Caliper color choice VOTE!
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Caliper color choice VOTE! within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; I am replacing mine with R spec red oem calipers. Leaving my oem gray ones free. Only 4.6k miles on them. I am going to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoXiDe

Thread: Caliper color choice VOTE!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am replacing mine with R spec red oem calipers.
    Leaving my oem gray ones free. Only 4.6k miles on them. I am going to paint them and sell them painted.
    Someone is going to own these, whatever color they want. If I can't line up a buyer now, I'll paint it a standard color (based on the popular vote) and hope it attracts the right buyer. The color is still to be decided!
    The idea is to get the R calipers on my car and recoup some cost, also hook someone up with custom painted calipers. I would just paint my own red but I'm not set up to have the car off the ground out of action that long and I'm not set up to deal with brake lines/bleeding etc. So I really just need to take another set to a mechanic and havem swapped out real quick. So I'll be buying the R calipers now.

Message me if you want to start a deal conversation. I'll paint my gray cores whatever color you want. Payment upon completion/pictures etc. Brembo decals, clearcoat and everything. These will look oem quality and be beautiful.
    Others are charging $1500 just to paint your calipers....I'm going to be asking $1099 shipped. Still less than the oem R's and way less than the competition, and you get choice of color. And this isn't for a core exhange, this is for a whole set of cores properly painted (acetoned, fully cleaned, high heat primer, 3 coats high heat caliper paint, decals and 2 coats high heat clear)

If you are not interested, please VOTE on the color you think I should paint the calipers! Yellow, Blue, Gloss Black, Red (like the R's...) White, WHATEVER! Any color VHT makes I can do.

Thanks!
    Nick
    Last edited by nicosuave1; 10-02-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Nico,

Why not just paint them yourself while they're on the car? Do the following:

1) Order the G2 Paint $50 | https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-L.../dp/B000AUMYMM
    2) Order painters tape $5 | NOTE: To mask the bleeding cap and areas where you will not paint
    3) Order Steeda Jacking Rails $99 | https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-M...e_p_15941.html
    4) Order Jack $160| https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton...ump-62531.html
    5) Order 3 TON Jack Stands $80 (Total 4 Needed) | https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-to...FUcIgQodqEIGpw
    6) Order 1/2 Drive Nut Breaker Bar (Loosen lug nuts) $20 | https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-62729.html
    7) Order 1/2 Drive Torque Wrench $75 | https://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-...p-00913919000P
    8) Order Impact Socket Thin Wall $80 | https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    9) Order Brembo Stickers $10 (6 piston front /4 piston rear) | https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    10) Order 6 inch impact extension (leverage) $10 | https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    11) Order Wheel Chock |4 to set on one tire $40 all together | https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html
    12) Order Painters Brush $ 5 (G2 includes a brush but the bristles fall off) | https://www.amazon.com/Heartybay-10P...70_&dpSrc=srch
    NOTE: Does not include wrench nor 15 mm socket for the Steeda install

About G2 Paint: High Epoxy paint that withstands 900* of heat. Primer not necessary nor is clear as it levels out on it's own after 3-4 coats. All calipers must be done at the same time within 4-6 hours, otherwise the paint will harden afterwards making it no longer reusable.

Total OTD: $635
    VALUE: Learn skills that will allow you to repaint and jack the car later down the road as many times as you like.

G2 Video Outcome on another vehicle:
    Steeda Rail Ease of Use:
    Steeda Rail Install:
    Last edited by NoXiDe; 10-02-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    king likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about clearcoat to cover and seal in the decals?

Steeda jack rail? What's wrong with the factory jack points?

I like this suggestion, I might go this route, even though it seems a little ghetto. Just to avoid the hassle of dealing with the brake lines!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Nico,

No, need to clear. It has a high gloss finish by design that levels out to a unique clear due to the way the paint was designed.

G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems: About Us

For details on frequently asked questions regarding the G2 Paint, please review the link above. I suggested the Steeda Jack Rail because I didn't feel comfortable with the factory jack points to get all 4 wheels off the ground without it. You can give it a try and report back. Add a video, that would be awesome as I looked and invested a lot of my time to make this a safe and reasonable process.

When you attach the brembo decals it would be after the paint has dried off completely. You would not put any clear on it as it would turn yellowish after a while due to rain and the heat of the brakes.

In regards to the outcome, it will look ghetto if you start out with a poor attitude and perform a sloppy job. Take your time to prepare it and mask the areas that don't need to be painted. I recommended purchasing professional paint brushes for a reason so it's not a poor sloppy outcome. Have fun while your doing it. There's enough paint to paint the engine cover's FORD PERFORMANCE letters. While it's drying I'm going to knock that out at the same time.

Just have fun with it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to sand blast it and have it professionally painted. However, locally I could have it done for 100 dollars a caliper at my local ALLOY WHEEL REPAIR shop. Powercoated. I'm trying to avoid having to leave the car with any shop because I can't trust ANY shop to not take the car for a joyride.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosuave1 View Post
    I am replacing mine with R spec red oem calipers.
    Leaving my oem gray ones free. Only 4.6k miles on them. I am going to paint them and sell them painted.
    Someone is going to own these, whatever color they want. If I can't line up a buyer now, I'll paint it a standard color (based on the popular vote) and hope it attracts the right buyer. The color is still to be decided!
    The idea is to get the R calipers on my car and recoup some cost, also hook someone up with custom painted calipers. I would just paint my own red but I'm not set up to have the car off the ground out of action that long and I'm not set up to deal with brake lines/bleeding etc. So I really just need to take another set to a mechanic and havem swapped out real quick. So I'll be buying the R calipers now.

Message me if you want to start a deal conversation. I'll paint my gray cores whatever color you want. Payment upon completion/pictures etc. Brembo decals, clearcoat and everything. These will look oem quality and be beautiful.
    Others are charging $1500 just to paint your calipers....I'm going to be asking $1099 shipped. Still less than the oem R's and way less than the competition, and you get choice of color. And this isn't for a core exhange, this is for a whole set of cores properly painted (acetoned, fully cleaned, high heat primer, 3 coats high heat caliper paint, decals and 2 coats high heat clear)

If you are not interested, please VOTE on the color you think I should paint the calipers! Yellow, Blue, Gloss Black, Red (like the R's...) White, WHATEVER! Any color VHT makes I can do.

Thanks!
    Nick
    I swear I am always a day late and a dollar short.

Mine has stripe delete. Red calipers are great but I like to be really different. I decided Ford was blue and Chevy was orange. So I finally decided on masking off the top Brembo part and painting the rest of the caliper probably the metallic lightning blue. Instead of a stripe package, I'm having pin striping in the matching blue outlining where the stripe package would be and then accenting the blue with a thinner ingot silver to tie in the car emblems. So I have a shadow black car and it will look like gloss black stripes pin striped with dark metallic blue accented with matte silver around the outside. If I decide I don't like the "fake" stripe look, I can remove the pin stripe no big deal.

My original point being I can't work a deal with you as my shop has already ordered the samples to match and have deposit. I don't do the detailed work like that myself anymore, I'm middle aged and my hands shake.

Good luck with your vote.
    They say "The third time's the charm"...waiting on replacement car #2 (will be my third try at an acceptable GT350 build). 2020 Shadow Black, technology package, handling package, exposed carbon fiber dash, custom blue calipers and custom painted center wheel caps.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Or use the two part epoxy kit for $53 and do two at a time - at night and that will be ready for stickers in the morning - comes with the cleaner, the paint and the hardener plus a brush - as the paint dries it pulls tight to eliminate the brush lines. No bleeding - just remove wheel - clean as good as humanly possible - lil painter tape on the lines - some good tunes and you are in the zone. It’s really an easy project - or if you are good with a heat gun, wrap them like they do for the exotics
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350 with 875 Whipple

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellOnWheels View Post

Mine has stripe delete. Red calipers are great but I like to be really different. I decided Ford was blue and Chevy was orange. So I finally decided on masking off the top Brembo part and painting the rest of the caliper probably the metallic lightning blue. Instead of a stripe package, I'm having pin striping in the matching blue outlining where the stripe package would be and then accenting the blue with a thinner ingot silver to tie in the car emblems. So I have a shadow black car and it will look like gloss black stripes pin striped with dark metallic blue accented with matte silver around the outside. If I decide I don't like the "fake" stripe look, I can remove the pin stripe no big deal.

My original point being I can't work a deal with you as my shop has already ordered the samples to match and have deposit. I don't do the detailed work like that myself anymore, I'm middle aged and my hands shake.

It's ok! I am probably just going to paint mine on the car...simple jack over here. This thread was started when I was feeling overly ambitious. Good luck with your project, sounds neat!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YBLEHSGT350 View Post
    Or use the two part epoxy kit for $53 and do two at a time - at night and that will be ready for stickers in the morning - comes with the cleaner, the paint and the hardener plus a brush - as the paint dries it pulls tight to eliminate the brush lines. No bleeding - just remove wheel - clean as good as humanly possible - lil painter tape on the lines - some good tunes and you are in the zone. It’s really an easy project - or if you are good with a heat gun, wrap them like they do for the exotics
    2 part epoxy kit? Link? I was gonna go the G2 kit route...I even had one guy say he painted his with high temp rustoleum from the hardware store and a 1" foam brush, and that it's lasted 5+ years no touch ups needed.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so just painting my own calipers now I guess. Now the question becomes what is the best color to go with my white/blue stripes car? Red? Black? Neon green? lol. TELL MEEEEE

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellOnWheels View Post

Your pin striping plan sounds interesting. Would love to see some photos when you get done. I take it this is a tape job, not paint?
    2018 GT350, Orange Fury, black stripes/white accent, Convenience Pkg.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors