Clutch Helper Spring - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Clutch Helper Spring

This is a discussion on Clutch Helper Spring within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Well I decided to buy the steeda spring. After I ordered it I went out to the garage and took out the stock one because ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Clutch Helper Spring

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well I decided to buy the steeda spring. After I ordered it I went out to the garage and took out the stock one because I knew the car was going to sit for a few days and I wanted to get a head start on this mod. Well couple days went by and of course I had to take the car in earlier then I planned for the paint correction and xpel so I drove it without the spring..........
    Well I loved it without the spring, so much better. Now my steeda has come in and I installed that and that too is much better then the stock spring, close feel to no spring but still not as good.
    So now my dilemma is I liked it best of all with no spring. I may just run no spring.

I hear people, mostly vendors (cause they want to sell there merchandise of course ) say that running no spring can harm the slave cylinder. I think it's Bologna after talking to a couple people in the automotive industry. Hype to get you to buy there product. Thoughts fellow members???
    Last edited by HELLFIRE; 09-16-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    * 2016 Charger Hellcat *

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLFIRE View Post
    I'm interested in the steeda clutch spring as well. Everyone seems to love it. I find the stock feel on the gt350 very light and easy to use.
    Is it really worth it, this mod? I don't see how people would want to put more effort in to clutching. And that seems to be the case here. I also think I could just try it as it's dirt cheap and then just go back to the stocker spring if not liked.
    More feedback from guys who have this mod would be much appreciated. Thanks
    I think the problem with the OEM Clutch Spring is that it tries to help you out too much on your return and because of that you easily lose control of the clutch and stall or you'll ride it for too long cause you can't find the in between. Both scenarios have been my problem and the car basically ends up buckling like a pony wanting to go but you won't let it go.

LOL @ (pretty much is how I feel)

The Steed clutch spring has less support so it feels like you have more control and tends to feel more linear because it doesn't help you compared to the oem clutch spring.

I'll tell you one thing, I'd really love to see what a Ford Engineer has to say about our clutch spring because it is different than the GT clutch spring system. Always wonder what the engineers have to say because someone thought about it and why it was "helpful" other than ease of clutching during traffic.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to see some sort of very light duty spring installed (elsewhere) that just keeps the clutch pedal fully up when not depressed. The whole idea of a helper clutch spring that's non-linear is bizarre. I don't find it terribly annoying to drive and I've never stalled it, but I will say this, when I jump out of the GT350 and back into my 2011 BMW 328, that clutch feels very heavy in comparison (even though before driving the mustang, the BMW clutch felt SO perfect). The Bimmer clutch is perfectly linear though, and that's, well, perfect. (It's hydraulic, of course.)

I'm going to try removing the Steeda spring next just to see how it feels.
    Adam

2018 Shelby GT350 Lead Food Gray with OTT Black Stripes
    1964 Pontiac GTO 469, M21, 3.42 (Sold for the above Modern Muscle)
    2009 Jeep Rubicon, lifted, 35's, with full, well used skids
    2011 BMW 328 6M, RWD, Msport (last of the hydraulic steering cars)
    1999 C2 Aero (XAA) with Sports Pkg (014) and 64 other options including so much carbon fiber that it might float away when I'm not sitting in it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    I'd like to see some sort of very light duty spring installed (elsewhere) that just keeps the clutch pedal fully up when not depressed. The whole idea of a helper clutch spring that's non-linear is bizarre. I don't find it terribly annoying to drive and I've never stalled it, but I will say this, when I jump out of the GT350 and back into my 2011 BMW 328, that clutch feels very heavy in comparison (even though before driving the mustang, the BMW clutch felt SO perfect). The Bimmer clutch is perfectly linear though, and that's, well, perfect. (It's hydraulic, of course.)

I'm going to try removing the Steeda spring next just t'o see how it feels.
    Like I said above no spring is the best for sure out of the three. I'm still waiting to here other forum members thoughts on this as I've been told it causes no damage to the car or clutch by doing so.

** after talking to my one buddy who is a gear gear head to the extreme and master mechanic I think I'll be running no spring. His words in a nutshell '' the spring is called an assist spring for a reason, it's there to assist and for ease of the clutch, it has no bearing on whether your slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch assembly fail or not. )
    * 2016 Charger Hellcat *

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLFIRE View Post
    Like I said above no spring is the best for sure out of the three. I'm still waiting to here other forum members thoughts on this as I've been told it causes no damage to the car or clutch by doing so.

** after talking to my one buddy who is a gear gear head to the extreme and master mechanic I think I'll be running no spring. His words in a nutshell '' the spring is called an assist spring for a reason, it's there to assist and for ease of the clutch, it has no bearing on whether your slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch assembly fail or not. )
    I have been running my 2016 GT 350 for 2 1/2 years and 23,000 miles with no assist spring. The only complaint I hear from some people is that there's too much play at the top of the travel. If you don't have this (and I don't have any play at the top) or it doesn't bother you, I agree with you entirely, it's not detrimenral to or creates any issue with the slave cylinder or throw out bearing.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I have been following the threads regarding removing or replacing the clutch assist spring. I have been driving a 2009 ShelbyGT500 on the track for the last 6 years. My first drive in my GT350 was a real pleasure as the clutch was so much easier than the GT500. I paid particular attention driving home this morning and found the clutch comfortable to use. Such an improvement over the GT500. What I do find that I have a problem with is heel toe as the brakes are so sensitive. First time I tried it, thought I would end up on my nose. Have some practice to do.

Mike
    Yep, the brakes are great. ;-) I like the clutch feel too, so much better than my 2015 GT PP. I removed the spring from the 2015 and it improved some but still lacks the feel I get from the GT350 clutch.
    2018 GT350, Orange Fury, black stripes/white accent, Convenience Pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

gt 350 clutch assit spring removal

Hey guys ... new to the forum. Just purchased a GT350 (2018). Love it. Really not crazy about the clutch feel. I purchased the Steeda spring and installed it. Maybe a little better but not much. After reading this forum I removed the spring altogether. Wow ... it feels like a clutch should feel. Has anyone heard of any bad things happening due to total removal of clutch assist spring? Thanks guys.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey guys ... new to the forum. Just purchased a GT350 (2018). Love it. Really not crazy about the clutch feel. I purchased the Steeda spring and installed it. Maybe a little better but not much. After reading this forum I removed the spring altogether. Wow ... it feels like a clutch should feel. Has anyone heard of any bad things happening due to total removal of clutch assist spring? Thanks guys.
    Nah, go springless the way g-d intended a clutch to be! I've heard experts on the subject say the springs internal to the clutch are sufficient. There will be no issues.
    Adam

2018 Shelby GT350 Lead Food Gray with OTT Black Stripes
    1964 Pontiac GTO 469, M21, 3.42 (Sold for the above Modern Muscle)
    2009 Jeep Rubicon, lifted, 35's, with full, well used skids
    2011 BMW 328 6M, RWD, Msport (last of the hydraulic steering cars)
    1999 C2 Aero (XAA) with Sports Pkg (014) and 64 other options including so much carbon fiber that it might float away when I'm not sitting in it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I put the Steeda spring in my 2016. Made a world of difference.

My new 2019 350R clutch is fine as is from the factory. I assume Ford fixed it.
    KR558

(2016 GT350 traded in)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors