Break in procedure - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Break in procedure

This is a discussion on Break in procedure within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Originally Posted by MRXC I’m aligned with your statement, and with “regular” motors, I’ve driven it like I stole it straight out of the dealership. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Break in procedure

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRXC View Post
    I’m aligned with your statement, and with “regular” motors, I’ve driven it like I stole it straight out of the dealership. But this is not a regular motor; it’s a FPC that is prone to more vibrations than a CPC motor, and with any rotating assembly, vibrations are not a good thing, which is likely why the supplement manual states what it does.
    So to answer your question, maybe because of other member’s FPC motors have blown up? I paid attention to the 1000 mi specified in the supplement manual, and added the suggestion from other members to gradually increase the RPM as the mileage increased to allow things to seat at higher rpms and load progressively.
    The supplement manual literally says;” Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions.
    Note: Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.”
    So, what is a “performance” condition? Is it maybe going WOT from ~3300 to 7500 RPM through 1st through 3rd gears? Furthermore, I interpret the additional note as “engine speed” as well as overall speed, hence how I broke it in, and I think the fact the note is after the 1000 mi statement to mean that the “varying speed” applies to the 1000 mi and not just the first 100 mi.
    Let me ask how you broke yours in, and how many miles it has on it now, and what oil consumption or any other conditions you’re experiencing? Does the procedure I followed make you nervous because you hammered the crap out of it just past 100 mi?
    I’m not trying to be contentious or combative; just trying to understand the source of your concern for how I broke-in Enchantress.
    If you did hammer it to 7500 rpm just past 100 mi, have no oil consumption or any other issues and have a considerable mileage on the car/engine, I’m very happy for you!
    If you have to say you aren't being contentious, then you probably are

My car only has 65 miles on it, so I don't have any data related to this particular vehicle to support my opinion.

That being said, I have been racing Porsches for years... Rebuilds are part of the hobby. The engines go straight from the build room into the car, on to the dyno for run in and tuning, a 30 min test and tune on track to make sure it's all working correctly, and then full-on race conditions.

With regard to this particular vehicle, Ford's supplement re break-in is pretty clear. At least to me... Go easy for the first 100 miles, avoiding sustained WOT and high RPM. Performance or competition conditions are easily interpreted as well. Racing or HPDE's where you will likely be maintaining WOT and high rpm for sessions lasting 20 minutes or longer. Drastically different than a quick blast through a couple of gears, that lasts 10-15 seconds...

I'm fairly convinced the 1k mile suggestion is to ensure that everything is functioning properly with the brakes, transmission, electronics, etc... Better to get it sorted on the street and have it corrected by the dealer if there is a problem before encountering a potential catastrophic failure on track that could result in serious injury or death.

I'm also fairly convinced that most of these break-in warnings come from the attorneys, who are fearful that new sports car owners will wrap their cars around a pole within the first 10 mins of ownership. The prescribed break-in procedure gives the new owner an opportunity to become more familiar w the car before engaging in potentially riskier behavior.

There's nothing wrong w the way you broke your car in. Is it necessary? Probably not. Did it hurt the car? Nah.

Me? Once I get over 100 miles, I'll have a little fun with it in short bursts where it's safe. Once I get close to 1k miles, I'll take to the dealer for a full inspection and possibly an oil change, then off to the track it goes

Plus, as long as you keep it stock, don't do anything crazy like jump a few school buses at the county fair, and follow the manual... Ford is going to warranty the powertrain for 5 years. So there's that even if I'm wrong LOL

All the best! Enjoy your car! So far I'm having a lot of fun w my "white trash Ferrari"

From Ford's published supplement on Break-In:

Your vehicle requires a break-in period.
    Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi
    (160 km) before performing extended wide
    open throttle maneuvers and at least
    1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance
    or competition conditions.
    Note: Vary your speed frequently in order
    to give the moving parts a chance to break
    in.
    Eric The MadMan likes this.
    2019 GT350R (white/blue stripes)
    1985 Porsche 911 (street)
    1979 Porsche 911 (race)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seriously, I stated that to clarify that I wasn’t looking to offend you with my statements!
    I agree with the statement regarding Ford lawyers and liability...
    I’m loving the car...driving it daily because on Monday my home leave is over and I head back to Africa for 6 months...won’t be able to drive her until July. I’ve defined a specific route (~6 mi) and max shift points (4000) for my son to take her out once a week and get everything to operating temperature without putting a whole bunch of mileage on her (6x6x4 =144 mi).
    Be safe DeputyDog95!
    2019 GT350 (K2371): “The Enchantress”
    Velocity Blue w/White Stripes, Electronics Package, Vehicle Cover, non-Recaro Leather AC seats, both P & D side FP catch-cans, and FP air filter.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I would side with caution but not abide by it - Flipped to Whipple and billet oil pump at 300 miles, dyno'd to 906bhp 791rwh - under 500 miles saw over 180mph and today it's even faster, dyno'd one more time and the rev limit is tuned to 8100 - no oil consumption to speak of, Whipple catch can, McLeod clutch, and not a single mechanical - 15,000 miles - 7 oils changed because I care. By the way - still over half-life on the SuperSports 305 & 325 - so it's not had the hell beat out of it, just had her legs stretched like the thoroughbred she is.

certainly, the wrong way and a massive roll of the dice but I have done it my way for dozens of vehicles - we used to tune on Engine Dyno's before the engines went in the car - so wrung out beyond belief has always worked for me...

Name:  Blower.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  912.4 KB
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350 with 875 Whipple

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, YEBLEHSGT350! Congratulations on the car and massive set of attachments!
    Velocity Blue w/White Stripes, Electronics Package, Vehicle Cover, non-Recaro Leather AC seats, both P & D side FP catch-cans, and FP air filter.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I know I am adding to a very old thread, but I have received my 2019 just in time to put it into winter storage. Is it OK to start it and let it idle, to charge the battery, or does it need the rpm to vary since it is so new? It has about 5 miles at this time.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YBLEHSGT350 View Post
    Well, I would side with caution but not abide by it - Flipped to Whipple and billet oil pump at 300 miles, dyno'd to 906bhp 791rwh - under 500 miles saw over 180mph and today it's even faster, dyno'd one more time and the rev limit is tuned to 8100 - no oil consumption to speak of, Whipple catch can, McLeod clutch, and not a single mechanical - 15,000 miles - 7 oils changed because I care. By the way - still over half-life on the SuperSports 305 & 325 - so it's not had the hell beat out of it, just had her legs stretched like the thoroughbred she is.

certainly, the wrong way and a massive roll of the dice but I have done it my way for dozens of vehicles - we used to tune on Engine Dyno's before the engines went in the car - so wrung out beyond belief has always worked for me...

Name:  Blower.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  912.4 KB

I see the strut bar. I thought if you had a whipple, you had to lower the engine and lost the strut bar (?) on a gt350

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeFan View Post
    So I know I am adding to a very old thread, but I have received my 2019 just in time to put it into winter storage. Is it OK to start it and let it idle, to charge the battery, or does it need the rpm to vary since it is so new? It has about 5 miles at this time.
    IMO it is a BAD idea to just start any car in cold weather and let it idle, for any reason, especially a new car which needs the engine broken in under load. Letting it idle will just accumulate crankcase moisture and potential oil contaminates as it will not allow oil temps to get to the level to drive that stuff off. If you can't go for at least a 30 min drive then don't. If the battery is a concern put it on a tender.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2ms View Post
    IMO it is a BAD idea to just start any car in cold weather and let it idle, for any reason, especially a new car which needs the engine broken in under load. Letting it idle will just accumulate crankcase moisture and potential oil contaminates as it will not allow oil temps to get to the level to drive that stuff off. If you can't go for at least a 30 min drive then don't. If the battery is a concern put it on a tender.
    Gotta agree. I’m in West Africa and can;t drive mine, so once a week my (26 yr old) son takes it out on a prescribed route and drives it 16 miles. This allows the motor, tranny and rear diff to reach normal operating temps and keeps everything flowing and charged. Granted, we live in TX so no snow or extreme cold temps. In your case, I’d put it on a tender to keep the battery healthy until you can drive it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2ms View Post
    Gotta agree. I’m in West Africa and can;t drive mine, so once a week my (26 yr old) son takes it out on a prescribed route and drives it 16 miles. This allows the motor, tranny and rear diff to reach normal operating temps and keeps everything flowing and charged. Granted, we live in TX so no snow or extreme cold temps. In your case, I’d put it on a tender to keep the battery healthy until you can drive it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1.25 Inch drop mounts - 9mm/5mm custom billet spacers on the strut bar - 6mm fitment top of the blower case to bar - clean and very simple
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350 with 875 Whipple

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors