excessive oil consumption - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

excessive oil consumption

This is a discussion on excessive oil consumption within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Just putting my 2 cents in, but I bought a 2017 GT350 in Aug of 2016, and have had no issues with oil consumption. This ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: excessive oil consumption

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just putting my 2 cents in, but I bought a 2017 GT350 in Aug of 2016, and have had no issues with oil consumption. This thread is long and I'm late to it, but just wanted to put in my word. Are there any running theories why some of these engines have this issue?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't believe that the builder has done anything wrong, at least for the High oil consumption I believe is partially due to the poor break in process, and the use of Fully Synthetic oil. I have been reading a lot about break in procedures used by High-performance engine builders.

Here are three good links to why I believe Fords break in procedure is wrong.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/disp...mance-academy/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...the-right-way/

What's the right way to break-in an engine?

And why Ford has not done an engine break in at the factory like all production motors are.
    Even the Terminator engines went through a break in after they were built.
    Not putting miles on your Shelby GT350 is like not having sex with your girlfriend to make her more desirable for the next man.

2017 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Ruby Red Tinted CC, Black Stripes w/white accents (Name is Deadpool)
    2005 Mustang GT Mineral Gray - Drag Racing ([email protected] 110) Track (Could not corner very well, more like Drifting) - Sold
    2015 Taurus SHO - Sold
    2017 Ford Flex Eco-Boost - Current
    2014 F-150 Eco-Boost - Gone

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GT350-H6088 View Post
    I complained to the Dealer about my 2017 GT350 using a qt every 150 miles, he laughed and said there is no way your car burns that much oil and not smoke...
    But he started the warranty paperwork to do the oil consumption test.
    they changed the oil, marked the dip stick and put in a leak test dye. told me to come back after 200 miles.
    So I did, and the service adviser had to apologize to me when he got the results from the tech.
    My Car used 1.5 qts in 220 miles. He said that is the worse he has ever seen.

they did a compression test and it was fine, so he said that he is pretty sure Ford is going to Replace the Motor.

Now I am bummed, what will this do to the value of the car? will this introduce other issues?
    poor install? the car runs perfect, no problems except when its 2 qts low, I can tell, the engine sounds different to me.
    other than that I love this car and hate that I have to go through this..

Oil Consumption started around 4000 miles by 8000 miles it was worse
    Build Date: 9/17
    Engine Builders Jeff Hamblin & Robert O'Malley Jr.
    I had 2 engines replaced on my 2016 GT350. Thank GAWD its a lease and it it almost up. Still looks like it came off the lot. I drive my Porsche more than I drive the 350.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, Hell! that just puts in a whole other perspective!!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No matter how much some say its because its a performance engine or how you drive it (no rime or reason no matter how its driven) There are so many that consume lots of oil sooner or later and have to have the engine replaced its getting obvious there is a design flaw of sorts with the Voodoo. And Ford ain't talking. I got rid of both my 16 and 17 both very low miles and a quart every 2,000 miles. Then when you do get a replacement motor you pray the yahoo working at dealership doesn't scratch the car all up and gets everything back together right. Sad!
    RJay likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2017 with high oil consumption. I am at 14k miles. I noticed it used a good amount of oil from the get but then has gradually increased. I now have it in the shop for this, and ac out for 2nd time along with a crack on the back deck lid by the emblem. My since my last 5 k oil change I have put 9 its of oil in. They are starting an oil consumption test and need to bring it back in 1000 miles to check level. I informed them it will be in in less than a 1k miles since it is using a lot of oil. They have found no cracks or leaks. I have seen on start up two times where it blows out blue smoke like it is burning oil.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to the new Voodoo engine replacement so many have had done under warranty. Hope you have reputable dealership service department that won't scratch your car up and get everything back together right.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't say I have real confidence in the two Ford service departments I have been using. This is my 6th mustang but first Shelby not to mention the 5 other Fords I have owned. Using oil like this can not be normal and I worry about the car being damaged if engine is replaced and non-matching numbers on the build that would ruin the retail value. At this point I will see what Ford does but I am considering my next move to another car and possibly another brand.
    johnny1 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am going through the consumption test now as well and will more than likely be getting a new engine.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please. Ford produces approximately 11k GT350's per year since 2016, so a couple failed and some consume oil, who fucking cares. Ypu think Porsche, Lambo and the others dont have the same issues. Stop you whiming, drive it like ya stole it, smile like sheeitte and thank god a car gave you wood!! Enough of this bitching and whining, my god.
    16 GT350 Tech Pkg.......and loving it Cheif!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors