Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; All, When the engine is cold, my car has a pronounced valvetrain 'rattle' around 2,000 rpm. It's not consistent, and comes and goes multiple times ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All,

When the engine is cold, my car has a pronounced valvetrain 'rattle' around 2,000 rpm. It's not consistent, and comes and goes multiple times if you hold the revs between 2,000 and 2,500. It reminds me of how the hydraulic lifters in my older cars sounded when they were starved for oil. By 2,500 rpm it seems to be gone, but the noise is very pronounced at 2,000 rpm, and brings back bad memories about good engines starving for oil. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it possibly caused by some change in cam timing or other normal function of the valvetrain? (I checked the oil and it was fine by the way, so low oil isn't the culprit.) The insight of the group is welcome. Thanks,

Hawkeye

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    All,

When the engine is cold, my car has a pronounced valvetrain 'rattle' around 2,000 rpm. It's not consistent, and comes and goes multiple times if you hold the revs between 2,000 and 2,500. It reminds me of how the hydraulic lifters in my older cars sounded when they were starved for oil. By 2,500 rpm it seems to be gone, but the noise is very pronounced at 2,000 rpm, and brings back bad memories about good engines starving for oil. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it possibly caused by some change in cam timing or other normal function of the valvetrain? (I checked the oil and it was fine by the way, so low oil isn't the culprit.) The insight of the group is welcome. Thanks,

Hawkeye
    Hello Hawkeye,
    I haven't experienced this rattling noise... Are you able to open up your hood to try and pinpoint it better while someone revs it to 2000-2500? First make sure your oil pressure is adequate - I would say at least 50 psi or so when cold. Have you checked your oil level again? (I'd do it every time I started it until the rattle is diagnosed...) I'd be wary of going beyond idle while the rattle is there and/or your oil pressure is low until you get a better sense of what it is. Sometimes brackets, harnesses come loose and rattle....I have not heard of cam adjustments or timing changes needed for the Voodoo....Kind of basic stuff and not meaning to insult, just trying to think of what I would do if I did hear the rattle in my car....Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Tankman; 05-03-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tankman,

Thanks for the response. Good idea to have someone else rev the motor while I try to localize the noise under the hood. I'll do that tomorrow. As far as oil pressure and oil level, both are fine. (Pressure >50 psi and level 'full'.) If I can't find the noise, I'll take it to the local dealer for a look. Thanks again.
    Tankman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tankman,

Thanks for the response. Good idea to have someone else rev the motor while I try to localize the noise under the hood. I'll do that tomorrow. As far as oil pressure and oil level, both are fine. (Pressure >50 psi and level 'full'.) If I can't find the noise, I'll take it to the local dealer for a look. Thanks again.
    You bet Hawkeye! Sounds like a plan! Good Luck!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Drove the car tonight and understand it better, but still don't have 'the answer'. Along with the engine being cold, the noise arises when the throttle is barely open, just enough to hold the car steady or accelerate very slowly. Press the throttle any deeper and the noise goes away. Let off the throttle completely, and it goes away. You only hear it at 'barely open', and it's much less prominent when the engine is warm. I notice it most when I first start up and drive out of my neighborhood. The speed limit is 25, so I'm easing along in 2nd or 3rd with just enough throttle to hold speed. In those conditions the rattle is very prominent, and sounds like a bad lifter. However, once I'm out of the 'hood' and push the pedal down, the rattle is gone, and the roar begins. If nobody else on the forum is seeing this, I'll take it to the local dealer later this week and ask then to take a look. Thanks.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry Hawkeye, I am not experiencing any of those noises
    Mike

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll take it to the local dealer later this week and ask then to take a look. Thanks.
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll post if I ever have a similar sound...Seems like a prudent plan to have the dealer check it out. Please let us know the outcome and good luck!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hawkeye, I know you are around the Atl, but what area, I ask because I live on the west side and although I am still upset about you bringing my double back to the area (kidding), I am willing to help you out with your car or anything like that if you wanted to stop by, I would at least get some insight on the sound before going to the dealer, nothing against dealers, I know some good people at some, but I would not just trust in any tech at a dealer to diagnose or fix my car. Anyway, I am here to help if you would like, I know several dealers, and also some of the best Ford people around here, and have been around a shop or two before, just thought I would try and help, let me know, I hope you have a great day and everything works out with the noise.
    Michael P likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have you changed the oil yet? What weight oil is in it?

Two possible issues that show up on modular motors, but haven't heard of any other 5.2 doing it yet.

A cam phaser, will making a strong ticking noise. Like an old school lifter.
    A timing chain will give you a rattling noise typically at cold start up only. This is usually due to a timing chain tensioner.

Either way, it should be under warranty
    Tankman likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneytxps View Post
    Have you changed the oil yet? What weight oil is in it?

Two possible issues that show up on modular motors, but haven't heard of any other 5.2 doing it yet.

A cam phaser, will making a strong ticking noise. Like an old school lifter.
    A timing chain will give you a rattling noise typically at cold start up only. This is usually due to a timing chain tensioner.

Either way, it should be under warranty
    The car has less than 2,000 miles on it, so the oil is still the original fill. Not sure what the stock oil viscosity is. Also, I took the car to the local dealer Thursday, and they heard the sound, but couldn't localize it. It only happens when the car is in motion, at low rpm (2,000 - 2,500). With the car at rest (clutch in or clutch out, in gear or not), it will not make the sound, so they can't just open the hood and listen for it. Several techs heard it from inside the cabin while the car was moving, but none of them were sure of the source. Rather than guess, they decided to call in one of Ford's Field Tech Engineers. He will be here next Friday. Hopefully he will have some idea about its cause. The dealership service manager says they are comfortable doing the repairs, if the root cause is not related to the engine itself. If it is coming from the engine, they'll rely on expertise from Ford.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors