New Member - 17 GT350 to 20 GT350R
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on New Member - 17 GT350 to 20 GT350R within the Introductions forums, part of the Site News category; It's nice to meet everyone. I'm out here in Houston (Htine) and just upgraded my 2017 GT350 for a 2020 GT350R. I'd been looking at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lifeownedme

Thread: New Member - 17 GT350 to 20 GT350R

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's nice to meet everyone.

I'm out here in Houston (Htine) and just upgraded my 2017 GT350 for a 2020 GT350R. I'd been looking at sitting on the showroom floor for 2 months. I was supposed to wash my car on Friday, but something just came over me and I decided to visit the showroom again. The results are below.

Name:  HiHiHi350R.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  2.51 MBName:  HiHi350R.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.71 MBName:  ByeByeBye350.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1.98 MBName:  ByeBye350.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  820.0 KB

The car has 50 miles on it. I ended up here while researching how to break it in properly - I'm keeping revs down and what not. The only "mod" in the near term is a clear bra or a ceramic coat. Any input on ceramic coat will be nice.
    DTorres31 and Bullitt40 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love that color, my gosh. Beautiful ride.
    16 GT350 Tech Pkg.......and loving it Cheif!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great color for sure! What are your initial first impressions as to differences?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
    Great color for sure! What are your initial first impressions as to differences?
    Thank you. The color is attractive. Lol. So attractive, in fact, that it attracted a giant chunk of metal that fell out the back of a pickup truck on the freeway. The damage isn't too bad, considering. I was able to mend the penny sized hole in the front splitter with epoxy, and have some touch up paint on order. It's still a work in progress. I wanted to do it a step at a time to see what results I'd get.

Name:  Yikes.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1.87 MB

Overall impressions from the upgrade:

The Sound:

1) the sound system is waaaaaaay better. I had the kicker system on the 2017 and the B&O runs laps around it.
    2) The exhaust in normal mode is really no different than the non-R. Negligibly louder. Totally no drone what so ever. The sport mode, however, ... we all know. I haven't put but 300 miles on it, so I'm limiting my revs to 4k, but it's a gloriously loud 4k.

The Drive:

1) the car is firmer, tighter, and lighter. It's more crisp, but you can feel the big chonky tires in front doing their job. The car feels more planted and stable, especially on higher speeds. I don't know to attribute this (more) to the wheels and suspension, or to the aero from the wing. I suspect it's a combination of them all, but the non-R felt more twitchy at higher speeds.

I'll have to drive more and report back.

2) The tramlining issue seems to be resolved. I haven't had the steering wheel take over control yet. The non-R became possessed at times - like a tesla autopilot out to get me! Ah, it kept me on my toes.

3) The clutch is WAAAAAY firmer. It took me a day or so to get used to. I don't know if the R and non-R share the same clutch, do they? It's that much of a difference.

4) This is problably just because it's new, but the engine mounts for the new car are a lot firmer. The motor doesn't move at all.

5) The front splitter is just long enough now to scrape EVERYTHING. The non-R was a lot more forgiving. IT's not gotten me into any trouble yet, but it will. Oh, it will!

Ah Ford being Ford!:

1) I did find some places on the wing that the carbon fiber is just exposed and not painted well. This is just some shabby painting from the factory. I don't know wether to take it to the dealer, or take to bring it to Ford's attention.

Conclusion:

Overall, it's a wonderfully easy car to daily drive. You will scrape enough to make you feel young, but not so much that you'll feel that you have any buyer's remorse. The clutch is stronger, and the suspension is stiffer, but they I prefer it this way. It's very liveable. The biggest stressor is really just knowing that you have $10K wheels.

One last thing is that I decided to get the Paint Protection Film (PPF) on the whole front of the car - fenders and all. I'm just waiting to fix the damage done to the front paint. There's a 2 week wait to get the paint from any dealership in Houston.

I was going back and forth between the ceramic and PPF, but my determination (after reading) is that ceramic is really an beefed up wax. It will need to be reapplied. It is stronger and will help protect against some elements, but the PPF will do a better job adding a layer of protection.

I'd welcome any input on this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that nice informative assessment. I have the PPF on the nose of my car and it appears to be very effective. I'm not as familiar with the ceramic, but I believe it's more of permanent or semi-permanent wax that maintains the paint finish, but doesn't protect from rock chips.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congratulations, ya never know when, if ever, they will produce the GT350 again. Looks like Mach 1 is the substitute.
    Washed-up Viper pilot.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A Splitter Protector is the best preventative I have found after 3 $1200 attempts

I went PPF and then had it stripped off and did 9 Layers of 4H Ceramic Pro - the correction on the CP was amazing - actually looks like a professional paint job next to the OEM finish - the orange peel is gone and the mirror-like finish is impressive.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  101.6 KB
    Last edited by YBLEHSGT350; 06-10-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350R with 875 Whipple tuned to 903hp

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard, pilgrim.

I went from 2016 GT350 to 2019 GT350R.

BIG DIFFERENCES:

- R is louder. Resonator delete, I presume.

- CF wheels are way easier to clean.

- Pain in the heiny getting in and out of R due to high bolstered seat.

- R feels noticeably lighter. Not light, but lighter.

- Regular GT350 is superior daily driver.

- R gets surprisingly more notice than reg GT350.
    KR558

(2016 GT350 traded in)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YBLEHSGT350 View Post
    A Splitter Protector is the best preventative I have found after 3 $1200 attempts

I went PPF and then had it stripped off and did 9 Layers of 4H Ceramic Pro - the correction on the CP was amazing - actually looks like a professional paint job next to the OEM finish - the orange peel is gone and the mirror-like finish is impressive.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  101.6 KB

Which splitter protector are you using? I read up on those beveled self tapping screws on one of the threads. Do you have any experience with those? The screws seem like they'll help with the scrape, but it's the upward pressure that I'm afraid will damage the splitter.

I also went ahead and ordered the black rim protectors from Amazon. I don't know if you, or if anyone else, has experience with these. They're black, so I hope it won't be too noticeable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found it on eBay for under $300 - I tried the nubs with the longer screws and they hit and scraped on more than the original did

let me know what you think of the protectors -
    Fast Fun & Ford - 2018 Shelby GT350R with 875 Whipple tuned to 903hp

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors