18 GT350 Engine Failure - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

18 GT350 Engine Failure

This is a discussion on 18 GT350 Engine Failure within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Update #4 7/10 PM-Dealer called and confirmed receipt of new $20,000 (not including misc. parts or labor) long block from Ford. She hopes to have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 18 GT350 Engine Failure

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Update #4 7/10 PM-Dealer called and confirmed receipt of new $20,000 (not including misc. parts or labor) long block from Ford. She hopes to have my baby on the road by next Friday 7/19. 🙏🤞👍
    NorCalGal likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did an old school break in procedure on my '17 and I have not had any engine or oil consumption issues and I am thankful for that.
    I went to my first track day this past weekend (and turned 13k miles) at Sebring and had a great time. I did not baby the car and she took it all. I bounced off the rev limiter several times, hit 140mph on the back straight, sustained 8000rpm in turn 6 (because shifting into 4th mid-turn upset the balance of the car more than I felt comfortable with) and did other things that are not conducive to long engine life.
    Afterward I drove the 2 hours home and then checked the oil. It was still at the max mark.
    I am mentioning all of this because I have read MANY posts on several forums that detail the engine problems my fellow GT350 owners have been experiencing. I have been unable to glean a common cause aside from the fact that this is all too common.
    I am sorry the OP has had to waste valuable drive time dealing with this. I am glad he still seems excited to be a GT350 owner.
    In closing, I am adding my voice to this thread not to gloat over my fortunate experience with the GT350, but to simply offer a counter example of GT350 ownership to those people reading this thread and thinking that all GT350s have major problems.
    ----------------------------------

Current Car:
    2017 Avalanche Gray GT350

Previous Cars:
    1965 Mustang Conv 1987-2017 Resto-modded in 2012
    1989 Mustang LX5.0 1989-1994
    2014 Mustang GT, traded in on GT350

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE #5-Actually got my black beauty back from the dealer a day earlier, 7/18, than expected. I was corrected on the value of a long block-which comes with the heads installed-Ford shows $27,000. WOW, glad warranty covered me.
    I still have a huge problem with the policy, by Ford, that a new engine cannot even be ordered until dealer establishes "point of failure" of the original engine. It was a week before the very busy dealer even had a chance to touch her. They pulled the oil filter and plugs-lots of metal bits-Ford would not accept order for new engine. The dealer lost another week before a Tech could start the teardown. Ford did capitulate and let a bore scope evaluation suffice. They found damage to the block, crank and main bearings. The dealer feels that there was a catastrophic failure of the oil pump. The old engine ran about 75 # ft of pressure max, when fully warm would be 25-30 at idle, 75 at revs. The new one peaks just over 100 # ft at revs, same 25-30 at idle. So I think there has been an upgrade of the oil pump system. My old engine was shipped back to Ford for full failure analysis. I asked for a copy but I'm not optimistic. A new engine was finally shipped but over 4 weeks after the failure. I wrote over 30 letters to various Ford key personnel and did get a couple of calls, as well as follow up calls after her return to me to make sure I was satisfied. So far everything is great, being forced to break in 2 of these stunning engines is a pain, but we're rolling again-just kind of slowly right now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please see dealer analysis, engine will go through complete failure analysis at Ford, I have asked for a copy but doubt I will get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJaciLips View Post
    UPDATE #5-Actually got my black beauty back from the dealer a day earlier, 7/18, than expected. I was corrected on the value of a long block-which comes with the heads installed-Ford shows $27,000. WOW, glad warranty covered me.
    I still have a huge problem with the policy, by Ford, that a new engine cannot even be ordered until dealer establishes "point of failure" of the original engine. It was a week before the very busy dealer even had a chance to touch her. They pulled the oil filter and plugs-lots of metal bits-Ford would not accept order for new engine. The dealer lost another week before a Tech could start the teardown. Ford did capitulate and let a bore scope evaluation suffice. They found damage to the block, crank and main bearings. The dealer feels that there was a catastrophic failure of the oil pump. The old engine ran about 75 # ft of pressure max, when fully warm would be 25-30 at idle, 75 at revs. The new one peaks just over 100 # ft at revs, same 25-30 at idle. So I think there has been an upgrade of the oil pump system. My old engine was shipped back to Ford for full failure analysis. I asked for a copy but I'm not optimistic. A new engine was finally shipped but over 4 weeks after the failure. I wrote over 30 letters to various Ford key personnel and did get a couple of calls, as well as follow up calls after her return to me to make sure I was satisfied. So far everything is great, being forced to break in 2 of these stunning engines is a pain, but we're rolling again-just kind of slowly right now.
    Thank you for the feedback. Do you recall if your old engine always ran at 75# max? Did it start out like your new one producing 100# and decline?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Best I can remember original engine was around 75# at speed, maybe down to 60-65 just cruising at full temp, but did not change over it's 17 month 5900 mile life. Consistent new to blowed up. The new motor, Mfg October 18, sits at 100 or a bit over any time at revs, 110-115 when cold and first started, lowest it ever gets at revs is maybe 90, normal fluctuation for temp and this wide viscosity 5W50 oil

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJaciLips View Post
    Best I can remember original engine was around 75# at speed, maybe down to 60-65 just cruising at full temp, but did not change over it's 17 month 5900 mile life. Consistent new to blowed up. The new motor, Mfg October 18, sits at 100 or a bit over any time at revs, 110-115 when cold and first started, lowest it ever gets at revs is maybe 90, normal fluctuation for temp and this wide viscosity 5W50 oil
    Gotcha. Was just curious for watching my own. FWIW mines been essentially the same numbers you have listed for you new one for its 12K mile life so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors