Question to all you 350 owners...
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Question to all you 350 owners... within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; I drove a GT350 for the first time today at a dealership. I noticed some vibration in the steering wheel at all speeds and no ...

Thread: Question to all you 350 owners...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I drove a GT350 for the first time today at a dealership. I noticed some vibration in the steering wheel at all speeds and no matter what gear I was in. Is it normal to feel this engine vibration in the wheel. Felt like a “old school muscle car”. lol
    Have to say I do not like the clutch feel in this car. Grab point is very high with a lot of travel.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’d say no, not normal. But trying to distuinguish noised and vibrations in the forum is tough sometimes since those things are subjective. However, the car does have a touch of old school muscle car feel to it, IMO. Same with the clutch...personal preference. I have no issues with it and you’ll get used to it in a day or so. It is what it is. Folks remove/replace the clutch spring for whatever feel that gives you (I haven’t done it), but it won’t change the grab point.

I’d look for another one to drive for a good comparison, if possible.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My 17 had a slight wiggle in the steering wheel on smooth highway but you couldn't feel it. My 16 I traded in didn't have it. I went to a reputable tire shop I know the owner and he spun the front tires and both front rims were just a tad out of round. He told me it wasn't uncommon with forged wheels. The owner of the Ford dealership is a personal friend of mine. I told him and he said well if I wanted they'd just completely switch both front tires off my 16 onto my 17. I did have 3,000 miles on the 16 but I said ok. Now the 17 steering wheel doesn't have that slight wiggle at all. I did make sure they torqued the lug nuts to proper specs. Only reason I didn't just have them re balance the front tires on the 17 is theirs no where around here that I trusted to do it without scratching the rims. And the tire shop I trust didn't have proper equipment to do it on my rims.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Odds are the tire presssure on the car are all wrong. And when cars sit for awhile the tires get a flat spot on them. The test drive road could also be a issue...etc. And for me personally every car I have purchased, and many at that, have always had the wrong tire pressure. I just purchased my wife the new Edge Sport and when I drove it the first thing I noticed was the tires. Sure enough I scroll thru the car settings and all 4 tires are incorrect for the tire pressure. And I could tell the tires had a flat spot on them. Once I purchased the car I corrected the tire pressures and put about 300 miles on her over a weekend. The car was truly a whole new ride once I got the flat spot out and correct tire pressure. Hope this helps and test drives to really get to know a car are kinda ridiculous. A 5, 10-20 mile drive is not going to truly give you the reality of the car. But yeah I get it who wants to buy s nice new GT350 with 300-1000 test drives lol. And here’s my wife’s new Edge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Iceage; 11-09-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I got home, I started thinking about the ride. The first thing that came to me was flat spots on the tires. This car has been at this lot for some time now. The tires are probably under inflated and has flat spots as well.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceage View Post
    ... when cars sit for awhile the tires get a flat spot on them.
    I can attest to that. And considering how long the car you test drove may have been parked at the dealer, it is very, very likely. Mine had a dead battery, flat spots and nearly an empty gas tank. Considering it had 8 miles on the odometer and had a 3 month old inspection sticker, my guess is I was the first and only test drive.
    2018 GT350 - Race Red w/o stripes

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No, mine did not, and still doesn't. I am trying to compare it to my 2010 Roush, and the only thing I can come up with is the feel of the clutch. Still getting used to the resonation at high RPMs, I feel that on the shifter not the steering.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, steering wheel vibration is not normal.

In July this year, I purchased a brand new 2017 GT350 with virtually no miles. The car was built in May, 2017, so it had been sitting at the dealership for 14 months. No flat spotted tires, no steering wheel vibration (and I've driven dozens of brand new cars over the past few years as part of my work, so I am sensitive to new vehicle faults.)

Also, my clutch engagement is what I'd consider normal, NOT engaging high or towards the upper end of travel when releasing the clutch pedal as you've described.

I'd suggest testing another new demo vehicle or finding another GT350 owner to request a test drive so you can compare them to the demo unit.

Tim

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors