excessive oil consumption - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

excessive oil consumption

This is a discussion on excessive oil consumption within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; I’ll try some of those in June when I drive back to visit family. Another great road is Route 2 and 4 from Buchanan to ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: excessive oil consumption

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’ll try some of those in June when I drive back to visit family. Another great road is Route 2 and 4 from Buchanan to Flatwoods. One section has turns banked at 30 degrees. It’s tight and twisty. No cops ever. I need to get a GoPro and make videos of it next time. No need to go to the Dragon and all the crap that goes on down there long as we have good routes over in Va and Wva. Pa has some nice ones too in the mountains.
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCShelby View Post
    I’ll try some of those in June when I drive back to visit family. Another great road is Route 2 and 4 from Buchanan to Flatwoods. One section has turns banked at 30 degrees. It’s tight and twisty. No cops ever. I need to get a GoPro and make videos of it next time. No need to go to the Dragon and all the crap that goes on down there long as we have good routes over in Va and Wva. Pa has some nice ones too in the mountains.
    SW PA is an embarrassment of riches for way back winding roads, but the speed limits are absurd and VASCAR[1] traps are everywhere, so you have to be careful.

[1] VASCAR is a glorified stopwatch. The po-po sits in hiding, watches you cross one painted stripe on the road and presses "start", then waits for you to cross a second line and presses "stop". The computer knows the distance and spits out the speed. Of course, even trying his very best, the officer is going to be off by some fraction of a second, which can result in an artificially high or low speed by several miles per hour. PA law requires the two stripes to be at least 0.025 miles apart to minimize the relative error, but they very often aren't. Another nasty one they use is "ESP", which uses either two beams of light or two pressure strips six feet apart. The system measures the time between breaking each of the beams or crossing each of the pressure strips, and you're nailed.

Of course, RADAR/LIDAR detectors are completely useless against these measures. Only the state police can use RADAR, by law.
    2018 GT350, Ruby Red w/black stripe, conv. pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agent337 View Post
    So a quick update, my local Ford dealer held on to my car for a few days, they checked for leaks and said that there were none. Next they checked the crankcase ventilation system for and damage or blockage, and apparently there wasn't anything wrong there. They gave me an oil change and told me to bring it back in 500 miles to compare oil levels.
    Brought back my car to the dealer after 546.6 miles to get the results of my oil consumption test, and the tech said I went through 2 quarts of oil. That's 273.3 miles per quart, so basically I am going through 1 quart of oil per tank of gas. Car is back at the dealer and now they are inspecting the spark plugs and preforming a compression and leak down test.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just hit 1000 miles today doing some spirited driving in the mountains here in CO.
    My dip stick is reading exactly the same as 0 miles and that is full.

First 500 miles i kept it under 5k and after that iv hit 6k and thats as high as iv rev/d her so far Name:  AYtj4FveSd+KzN2RrAQsCQ.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  1.78 MB

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Happy to report that my new 2018 shows zero consumption on the oil dipstick after its first 450 miles.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    That’s very interesting...as in odd interesting...that you didn’t use any significant amount of oil in the first 5,000 Miles, but then blew through 3+ quarts between 5 and 6?? That doesn’t add up.

On a separate note, 10 quarts in mine is not all the way to the top hole. It’s barely to the top of the hash marks which sit just below that. Guessing every car will vary and you should know what full is for YOUR car.
    Mine is exactly this way. Fresh after oil change, a check shows top of hash marks, not covering the top hole.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After an oil change on my 17 with canister oil filter mine will be right at half way between the top and bottom hole.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    After an oil change on my 17 with canister oil filter mine will be right at half way between the top and bottom hole.
    10 Quarts puts you in the middle of the holes? That's interesting. Guess it's irrelevant as long as you know what full is for your car, but that seems odd. Oh well.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've read some posts in the past on other forums where theirs was between the holes also. Yea technically would be 1/2 quart low from full. I don't give it a thought till level gets to bottom hole as owners supplement says. I use a quart about every 3,000 miles.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    Yea technically would be 1/2 quart low from full.
    Actually, no, it's not 1/2 quart low. Even though that sounds odd, if you added 10 quarts and that's where it comes to on your stick, then that is your full. You would not want to add that 1/2 quart just to make it come up the stick. 10 quarts is full, not "at the top of the hash marks or the top hole".

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors