in production.
    Maybe an upgrade for the 2019 YM at some point? I kinda really hope they're not going to continue the GT350 past 2019. Part of the allure to it (other than the fact its an incredible track monster with a unique engine) was that it was supposed to be limited production. Output numbers are continuing to ramp up every year, so it's starting to lose it's rarity factor given we have 4 My's on the road (counting 2019, 5 if you count the limited 2015s).

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing that hobbie, I hadn't heard yet that the 500 block was going to make it into the 350. I had been expecting Ford to likely discontinue the 350 with the 19 or 20 MY as the 500 hits the streets. Would be cool to head into the LFD and see them sitting together on the showroom floor! Imagine the potential for a supercharger on a beefier FPC block...

To the OP, thanks for starting this thread, only negatives I have on the new GT500 are the dial shifter (just no place for it on a special ride like the GT500) and the lack of a manual tranny option. My 2013 Carrera S had the PDK (which for an automatic) is a fantastic tranny, but I'd gladly forgo a couple tenths in the quarter mile to be able to row through the gears in the GT 500. Of minor consequence, I noticed Ford didn't go with the Cobra center caps in the wheels (at least on the pics I've seen so far). I was holding out to pick up a set for the GT350! Oh, and the CF wheels are fantastic looking!!
    2017 GT350 / Lightning Blue / Electronics Pkg...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors