Lost 1st and 2nd gear
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Lost 1st and 2nd gear

This is a discussion on Lost 1st and 2nd gear within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Good evening all, So 3.5 weeks ago I was coming to a roll stop with the clutch engaged. Stopped at the red light and went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lost 1st and 2nd gear

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lost 1st and 2nd gear

Good evening all,

So 3.5 weeks ago I was coming to a roll stop with the clutch engaged. Stopped at the red light and went to shift into 1st gear and couldn't get it in, tried multiple times with no luck without forcing anything. I then tried 2nd with the same results. It was like it hit a wall. When trying to find 1st gear it would automatically go into reverse. There were no warning signs, no grinding of gears etc. I figured it was something within the gear box but didn't know exactly what it was. Fast forward 3.5 weeks later as it sits at the dealer I still have no car and no ETA on when it will be fixed. When it broke I just hit 1300 miles, its a 2019 and I've driven it like any normal person would but nothing extreme. No track days or test and tune etc.

One day after it arrived at the dealer they told me it was the gear box assembly lever that was broke and they would have to order new parts. They then said the parts were on back order and it was going to be two weeks. Well, two weeks passed and I was told again the parts were on back order again and I have to wait. I've contacted Ford customer server and opened a case but haven't really had any help with it.

Couple questions -

1. Has anyone heard of this happening and if so what was the final results.
    2. Is there anything else I can do to escalate this issue? Living in NY we're limited to nice days and I dont want to wait another couple weeks until I get it back.
    3. Once fixed is there anything I should look for, worry about or test?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    Good evening all,

So 3.5 weeks ago I was coming to a roll stop with the clutch engaged. Stopped at the red light and went to shift into 1st gear and couldn't get it in, tried multiple times with no luck without forcing anything. I then tried 2nd with the same results. It was like it hit a wall. When trying to find 1st gear it would automatically go into reverse. There were no warning signs, no grinding of gears etc. I figured it was something within the gear box but didn't know exactly what it was. Fast forward 3.5 weeks later as it sits at the dealer I still have no car and no ETA on when it will be fixed. When it broke I just hit 1300 miles, its a 2019 and I've driven it like any normal person would but nothing extreme. No track days or test and tune etc.

One day after it arrived at the dealer they told me it was the gear box assembly lever that was broke and they would have to order new parts. They then said the parts were on back order and it was going to be two weeks. Well, two weeks passed and I was told again the parts were on back order again and I have to wait. I've contacted Ford customer server and opened a case but haven't really had any help with it.

Couple questions -

1. Has anyone heard of this happening and if so what was the final results.
    2. Is there anything else I can do to escalate this issue? Living in NY we're limited to nice days and I dont want to wait another couple weeks until I get it back.
    3. Once fixed is there anything I should look for, worry about or test?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.
    That's awful!

Here's a guy on another forum that had the same issue:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...#post-16248799

Bottom Line: His OEM shifter has been on order since July and they are still out of stock. Conjecture is that every spare unit was already consumed fixing shifters under warranty and supplying the new 2019's that are still rolling down the assembly line.

His fix? He bought an MGW and the dealership installed it for free. Best part is he is back on the road and loves the new shifter. Bad part is it cost him $495 for a part that he had no intention of buying.

You will see a lot of back-and-forth on that thread, but one thing stands out to me, if you wait for weeks and weeks to get your OEM shifter, you'll still have an OEM shifter that might take a dump on you again.

If you invest in an MGW you will never have to worry about shifter failure again.

Hope this helps!
    2019 GT350 - Finally arrived!
    2014 Mustang GT - Great car! Hard to see her go!
    1965 Mustang Fastback - Wish I still had it!

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I have a 2019 with about 400 miles on it. There have been a few times when I thought I had it in 1st, only to have it pop out when I disengaged the clutch. It's not a recurring issue yet, but will continue to monitor. Doesn't help you much- sorry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RS to GT350 View Post
    Hi I have a 2019 with about 400 miles on it. There have been a few times when I thought I had it in 1st, only to have it pop out when I disengaged the clutch. It's not a recurring issue yet, but will continue to monitor. Doesn't help you much- sorry.
    Mine does the same thing. Very annoying (and potentially dangerous) when pulling out from a stop sign into traffic. I'm currently blaming myself for not making certain it is fully in 1st gear when I come to a stop. If it continues "popping out", I'll have the dealership look at it under warranty.
    2019 GT350 - Finally arrived!
    2014 Mustang GT - Great car! Hard to see her go!
    1965 Mustang Fastback - Wish I still had it!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a 2017. Mine has done it a few times over the course of two years. I am usually able to engage after one or two attempts. Maybe I should be worried. Swagger, did you get your situation resolved? Pretty cool that the guy RJay mentioned got his shifter installed by the dealership.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm "the guy" LOL! As of today, no news on delivery of an OEM shifter from Ford. In the meantime, I've been driving my car with the MGW shifter in it and I'm completely satisfied with the action and performance of the MGW. The OEM shifter was ordered 07/16 as an emergency priority! There is no ETA from Ford as to when it will arrive. I'm betting sometime late September. If your shifter takes a dump, it's at least nice to know that your car needn't sit at the dealership for months waiting for Ford to replace the shifter. And, Ford could not care less about it.
    RJay likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So my part was ordered on 7/22. Your dealer didn't give you any push back of this voiding the warranty? If so I dont mind spending the money if I can convince them to install it.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the feedback and advice!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So my part was ordered on 7/22. Your dealer didn't give you any push back of this voiding the warranty? If so I dont mind spending the money if I can convince them to install it.
    Dealership says there is not a problem with warranty being voided because of the MGW installation. I'd think it would be a stretch for any dealer to justify warranty voidance because of a shifter mechanism, but who knows. I have a long history with this dealership, so they were anxious to get me back on the road ASAP. Thus offering to install the MGW for free. Given all the delays I've experienced with the production of the car, another wait would have pushed me over the edge! LOL!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dealership says there is not a problem with warranty being voided because of the MGW installation. I'd think it would be a stretch for any dealer to justify warranty voidance because of a shifter mechanism, but who knows. I have a long history with this dealership, so they were anxious to get me back on the road ASAP, thus offering to install the MGW for free. Given all the delays I've experienced with the production of the car, another wait would have pushed me over the edge! LOL! The SVT tech that I've used for years was impressed with the quality of the MGW unit and felt it was far superior to the OEM shifter.
    Last edited by 03reptile; 08-09-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors