Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM

This is a discussion on Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM within the Mustang GT350 Problems and Issues forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; If it is piston slap its not going to go away. But its also never going to cause any harm to cause engine problems either. ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Valvetrain Noise at 2,000 RPM

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If it is piston slap its not going to go away. But its also never going to cause any harm to cause engine problems either. Eventually you will get used to it enough you forget you hear it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    So if this is a engine rattle noise, why would the sound not be repeatable while not driving (under the hood listening to the revs)? I read many that said it only occurs while actually driving. Would think an engine noise would be repeatable. Maybe not.

And does anyone ever have a perfectly good, dead silent engine with this starting a few thousand miles down the road, right out of the blue?
    Any further thoughts on this? I can confirm it is more pronounced when driving as opposed to with stationary throttle play.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wanted to post an update here:

The issue hasn’t gotten worse, still there and behaves the same as before. When the engine is cold it’s much more apparent.

I took it to Ford recently, and drove with the service manager who I’ve known for many years now. Of course at first the sound wouldn’t come up 😤 bcz you’re trying to show Ford!! When I got stationary and started blipping it in place, it reproduced it (as my first video).

His answer was to send him the notice that Ford issued on the problem, to look more into it. Then later on, he said he couldn’t find anything, and that “I’m sure Ford engineers are on it.”

We’re gonna have to live with it as we all know lol

I tried capturing another one:

https://youtu.be/JJwxlh47pYI?list=PL...85CoG9QpImld1J

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It amazes me how a thread topic like this simply dies off .... Any of you fella's got any updates on how your cars are holding up , or not ? Did you trade in or sell ? I have a 2016
    I recently purchased and I have the piston rattle , I don't know if I can live with it , or may trade it in , still under warranty but thinking of adding ford premium care if I keep this thing ...
    Not happy about the engine noise . :-(

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

seems fine @32,000 miles

I just picked up a used 2016 Shelby GT350 in Competition Orange with White Stripes - has 32,400 miles on it now and IS A DREAM! (Tech Pack, no track pack) Has the same noises that everyone has described, some days it seems more noticeable than others, but that is probably because windows aren't always down, etc. Very little oil consumption, never tracked (I am second owner and previous owner wasn't a racer - just wanted a fun daily). I think I'll get 100,000 out of it - if 32,000 came easy with zero issues...but it is a garage queen now and will only see the beautiful summer days and 1,000-2,000 a year I am guessing. You read SO MANY horror stories on these engines not making the 10,000 mile mark, so hopefully past the point of failure.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lots of people have this issue according to Ford and the guy's replies at the Performance Driving School from Ford - the pistons are set up loose in these 5.2's and they are in full shape at operating temp. This is why they always warm the cars up before a day of abuse. After hearing this - I always get mine to operating temp before leaning into it at all - its made the difference to my ears for the fear of breakage - my Ford Dealer's Master Tech called Ford and got the same answer - they were looking to get a big-ticket repair out of the gate but it's normal - a buddy just got a 2019 and its the same sound - I had to point it out because he starts the car with the radio blaring
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350R with 875 Whipple tuned to 903hp

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lots of people have this issue according to Ford and the guy's replies at the Performance Driving School from Ford - the pistons are set up loose in these 5.2's and they are in full shape at operating temp. This is why they always warm the cars up before a day of abuse. After hearing this - I always get mine to operating temp before leaning into it at all - its made the difference to my ears for the fear of breakage - my Ford Dealer's Master Tech called Ford and got the same answer - they were looking to get a big-ticket repair out of the gate but it's normal - a buddy just got a 2019 and its the same sound - I had to point it out because he starts the car with the radio blaring Name:  gar1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  88.4 KB
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350R with 875 Whipple tuned to 903hp

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Hawkeye! I just came across thread via a search for EXACTLY the same issue. I just purchased my GT350, now has a little over 13k on it. The rattle is quite annoying! There was also a video I found where the issue was with the exhaust. I haven't been able to locate it again but I will keep trying. I will be checking in occasionally! Thank you!! Poneez (a 3 stang owner

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors