Random Misfire problem.
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Random Misfire problem.

This is a discussion on Random Misfire problem. within the Mustang GT350 General Discussions forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; So My 2016 GT 350 #G0484 tonight is still in the shop at my local Ford Dealer. It has had a random misfire since purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Random Misfire problem.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Random Misfire problem.

So My 2016 GT 350 #G0484 tonight is still in the shop at my local Ford Dealer. It has had a random misfire since purchase that only seems to happen between 2,500 and 4,00 RPM. This is the second dealer to look at this, they call it a "Random Misfire". I am told that it moves around between 6 of the 8 cylinders. Calls today to the FORD Hot line have gone un-answered as have E-mails according to Sunnyvale Ford here in the SF Bay Area. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have a good Contact at Ford Performance that i can call.

I asked to have the oil changes as am heading to Thunder Hill on the 22nd for an open track day, the Car has less than 2,500 miles and i was also told that, when they checked., the oil level it was 4 1/2 quarts low... no clue on this as well..

Thanks

Charlie Major
    650-814-9971

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What octane fuel are you running?

4.5 its low? Hard to believe, should have set off low oil lights and would have seen low oil pressure. That seems to be wrong.
    zstansel likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah...damn...that's 1/2 of capacity, pretty much....800 367 3788 is Ford Performance...any of the guys there are VERY helpful...i think Issac is the guy i remember
    Tankman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmudd View Post
    So My 2016 GT 350 #G0484 tonight is still in the shop at my local Ford Dealer. It has had a random misfire since purchase that only seems to happen between 2,500 and 4,00 RPM. This is the second dealer to look at this, they call it a "Random Misfire". I am told that it moves around between 6 of the 8 cylinders. Calls today to the FORD Hot line have gone un-answered as have E-mails according to Sunnyvale Ford here in the SF Bay Area. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have a good Contact at Ford Performance that i can call.

I asked to have the oil changes as am heading to Thunder Hill on the 22nd for an open track day, the Car has less than 2,500 miles and i was also told that, when they checked., the oil level it was 4 1/2 quarts low... no clue on this as well..

Thanks

Charlie Major
    650-814-9971
    Hey Charlie,
    Very sorry to hear of your problems and I hope they get resolved soon. 4 1/2 is a huge amount to lose, have you seen any drops/puddles where you park? I've heard the cooler has suspect connections on some 350s. Also, some have reported, and I've had this with mine, the slight smell of the assembly oils burning off. Did you have any of this?
    Regarding the misfire, could you Describe the symptoms your car had? Hope no damage was done?
    Good Luck,,,
    Jim

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    cdmudd- Do you have any updates on the misfires? Pretty old thread I'm bumping, sorry.

I'm asking because picking up my car it had a misfire code on cylinder #6. Went directly into the shop and they cleared the code and did a relearn and all was well until 400 miles later. My wife was driving the car and it threw the code again for #6 cylinder again. It's now back at Ford and they checked the coil pack and injector for #6 and all is okay. They have a call into Ford as they are stumped by what is causing this issue.

When the misfire code happened to me during pickup I could feel it misfire. Pretty disappointed that I've had two codes in 400 miles of ownership. What is even more worrisome is they are thinking its an electrical issue which could be a nightmare...

Appreciate if anyone has any information on this issue.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRide View Post
    cdmudd- Do you have any updates on the misfires? Pretty old thread I'm bumping, sorry.

I'm asking because picking up my car it had a misfire code on cylinder #6. Went directly into the shop and they cleared the code and did a relearn and all was well until 400 miles later. My wife was driving the car and it threw the code again for #6 cylinder again. It's now back at Ford and they checked the coil pack and injector for #6 and all is okay. They have a call into Ford as they are stumped by what is causing this issue.

When the misfire code happened to me during pickup I could feel it misfire. Pretty disappointed that I've had two codes in 400 miles of ownership. What is even more worrisome is they are thinking its an electrical issue which could be a nightmare...

Appreciate if anyone has any information on this issue.
    I would be more suspect of of an injector problem vs. a coil issue. Coils have a couple different codes which will also be present during a misfire which point at either primary or secondary coil mailfudnctions. An injector issue can be mechanical (dirt or mechine particular disrupting fuel flow) or an intermittent open (wirting or connector or injector itself) of the injector winding.
    I would hope the dealership has made all the connection double checks to remedy any simple answer. Good Luck!

(FYI, on issues as original post, Random misfires are usually caused by a Global engine control issue. Bad gas is many times the culprit. Anything that can effect all cylinders equally.)
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    I would be more suspect of of an injector problem vs. a coil issue. Coils have a couple different codes which will also be present during a misfire which point at either primary or secondary coil mailfudnctions. An injector issue can be mechanical (dirt or mechine particular disrupting fuel flow) or an intermittent open (wirting or connector or injector itself) of the injector winding.
    I would hope the dealership has made all the connection double checks to remedy any simple answer. Good Luck!

(FYI, on issues as original post, Random misfires are usually caused by a Global engine control issue. Bad gas is many times the culprit. Anything that can effect all cylinders equally.)
    Thanks for the reply. All simple answers have been checked including replacing the injector and coil. Car has had a compression check and all is within spec. Car is still throwing the misfire code for cylinder #6... The dealership is waiting on Ford for the next steps on what to try. Depending on what Ford says to try next will determine what MY actions will be. I’m not okay with them tearing into the engine as they had mentioned they may need to take the heads off for further inspection. At that point I want a different car. My car has been in the shop longer than I’ve had it in my garage. Very frustrating.

I’ve tried searching for this issue and there doesn’t seem to be many cases out there. Even worse is the few threads I’ve found on this issue is open ended with no resolution.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any luck with your issue ?

I am experiencing the P0300 random misfire codes as well as P0025 Camshaft Position. No permanent codes yet but an intermittent engine check light recently.

No resolution at present.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hetzerrr View Post
    Any luck with your issue ?

I am experiencing the P0300 random misfire codes as well as P0025 Camshaft Position. No permanent codes yet but an intermittent engine check light recently.

No resolution at present.
    No resolution to the problem. The dealer tried the following:

-Swapped injector and coil pack on the cylinder that was misfiring. Did not fix the issue.
    -Replaced the wiring harness on the car. The car started misfiring on different cylinders within a couple of miles.
    -The next steps are to pull the valve covers and check for any broken mechanical parts and then pull the heads to check the internals.

I’m not a mechanic but I’ve worked on all my cars and bikes all my life. This problem seems like an electrical issue since the misfires are jumping around and I don’t hear anything mechanical going on but I could be wrong obviously. Good luck with your issue.

As for my car... my dealer stepped up and replaced it since they’ve had it for two weeks while I only had if for three days. The misfire code was present during delivery so obviously this was a problem from the factory I’m guessing? I questioned why the car had 24 miles on it as this seemed high for a GT 350 that doesn’t get test driven... I was at the dealer multiple times and made it clear that I was not okay with them opening up the engine. I’d only take the original car back if it was a simple fix.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRide View Post
    Thanks for the reply. All simple answers have been checked including replacing the injector and coil. Car has had a compression check and all is within spec. Car is still throwing the misfire code for cylinder #6... The dealership is waiting on Ford for the next steps on what to try. Depending on what Ford says to try next will determine what MY actions will be. I’m not okay with them tearing into the engine as they had mentioned they may need to take the heads off for further inspection. At that point I want a different car. My car has been in the shop longer than I’ve had it in my garage. Very frustrating.

I’ve tried searching for this issue and there doesn’t seem to be many cases out there. Even worse is the few threads I’ve found on this issue is open ended with no resolution.
    I would also be looking for cylinder leak down. This tells more than a compression check (which I’m sure they did wrong). There should be no more than <5% leakdown in any cylinder.
    BobSoFine likes this.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors