My First Oil Change - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

My First Oil Change

This is a discussion on My First Oil Change within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Since they only put 8 quarts in it you best make sure they put in 8 quarts of the proper oil for the GT 350...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My First Oil Change

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Since they only put 8 quarts in it you best make sure they put in 8 quarts of the proper oil for the GT 350

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    Since they only put 8 quarts in it you best make sure they put in 8 quarts of the proper oil for the GT 350
    Oooohhhh, that's a great point. Ford has so many vehicles they spec 5W20 for, and the fact they have vats of 5W20 fed from a system that feeds the whole shop, that shit has happened. The tech doing the oil change just grabs his local nozzle and gets to fillin! After all, it's just another oil change. Forgot who it was, but that has already happened to one of us.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    Checked the spec on invoice multiple times .... it states the proper oil

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Uuuummm, that's because your car takes 10 quarts.
    Are you suggesting this is new information ?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hetzerrr View Post
    Are you suggesting this is new information ?
    No sir, not at all. I'm suggesting it sounded like this is new information to you. I'm suggesting your original statement made it sound like you didn't understand why your oil was low on the dipstic; or thus I took it as such. You saw eight quarts on the receipt but still drove away? That highly suggest you didn't know how much oil your car takes. If I misunderstood, I do apologize.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That my friend is not good maintenance, not cheap insurance, that is nothing but a pure waste of money (and resources if you're into that).

I had a conversation with BlackStone on this very topic (because I have another vehicle that is not a daily driver) and they informed me with good oil results, there is no empirical data, oil reports, or otherwise that support changing oil on time alone (e.g. X miles or one year). Even IF, six months is a waste. But, I'm certain I do things other may also think is dumb; to each his own.
    Well I've been do'n it this way for a long time. On my '61 and '67 I change the oil every 1,000 miles or annually which ever comes first and I've owned them both since they were new. The only car I've ever owned that was faster than my '61 was my M6 (delimited).

I did find this in my 2018 GT350 Mustang Supplement -

"you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from your last oil change"

Grace and Peace,
    2018 GT350
    1967 GT350
    1961 Starliner

gdi
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu367 View Post
    When I called my local Ford service center to ask how much experience they have with the 350, he put me on hold. When he came back, he asked "what was that, a Gt 300? And that's why I'm changing the oil myself.
    I have about 1025 miles, and decided to change it now. I called the most recommended dealer in Connecticut and he can't do it for 3 weeks, 2nd dealer asked me "a 350 what?", the third said they can do it next week, and it would be $39.95, I said that it would be 10 quarts of full synthetic and then she said "in that case it'll be $79.95. So, I went to dealer 3 and bought a case of oil, filter and new plug. I have a passenger side Ford catch can coming tomorrow, so I'll put that on this weekend and then change the oil when I get my jacking rails installed....

What a shame these things are sold by some pretty clueless dealers. I came from a 911 and the dealers were expensive, but they seemed to know what they are doing...
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
    I did find this in my 2018 GT350 Mustang Supplement -

"you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from your last oil change"
    LOL...of all the great info on oil change intervals, guidelines, recommendations, and maintenance schedules in that book, you found that one little sentence buried in a paragraph somewhere?! And that's not even a maintenance recommendation. And you didn't even include the sentence in its entirety for context, you picked out what you wanted it to say, and delivered it out of context...

"If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals."

(this paragraph/guidance is only making the assumption you're using the oil life monitor as directed, and something happened to it and thus you don't know how old your oil is. That's it.)

So only under that isolated condition are they remotely recommending six months or 5,000 miles, but the very next sentence in that same paragraph also allows for up to one year and 10,000 miles. And I am soooo sincerely not trying to pick a fight or anything or trying to talk you into changing your practice, but folks will read that incomplete sentence and think you found a book requirement to change the oil that often when nothing could be further from the truth. Just clarifying.
    Last edited by galaxy; 08-24-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And I am soooo sincerely not trying to pick a fight or anything or trying to talk you into changing your practice, but folks will read that incomplete sentence and think you found a book requirement to change the oil that often when nothing could be further from the truth. Just clarifying.
    I know you're not. I enjoy the conversation with different perspectives.

Slightly off topic, but it's time to start thinking about the upcoming Texas Mile.
    2018 GT350
    1967 GT350
    1961 Starliner

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
    I know you're not. I enjoy the conversation with different perspectives.

Slightly off topic, but it's time to start thinking about the upcoming Texas Mile.
    OK, good! And uuuugggg...so jealous! I really want to use my car for it's intended purpose (I broke it in hard and have zero inhibitions about running the snot out of her), but I'm a single dad that just started a new career this year. That's not a plea for sympathy or anything, just a full plate that prevents me from traveling to do all the motorsports stuff I'd love to do! Have every intention of getting involved someday, and the Texas Mile is certainly on my list.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors