Front splitter fallen off twice
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Front splitter fallen off twice within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Okay, I purchased my 350 about a month ago. My dealer found it in Kentucky and had it shipped here. While driving home the first ...

Thread: Front splitter fallen off twice

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I purchased my 350 about a month ago. My dealer found it in Kentucky and had it shipped here. While driving home the first time, the flash guard along with the front splitter fell off and was dragging under and in front of the car by just one rivet. (Don’t know if that’s the right word). Dealer told me Kentucky must have installed it incorrectly. Turns out the flash guard was cracked at some point in transport or during installation. I was assured it was put on correctly. Fast forward a month and the splitter came off again just at the snaps. It, of course, caught the ground and was beat up. It appears that there are supposed to be screws just under those clips that were not installed. My questions are: does anyone know what the proper installation is? Has anyone decided to drive their Shelby without the chin spitter? (I stick to the highways, but our town has a lot of pot holes and dips. This is a third car for me so I don’t drive it much.). Has anyone had the same experience of the splitter just coming off or should it stay on unless you really hit something? (I have not hit anything to date with the exception of scrapping on a dip twice.)

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had my shield fall off after a hood lift incident at high speed. Basically i was doing about 160 and the hood lifted so o backed off and the trapped air went downward and blew the sheild free, surprisingly enough the splitter itself didn't come loose but the guard portion under it did. There are LOTS of screw type clips that hold everything in place, if they wrong type is used i can you having issues keeping it on the car.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jeremylalla, well, they just weren’t used at all. My new dealer took pictures and the one screw/bolt that was there was cross threaded. 😞

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This has been a common issue. The splitter is installed at the dealer, and they consistently miss the 4 angled screws that go up into the front fascia. Mine were missed, and I have seen many others on the various GT350 sites that have had the same problem.
    2018 Shelby GT350
    2017 Mustang GT/CS Vert
    1966 Mustang Restomod Coupe

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GT350 front splitter

Quote Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
    This has been a common issue. The splitter is installed at the dealer, and they consistently miss the 4 angled screws that go up into the front fascia. Mine were missed, and I have seen many others on the various GT350 sites that have had the same problem.
    Well I installed mine myself about 3 years ago as I have a 2018 model. I told them not to touch it, and it was in the trunk in plastic when I picked up the car. I also told them to not touch the paint or basically anything on the car except safety items during delivery so I did not get swirls in the clear coats from them doing a bad wash and detail, lol. Anyway, its still on and straight with about 5k miles on the car. I do some spirited driving also from time to time, haha. I have bottomed it out two or three times on parking lot entries which I add to my memory banks to not go in again, haha, although if you install it properly it will take some abuse. If you google gt350 ford tech front splitter install, there are youtube videos on the installation with a Ford tech showing step by step. I believe the one was done on November 6, 2016. I did not trust the dealer with my baby, they use the same newb that does oil changes on ford fusions to install the splitters at most crap dealers. They suck period, and many people have the splitters improperly installed and fall off or are loose. See for yourself, its not that difficult, I just followed the video step by step and paused it, installed the next set of bolts, and continued. Easy peezy, auto fanatic has nice videos on GT350 also he had a 2017 I believe red one before he sold it he did a lot of videos. Thats where I got the idea for the white lettering
    Name:  IMG_1306.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  3.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_1417.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  137.1 KB

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your comments! That makes me feel a lot better. I think I’m a pretty good driver, but after it falling off twice I felt like I did something wrong. I my car back and my new dealer stated that it was installed incorrectly. It had all those bolts missing bolts. The one bolt it did have was cross threaded. It’s good to know that it should take some “abuse” without falling off. I think that’s exactly what they did: had some low level tech work on it. They wouldn’t even let me talk to the service department. This new service spent a lot of time talking to me and watched me as I felt for every bolt under the car! Lol. I don’t even let my husband drive my car.

The white lettering is nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, it happened to me while on track at VIR two weeks ago. I got the dreaded "meatball" flag (mechanical problem Go pit immediately) and at the following flag station a hazard flag only then to notice my splitter on turn 14 which got crushed. The piece that supports the chin splitter opened up like a parachute going down the back straight at 140+mph which caused he to drag on the track and road rashed it in half, just melted away. At local Ford dealer getting replaced as I type. I have video proof.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors