Handling Question
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Handling Question

This is a discussion on Handling Question within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; I'm a month or so into my GT350. The one thing that bothers me is the steering of the car on rough roads. Basically it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Handling Question

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Handling Question

I'm a month or so into my GT350. The one thing that bothers me is the steering of the car on rough roads. Basically it tries to jerk the wheel out of my hand at times and follows the imperfections in the road. I have had motorcycles that do that and it was due to the tires.

MY question is that if I switch to a non run flat summer sport tire will this problem go away or be minimized? I'm assuming the tires are the issue but I'm going to get it aligned just to be sure as well. FYI I'm talking while in Comfort Mode with the steering and normal mode with the suspension. Sport mode with the steering is begging to be run into a wall on rough roads so I have adjusted the things I can to calm the handling down but on some roads it's still an issue. Corners with imperfections are an ass puckering experience

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravnik View Post
    I'm a month or so into my GT350. The one thing that bothers me is the steering of the car on rough roads. Basically it tries to jerk the wheel out of my hand at times and follows the imperfections in the road. I have had motorcycles that do that and it was due to the tires.

MY question is that if I switch to a non run flat summer sport tire will this problem go away or be minimized? I'm assuming the tires are the issue but I'm going to get it aligned just to be sure as well. FYI I'm talking while in Comfort Mode with the steering and normal mode with the suspension. Sport mode with the steering is begging to be run into a wall on rough roads so I have adjusted the things I can to calm the handling down but on some roads it's still an issue. Corners with imperfections are an ass puckering experience
    I just had new tires put on and the car aligned and it seems to have reduced it quite a bit for me. The new fronts are Pilot Super Sport S. It took me a long time to get used to that handling glitch when I first bought the car. I also found it sometimes alarming.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I just remembered that I had my oil changed right after I picked it up and I'm now wondering if they added air to the tires. I will check that when I get home today as that could be the issue too. I had an S2000 AP1 years ago and when a tire was a little bit low/high I knew it instantly as it would pull bad. I'm not a big fan usually of run flats because even if they are performance tires they are still stiffer than a normal tire and tend to ride a bit rough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravnik View Post

Bravnik,

The Shelby GT350/350R are renown for 'tramlining', the car's tendency to follow road imperfections and pull the car off the precise lime of direction you're headed. I think every single established, 'big name' car enthusiast magazine (such as Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.) has mentioned this characteristic, which I beleive is caused by the very wide front tires in combination with the car's front end steering geometry.

One of those magazines did a long term test (Car and Driver, I think, but not sure . . .I'm elderly, LOL) and they had to replace the front tires. I beleive they replaced them with OEM tires AND had the front end aligned. They reported the car's tramlining was reduced by these changes.

Slightly off topic, you find the Shelby's ride rough? I live in Alberta where our roads are ravaged by severe winters and continuous freeze/thaw cycles, and I find my 2017 Shelby's suspension surprisingly compliant. I had a 2015 Subaru WRX, and THAT car's suspension was brutally harsh, MUCH harder and painfully uncomfortable compared to the relatively luxurious ride of the Shelby.

Suggestion: before spending big money on new tires, find a really good front end alignment shop, one that caters to 'sports car guys', the owners who auto slalom or 'track' their cars, and get them to do an alignment to manufacturer's specs, and see if that helps.

By the high performance, teack-oriented nature of our Shelbys, I doubt you will be able to eliminate the tramlining completely, but you may be able to reduce it to a tolerable level, and then, of course, you still need to get used to the car's quirks by putting some more time behind the wheel.

Tim
    JimT likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You guys can call me a liar and throw out the BS flag if you want, but I swapped to Conti Extreme Contact Sports and it all but eliminated, not reduced, eliminated, my tramlining. No, no front end alignment; just the tire swap.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-88 View Post
    Bravnik,

The Shelby GT350/350R are renown for 'tramlining', the car's tendency to follow road imperfections and pull the car off the precise lime of direction you're headed. I think every single established, 'big name' car enthusiast magazine (such as Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.) has mentioned this characteristic, which I beleive is caused by the very wide front tires in combination with the car's front end steering geometry.

One of those magazines did a long term test (Car and Driver, I think, but not sure . . .I'm elderly, LOL) and they had to replace the front tires. I beleive they replaced them with OEM tires AND had the front end aligned. They reported the car's tramlining was reduced by these changes.

Slightly off topic, you find the Shelby's ride rough? I live in Alberta where our roads are ravaged by severe winters and continuous freeze/thaw cycles, and I find my 2017 Shelby's suspension surprisingly compliant. I had a 2015 Subaru WRX, and THAT car's suspension was brutally harsh, MUCH harder and painfully uncomfortable compared to the relatively luxurious ride of the Shelby.

Suggestion: before spending big money on new tires, find a really good front end alignment shop, one that caters to 'sports car guys', the owners who auto slalom or 'track' their cars, and get them to do an alignment to manufacturer's specs, and see if that helps.

By the high performance, teack-oriented nature of our Shelbys, I doubt you will be able to eliminate the tramlining completely, but you may be able to reduce it to a tolerable level, and then, of course, you still need to get used to the car's quirks by putting some more time behind the wheel.

Tim
    Please don't get me wrong, I believe the GT350 rides great. I absolutely love the Couch Seats as they are some of the most comfortable yet huggy seats I have ever been in. (Ford always have good seats, I have a 93 Explorer that I love it's seats). The issue is the Tramlining for me. I do believe that the shop may have put in too much air in my tires when I did my oil change. I can't believe I didn't think to check that till now. I will check when I get home for sure and set them to 32 if they have too much. I'm also going to see about the alignment as well before I do anything about tires. Like I mentioned, I have had motorcycles in the past that would grab any imperfections in the road and it was the tires doing it. So in the end the tires might just have to go after I have ruled out the simple solutions (more seat time included).

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    You guys can call me a liar and throw out the BS flag if you want, but I swapped to Conti Extreme Contact Sports and it all but eliminated, not reduced, eliminated, my tramlining. No, no front end alignment; just the tire swap.
    Galaxy,

Your experience is caluable and only adds important information to the knowledge base in this forum.

However, I just checked Continental Tire's Canadian website and for the Extreme Contact Sports, the website shows only the correct front tire size (295/35R-19) for a GT350. They do not show the OEM 305/35-19 size available.

So, I assume you did a +1 mod and switched to 20-in. wheels? Nothing wrong with that if you or the OP intends to do that anyway, but if one is simply trying to eliminate or reduce the tramlining on a new car, it's an expensive first step.

Tim

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tim...agreed and great point. That should have been some important information to include in my post as I’d agree the data is relevant. Who knows if stock sizes in this tire would have had the same results?!?! Having said that, I’m running 305 & 325/30 19’s on R spec wheels (11 & 11.5”). Mine was not a quest to address the tramlining; was doing wheels/tires anyways.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK guys, thanks for the info. I have the first step happening when I get home (checking tire pressure) and I scheduled the 2nd step for tomorrow to get an alignment. Hopefully between the two it resolves the issue.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keeping the steering in comfort mode helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors