Oil Situation - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Oil Situation

This is a discussion on Oil Situation within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Did I ever say once that it was guaranteed to solve everyone's problem? The answer is no. You make a lot of crap up out ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil Situation

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did I ever say once that it was guaranteed to solve everyone's problem? The answer is no. You make a lot of crap up out of that little brain.
    Simply stated my opinion of the oil and how it has stopped oil consumption in my car and others. I never said it had guaranteed results but rather a possible solution.

No cure for dumb! To bad...
    Last edited by HELLFIRE; 11-03-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    * 2016 Charger Hellcat *

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Eight quarts in a timeframe is not a spec, we need to know the mileage. But yea, that’s high and worth investigating. If you were truly down to driving around on two quarts I don’t know how you avoided serious engine damage. That’s probably not even enough to have any in the pan to be picked up. If your engine is fine, I don’t think that’s accurate. Anywho...the spec is a quart per 500 miles. It sucks, but if it’s using less than that, you’re good and Ford won’t do anything.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Eight quarts in a timeframe is not a spec, we need to know the mileage. But yea, that’s high and worth investigating. If you were truly down to driving around on two quarts I don’t know how you avoided serious engine damage. That’s probably not even enough to have any in the pan to be picked up. If your engine is fine, I don’t think that’s accurate. Anywho...the spec is a quart per 500 miles. It sucks, but if it’s using less than that, you’re good and Ford won’t do anything.
    I would second this. If you only had 2 quarts in the car, I would imagine you would have noticed a stark difference in your car. Oil pressures should have changed. Your normal oil temps should have been different. The motor itself should have sounded different.

Even when mine is 0.5qt low, I notice oil pressure differences and motor noise differences.
    Last edited by zstansel; 11-05-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    ringmaster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zstansel View Post
    Even when mine is 0.5qt low, I notice oil pressure differences and motor noise differences.
    Meeehhhh...I don't know about that one! Come on dude, with 10 quarts of oil, there's no way that motor notices a 1/2 quart! That's a stretch.
    johnny1 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Meeehhhh...I don't know about that one! Come on dude, with 10 quarts of oil, there's no way that motor notices a 1/2 quart! That's a stretch.
    Honestly not trying to troll. Maybe in my case its paranoia and a mix of coincidence. I know for a fact my car's oil pressure when hot is a minimum 5 psi lower than when full. I should've just stated that line as my 2 cents.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh dude, I did not take your comment as trolling at all. I know that my car doesn't know any difference. Everything else being constant and barring any other outside variable (a mechanical problem, restriction in the engine, steady temp, etc), quantity (especially a 1/2 quart) should not make a difference in pressure. As long as the oil pump pickup remains submerged in oil in the pan, it would never know how high above that the level is to effect a change on pressure.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zstansel View Post
    Honestly not trying to troll. Maybe in my case its paranoia and a mix of coincidence. I know for a fact my car's oil pressure when hot is a minimum 5 psi lower than when full. I should've just stated that line as my 2 cents.
    Your oil pressure should be lower when the engine is hot. Mine is probably 15-20 psi lower at idle when hot as opposed to cold. I keep my engine rpm below 2500 until the engine oil temp gets close to 190, but I'm ol' school. I would venture to say that in normal driving as long as there is oil on the dip stick, the low oil condition would never be reflected in the oil pressure or temperature. The engine is just not going to know until it starts sucking air.

Mine doesn't use oil and I baby it around below 3,000 except when I run it up to red-line in 5th.

Grace and Peace,
    ringmaster likes this.
    2018 GT350
    1967 GT350
    1961 Starliner

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo5.2 View Post
    9200 miles on the OD. Had the oil changed at the dealership. Didnít expect to since I bought everything to do it myself. But I was out one day and decided to just check the oil as I do occasionally to see how much it burns. Barley got any oil on the stick. Got it towed for free to the closest dealer and they didnít even get 2 quarts of oil out of it(was due for an oil change any way that why I didnít just buy more oil). I knew it burned oil before and I would add some here and there, but it actually burned 8 quarts of oil in 2 1/2 months. Iím not expert but I donít think that is supposed to happen. Havenít tracked the car either. Curious as to how normal this is, if it is at all, and or if I should have it looked at?
    Have you looked at the paperwork the dealership gave you? I am still going through nightmares from my visit to the dealer on Monday. Just a quick oil change is all I wanted. They came to get me and go over what they did before I took the car and huge red flag...they did not add the proper amount of oil. They didn't believe me, finally after huffing and puffing at how I was bothering them, they checked the dip stick and it was 3 quarts low. While waiting for the tech to come add the rest of the oil, I inspected the car. Horrifying!!!! An open ball point pen was shoved into my seat (last visit my seat had sharp shards of a broken button off of someone's pants), someone had spit chewing tobacco on the side of my car, there was a wet, dirty muddy patch where they leaned on my car, they overfilled the windshield washer fluid and there was blue washer fluid all over the front of my engine compartment. It didn't even need filling. Finally the tech added the oil at the same time some guy came out and wanted to chat me up about the car so I didn't get a good look at what the tech was doing. I finally had to interrupt and ask the tech if he just dumped the oil in or if he actually checked the stick. Oh boy did I just ask waaay too much of him. He grabbed the dipstick, yanked it out, took his hand and rudely jerked his hand down the stick spewing oil all over my car so he could show me. I looked at the oil drops all over the inside and out of my car and he had the nerve to ask "Did I do that?" 3 hours later I was finally home in my garage, popped the hood and something with oil had been set on top of my battery cover boot. Oil was running down the sides and under the boot. It was dark so I did the best I could trying to use my products to remove the petroleum based crap on my paint and under my hood. Dealer guy called me yesterday, I asked for a meeting to show them the pictures I took and discuss future shop visits. He wants the pictures but doesn't want a face to face meeting. I really wanted to love this car but it is actually taking a toll on my health. I have only been able to drive it 5k miles since I bought it. I am still in negotiations with Ford because the pistons have gotten so bad. The front end has a drag that they can hear and feel but can't figure out what's wrong. Sorry, I'm just going to stop here. It's a novel and I haven't begun to touch on Ford's customer service or extreme lack there of. I have tried everything. I am screwed into keeping the car because I invested in it and upgrades. I will never be able to sell it for what I have into it. Which I would have no problem with IF the car was decent and didn't give me chest pains every time I look at it. I have always had Ford's and trusted how great and dependable they've been. So when it comes time to fork out the big bucks and jump in, I get the worst car I have ever owned. At this point I'm not even sure the oil they put it is the 5/50 considering they didn't know how many quarts to add. Watch your dealers and inspect your car with a microscope. I know these are great cars if you get one that wasn't built by Keith and Phil. Good luck to any of you with issues and have fun enjoying to those who have the decently built cars!
    2020 Shadow Black, Carbon Fiber Dash, Technology Pkg., Handling Pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy cow, when I read your post I felt a wave of relief...I had literally the exact same situation within the last 2 weeks. Bought the car in August, had about 8k miles on it after driving it from SoCal to NorCal weekly. Couple weeks ago I had the “service engine oil” message pop up so I decided to check it. Thought I was going crazy, or somehow checking it wrong, when every time I pulled the dipstick, it was dry. So I added a quart at a time until I finally got it to register on the dipstick. That was 6 quarts added when it finally registered! I never noticed a difference in the engine sound or the oil pressure or the oil temp. Well, everything seems good now, although I’ve had to had another quart recently. I guess I’m on the extreme end of the “1 quart every 500 miles” spectrum. Oh well, the car is amazing. Love driving every day!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellOnWheels View Post
    Have you looked at the paperwork the dealership gave you? I am still going through nightmares from my visit to the dealer on Monday. Just a quick oil change is all I wanted. They came to get me and go over what they did before I took the car and huge red flag...they did not add the proper amount of oil. They didn't believe me, finally after huffing and puffing at how I was bothering them, they checked the dip stick and it was 3 quarts low. While waiting for the tech to come add the rest of the oil, I inspected the car. Horrifying!!!! An open ball point pen was shoved into my seat (last visit my seat had sharp shards of a broken button off of someone's pants), someone had spit chewing tobacco on the side of my car, there was a wet, dirty muddy patch where they leaned on my car, they overfilled the windshield washer fluid and there was blue washer fluid all over the front of my engine compartment. It didn't even need filling. Finally the tech added the oil at the same time some guy came out and wanted to chat me up about the car so I didn't get a good look at what the tech was doing. I finally had to interrupt and ask the tech if he just dumped the oil in or if he actually checked the stick. Oh boy did I just ask waaay too much of him. He grabbed the dipstick, yanked it out, took his hand and rudely jerked his hand down the stick spewing oil all over my car so he could show me. I looked at the oil drops all over the inside and out of my car and he had the nerve to ask "Did I do that?" 3 hours later I was finally home in my garage, popped the hood and something with oil had been set on top of my battery cover boot. Oil was running down the sides and under the boot. It was dark so I did the best I could trying to use my products to remove the petroleum based crap on my paint and under my hood. Dealer guy called me yesterday, I asked for a meeting to show them the pictures I took and discuss future shop visits. He wants the pictures but doesn't want a face to face meeting. I really wanted to love this car but it is actually taking a toll on my health. I have only been able to drive it 5k miles since I bought it. I am still in negotiations with Ford because the pistons have gotten so bad. The front end has a drag that they can hear and feel but can't figure out what's wrong. Sorry, I'm just going to stop here. It's a novel and I haven't begun to touch on Ford's customer service or extreme lack there of. I have tried everything. I am screwed into keeping the car because I invested in it and upgrades. I will never be able to sell it for what I have into it. Which I would have no problem with IF the car was decent and didn't give me chest pains every time I look at it. I have always had Ford's and trusted how great and dependable they've been. So when it comes time to fork out the big bucks and jump in, I get the worst car I have ever owned. At this point I'm not even sure the oil they put it is the 5/50 considering they didn't know how many quarts to add. Watch your dealers and inspect your car with a microscope. I know these are great cars if you get one that wasn't built by Keith and Phil. Good luck to any of you with issues and have fun enjoying to those who have the decently built cars!
    Wow, what a mess. I'm truly sorry about all the problems you've had, and the dealership has added to, with your car. Guys sometimes think they have problems with dealers but it's a lot worse trying to deal with some of these jackasses when you're a woman. Most mechanics seem to think women don't know squat about cars so trying to deal with their ignorance is infuriating. One of the big reasons I take care of all my own maintenance is the experience you described. I have felt your pain and it made me angry just reading your post. Don't know if it would help but I'd really make a stink with Ford over your experience getting a simple oil change. I hope you can find another dealership with fewer neanderthals working for it so you can at least enjoy the car. Now I'm gonna go have a beer with my husband and calm down. ;-)
    NorCalGal likes this.
    2018 GT350, Orange Fury, black stripes/white accent, Convenience Pkg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors