Clutch Helper Spring - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Clutch Helper Spring

This is a discussion on Clutch Helper Spring within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Originally Posted by Michael P rfrum, Your experience on the track should be helpful to you. Make sure you schedule way in advance as the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Clutch Helper Spring

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    rfrum,

Your experience on the track should be helpful to you. Make sure you schedule way in advance as the Boss 302's go fast. The one thing you probably have learned or at least heard many times on the track, is keep your eyes up. Even whey you can't see the apex or exit, you will know where it is and look there. It will make your cornering a lot smoother. Unless you are proficient at heel toe, grab third gear and us your mental band width for conquering the track. Add the heel toe and second gear when you can best add it. Whenever I am learning a new track, I am in one gear only for half a day or so. Also, use all of the track, you paid for it use it. Good luck and you will have a blast--just not enough track time--but then again is there ever?

Mike
    Great advice on 3rd gear for learning track (and car)! Am having the common heel/toe pedal placement problem and being distracted with the downshifts would certainly ruin the process. Learning the corners is the biggest part of the fun, especially with all the revs available in this great motor. Leaving in one gear and letting it rev will be an experience.

Smooth is definitely faster, learning smooth is the secret! Downshifting is not smooth for me with this pedal setup. Will be working on that all winter, but a possible pedal mod in my car won't help me with the track cars.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

Hope to get the earliest track day with Boss option. weather patterns can be a little wet in the early sessions, luck of the draw.
    Last edited by rfrum; 11-25-2016 at 05:54 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys just got the steeda clutch spring, in installing it back did you guys remove the small spring underneath the white plastic? Anybody can post a picture of the installation im having a hard time putting it back. Thank you.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    take out the small spring and spacer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bondurant teaches heel toe and their Viper was pretty easy for me to get comfortable with, but the Viper makes most things pretty easy

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the Ford Racing School also teaches heel toe at the GT350 Track Attack as well as threshold braking. I have found that I am better at heel toe when I don't think about it! Once I start thinking about it, I have turned the wipers on, didn't complete the shift in a timely fashion or bounced my eyeballs off the windshield by braking to hard. When it is all put together, it feels good. Also harder to do on the street as you will have a tendency to over brake. Can't we be at the track everyday?
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bringing back an old thread about the clutch spring. I don't mind the non-linear release all that much, but it is a little odd. I'd like to try a $15 Steeda spring but want more feedback.

But I did notice something more troubling and someone here mentioned it: when I shift very fast at high RPM's, my foot comes off the clutch pedal, meaning, the pedal seems to be slower than my foot speed! The first time it happened, I thought the clutch pedal or clutch just broke! I'm now thinking this is the dual rate spring somehow. It's an odd feeling that I don't like, in fact, I dislike it much more than the non-linear clutch travel.
    Adam

2018 Shelby GT350 Lead Food Gray with OTT Black Stripes
    1964 Pontiac GTO 469, M21, 3.42 (Sold for the above Modern Muscle)
    2009 Jeep Rubicon, lifted, 35's, with full, well used skids
    2011 BMW 328 6M, RWD, Msport (last of the hydraulic steering cars)
    1999 C2 Aero (XAA) with Sports Pkg (014) and 64 other options including so much carbon fiber that it might float away when I'm not sitting in it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I noticed that you can buy the Spring only (under $20) or the complete assembly for $85. From Steeda. So this makes me understand that a conversion with Spring only is not reversible, if you don’t like it afterwards, no going back without buying the assembly. So it’s a $20 leap. To be honest, I don’t think the clutch pedal feel will lower my road course track times, currently the clutch hooks up great, double diaphragm does the job well.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    I noticed that you can buy the Spring only (under $20) or the complete assembly for $85. From Steeda. So this makes me understand that a conversion with Spring only is not reversible, if you don’t like it afterwards, no going back without buying the assembly. So it’s a $20 leap. ..
    Why? are you required to break off a tab or something? I guess i have to see it to understand and I'm not with the car at the moment.
    Adam

2018 Shelby GT350 Lead Food Gray with OTT Black Stripes
    1964 Pontiac GTO 469, M21, 3.42 (Sold for the above Modern Muscle)
    2009 Jeep Rubicon, lifted, 35's, with full, well used skids
    2011 BMW 328 6M, RWD, Msport (last of the hydraulic steering cars)
    1999 C2 Aero (XAA) with Sports Pkg (014) and 64 other options including so much carbon fiber that it might float away when I'm not sitting in it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm interested in the steeda clutch spring as well. Everyone seems to love it. I find the stock feel on the gt350 very light and easy to use.
    Is it really worth it, this mod? I don't see how people would want to put more effort in to clutching. And that seems to be the case here. I also think I could just try it as it's dirt cheap and then just go back to the stocker spring if not liked.
    More feedback from guys who have this mod would be much appreciated. Thanks
    * 2016 Charger Hellcat *

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I ran my GT350 without any helper spring for 2 years, one of the first mods I did, 22,000 miles later and I loved the change from the original stock spring.
    For those interested, I recently did an experiment by going to the hardware store and bought a compression spring with the same dimensions, OD and length, but with 1/3 the pressure for $3. The feel wasn't much different from no spring, still had the linear feel and faster return from the floor.
    Last edited by GT_Dave; 09-03-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors