18 GT350 Engine Failure
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

18 GT350 Engine Failure

This is a discussion on 18 GT350 Engine Failure within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; My '18 GT350 6,000 miles, in bumper to bumper traffic, I heard a ticking-not like a lifter-more like a fan blade just nicking a fan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 18 GT350 Engine Failure

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

18 GT350 Engine Failure

My '18 GT350 6,000 miles, in bumper to bumper traffic, I heard a ticking-not like a lifter-more like a fan blade just nicking a fan shroud, tick only on acceleration not deceleration, before I could get out of traffic-got maybe 1/2 mile-engine seized. Got towed to dealer-awaiting official diagnosis and repair time. I've owned 10 new Fords over last 32 years, worst problem before this catastrophic failure was replacing motor mounts in a couple of Taurus'. Will update as I get info from dealer.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nothing new here. Just read other Shelby GT 350 forums. Many have had there motors replaced under warranty due to motor just seizing up and those with more than a quart of oil consumption in 500 miles. Ford knows they have an issue sadly with the Voodoo but will not let any dealerships open them up to see what caused failure. Instead putting new motor in. Hope you have a good dealership that knows what there doing when they do put the new motor in. Good luck and sorry to here this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If their not allowed to open up the engine then it's pretty obvious that they know there's a serious problem and exactly what the failure cause is. One has to assume, or at least hope, that the replacement engine has changes internally. That sucks BTW.
    16 GT350 Tech Pkg.......and loving it Cheif!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's really terrible! After joining four GT350 forums, I made sure my credit union put a 100K warranty on my loan.

Was your GT350 an early 2018 build? Maybe a 2017 engine carried over?
    Last edited by RJay; 06-19-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    2019 GT350 - Here Soon!
    2014 Mustang GT - It's Been Great!
    1965 Mustang Fastback - Wish I Still Had It!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Happens, Ford won’t allow dealer to take apart. That’s a good thing, a clean replacement. Keep a look on oil level every few hundred miles, always a good idea (Owners manual requires it). The car will consume oil, it’s made to do that, just not to much. Sorry for the upset.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE- I'm told by dealer that Ford policy is they MUST complete engine tear down to "point of failure", submit report/photos/oil filter analysis/ "codes" to Ford BEFORE A NEW ENGINE CAN EVEN BE ORDERED! They know it's catastrophic, brass and steel bits in oil filter, as of 6/26 have not even started tear down of my engine, 6/22 earliest to begin disassembly as shop very busy. I am beyond angry! To not allow a new engine to even be ordered, when every indication is that it is required and engine is beyond dealer capabilities to repair, is ludicrous. I am told to expect 4-5 weeks before I am back on the road. Holding the engine replacement order will add a minimum 10 days to 2 weeks to the cycle. So much for $65,000 new car with major warranty issues and Ford.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE #2-7/2/19- I mailed over 30 letters to Ford Executive Leadership as well as Ford Board of Directors. Today I received a call from dealer service writer, instead of the previously required dealer full engine teardown, they will drop the oil pan, use a bore scope to photograph the damage, with the oil filter full of metal bits, Ford has agreed to release a new engine to the dealer. We just saved 7-10 days getting my Shelby back on the road. On 6/28 I also called Ford Customer Service, reviewed my situation with them. They agreed to open a claim which brings local Regional Service Manager into the loop and a 2 work day promise to explore options and expedite my new engine if possible. Yesterday, 7/1 I received a call back from Ford Customer Service. After a lengthy, and sometimes forceful conversation from my end, I was told there was nothing that could be done, the dealer teardown and report was required before a replacement engine could even be ordered. Today's phone call from my dealers service writer advising an engine would be on order today was welcome news. We're hopeful for about a 4 1/2-5 week total, from time of failure 6/17, to be back on the road. Miss my baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not good..That you had to go to such lengths does not bode well. The Company should be bending over backwards to keep it's loyal customers, not making them force Ford to do their job. Adopting the Sears customer service business plan may well send them the very same direction. we are loyal, but not stupid. Listen up Ford!!
    " Never wrestle with a pig...You both get dirty and only the pig likes it!"
    "J1247"

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amen.........

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Update #3 7/10- Received the agreed to weekly call from Ford Customer Service. Agent confirmed an order for a new long block was entered by the dealer on 7/2 and it should "be there shortly". I wasn't smart enough to ask for a pro number or carrier or estimated date, I'm trying to take this a bit more low key now that a long block appears to be in transit. With a bit of luck I'm hoping for the end of next week to get her back. 🙏🤞

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors