Break in procedure
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Break in procedure

This is a discussion on Break in procedure within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Break in procedure, just wondering what owners are doing and what Ford recommends? Iím still waiting for mine (ordered 6 weeks ago) trying to be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Break in procedure

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Break in procedure

Break in procedure, just wondering what owners are doing and what Ford recommends?

Iím still waiting for mine (ordered 6 weeks ago) trying to be patient, just want to be as prepared as possible.

Oxford White, Blue over the top stripe, track package.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bry View Post
    Break in procedure, just wondering what owners are doing and what Ford recommends?

I’m still waiting for mine (ordered 6 weeks ago) trying to be patient, just want to be as prepared as possible.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2015.pdf

Happy reading!
    Paul Bry likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's see. We drove ours about 200miles on the freeway varying speeds and rpm. Followed by about 300 miles on the dyno to write tunes. Now we pulled everything apart to inspect and it all looked perfect.
    Well except the clutch and pilot bearing... they were trash!
    Maybe not what Ford recommends but looks good! Since it was apart, we went ahead and stuffed it with real forged rods and pistons. So now when it goes back together we will put about 500 miles on it before we add crazy boost and upgraded clutch.
    Tankman and Paul Bry like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Tankman that is very helpful! I would much rather get all that reading out of the way before the call is sitting in the driveway.

I got a call from the sales rep a few days ago and he said the car is now in "Bucked" status and had a date of 5/21/16, but he was not sure exactly what that date was for?

Definitely appreciate your help!
    Tankman likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bry View Post

I?m still waiting for mine (ordered 6 weeks ago) trying to be patient, just want to be as prepared as possible.

I'm going to break mine in for a solid 500 and wait til 1,000 to even touch 8k rpm after an oil change. I'm waiting on the guys who drive em hard and the guys who put power adders on and drive em hard to post any issues they had before I go puttin a 2nd year production engine through any real heavy stress. That's just me.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice and gentle for the first 1,000 km (warm her up by driving her gently, and let her idle for a minute before turning off), never going above 3K rpm - 4K rpm, never use the cruise control (vary the speed using your right foot). Then, once you hit the 1K km mark you should change the oil and filter then start having some fun (but ALWAYS warm the engine up by gently driving her).

The above technique is as supplied to me by an F1 engine oil guy. There's a school of thought that says you should drive them as if you stole them (since it supposedly helps seat the rings to the cylinder liners) but he (and I) don't subscribe to that way of thinking. Not saying we're right, just saying we like the nice and gentle approach.
    Last edited by Spitfire; 09-21-2016 at 05:37 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,
    I'm an engineer of the old school and logic - Ford told me to stay at 3-4k for first 500 miles - then no more than 7k for the next 500 then it should be 'run-in' - now, from an engineering perspective - the engine is new and all the moving parts are still as manufactured, therefore there will be a microscopic roughness to all the parts, even though there is a lot of oil - also metal needs to harden under temperature (things like cams and followers) - so after running the engine as described above, you will need to change the oil as there will be particles of metal 'sanded' off all the parts - I've always treated an engine gently for the first 1000 miles and I've never had any engine problems after that. hope this view was useful..

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am a little confused

I keep hearing wait 100 miles to go over 4000 or 4500 rpms, but my GT350 supplement guide says this

BREAKING-IN Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions. Note: Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

so according to Ford, after 100 miles can do extended wide open throttle, so to me once you have over 100 miles you can get on it and enjoy it on the street. I would think 6000 rpms after 100 miles should be ok, or am I totally wrong
    2017 GT500
    Focus ST

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonsStang View Post
    I am a little confused

I keep hearing wait 100 miles to go over 4000 or 4500 rpms, but my GT350 supplement guide says this

BREAKING-IN Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions. Note: Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

so according to Ford, after 100 miles can do extended wide open throttle, so to me once you have over 100 miles you can get on it and enjoy it on the street. I would think 6000 rpms after 100 miles should be ok, or am I totally wrong
    That should be fine. I had 100 miles on the car before I got home. I kept from pushing it hard till 1000 miles, but occasional WOT worked into the drives during that time. Just make sure to watch your oil level once you start pushing the motor. A little consumption is normal, but some have seen amounts deeming engine replacements.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting for mine. I ordered it 8/24. they said in a couple weeks. we have an invoice from Ford ad a VIN.

good luck and have fun!

Mel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors