Clear Bra or Ceramic Coating?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on Clear Bra or Ceramic Coating? within the Mustang GT350 Detailing forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; I am debating between Clear Bra or Ceramic coating Clear Bra for full car is around $7k (includes paint correction, rims, exhaust tail pipe) Ceramic ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Clear Bra or Ceramic Coating?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am debating between Clear Bra or Ceramic coating

Clear Bra for full car is around $7k (includes paint correction, rims, exhaust tail pipe)

Ceramic coating = $3k (includes paint correction, all interior, rims, exhaust tail pipes and will coat the exhaust pipes as well and they claim it is good to 1400 F so it wont matter if it is sprayed on the pipes and under carriage plastics) - 2 coats + Hydrophonic coating and they claim it is harder than 9H and no more than 2 is necessary

Does this sound like a good price?

The advantage of the clear bra is that it also protects paint against any physical chipping or scratching. Ceramic coating will not protect against rock chips and scratching if you have a physical scrape.

2019 GT 350 and want to preserve the look and make it easy to clean with a hose...

Any advice?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post
    The advantage of the clear bra is that it also protects paint against any physical chipping or scratching. Ceramic coating will not protect against rock chips and scratching if you have a physical scrape.
    I don't know about the other 49 states, but we have rocks here in Arizona that will chip paint through PPF, and our installers will tell you that.

That sounds high for the PPF. My buddy had his new 2019 done: Everything from the A-pillars forward and the rear fender swells for $2000.

Don't know much about ceramic, but I would love to see some pics if you go with that $3K package...
    2019 GT350 - Finally arrived!
    2014 Mustang GT - Great car! Hard to see her go!
    1965 Mustang Fastback - Wish I still had it!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had mine ceramic coated. The cost was $750.00. Full paint correction, removed the wheels and did the calipers and inside of the rims. I would do some price comparison before you buy!
    " Never wrestle with a pig...You both get dirty and only the pig likes it!"
    "J1247"

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I started out with the clear bra. I then decided to do the ceramic coating, so they applied it over my 3m clear bra. Luckily I had the bra because I had a small sharp rock hit my hood and peeled some of it up. No damage to paint. But I do have a nick on my roof, over my stripe. BTW, my bra is only front, hood, pillars, and three quarters of fenders. Regret not doing top.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just signed up to professional paint correction & ceramic coating for $2k. which includes the same scope as you mention less the wrap. Shop does all the exotics in our area. Was doing a 918 when I was there. I think your quote is high but cant say for certain.
    16 GT350 Tech Pkg.......and loving it Cheif!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did the clear bra. I was more worried about small chips from having that low nose and crappy roads. I have had it on for 3 years and looks good as new.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post
    I am debating between Clear Bra or Ceramic coating

Clear Bra for full car is around $7k (includes paint correction, rims, exhaust tail pipe)

Ceramic coating = $3k (includes paint correction, all interior, rims, exhaust tail pipes and will coat the exhaust pipes as well and they claim it is good to 1400 F so it wont matter if it is sprayed on the pipes and under carriage plastics) - 2 coats + Hydrophonic coating and they claim it is harder than 9H and no more than 2 is necessary

Does this sound like a good price?

2019 GT 350 and want to preserve the look and make it easy to clean with a hose...

Any advice?
    I had clear bra and ceramic coat on top. As far as price, what brands are they offering to apply? Brand makes a huge difference. You will be sorry if you have them clear bra or ceramic coat your "faux" tail pipes. They will discolor under it and you won't be able to polish them. When I wash and detail I used a good chrome polish and they look great. Plus no matter what they say about how much heat a coating or bra can withstand, depending on the brand, there can be severe yellowing and it happens pretty quickly.

I bought a 2017 in 4/17, fought with Ford for over 2 years, they sent a 2019 replacement that arrived 5/19. I never even brought it home. Now I am waiting for my 2020 replacement build. I have researched tints, coatings, clear bras, washing, drying and detailing products for 2-1/2 years. If you let me know what brands they are selling, I can tell you about the product and you can determine if you think it's a good deal. There are a ton of variables on how these products perform.

I am Shadow Black and I wash with a specific hose attached to a water filtering system. I dry with a professional warm air, filtered dryer. If your water has minerals you can still get spots on ceramic coating. Trust me, I lived it.

Hope to hear back from you. I'm very curious and don't want you to be stuck with inferior product.
    Christine
    2020 Shadow Black, Carbon Fiber Dash, Technology Pkg., Handling Pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm doing both ....
    1. Clay & polish $190
    2. XPEL PPF (Full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirrors, lights, door cups) $2000
    3. Ceramic Pro Gold pack (4 layers of 9h paint coating Glass Shield, 1 layer of light on paint, 1 layer of plastic on plastic, 1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows, 1 layer of wheel & caliper on faces) $1300

I checked out the shop and it is very clean and the team of installers appear top notch ... they were working on a Mercedes, Corvette & 2 Porsche's waiting in the wings. Can I get it done cheaper? Sure, but I don't want to penny pinch on my $70K Shelby. The most important factors are the prep & the installer. Do your homework & understand your expectations. I was told it will take 4 days. I'll post some pictures later ... good luck!
    RJay and The_Backmarker like this.
    Peace out,
    Eric The MadMan
    North County, San Diego
    2018 XXX Yellow; stripe delete; black roof; convenience package

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The MadMan View Post
    I'm doing both ....
    1. Clay & polish $190
    2. XPEL PPF (Full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirrors, lights, door cups) $2000
    3. Ceramic Pro Gold pack (4 layers of 9h paint coating Glass Shield, 1 layer of light on paint, 1 layer of plastic on plastic, 1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows, 1 layer of wheel & caliper on faces) $1300

I checked out the shop and it is very clean and the team of installers appear top notch ... they were working on a Mercedes, Corvette & 2 Porsche's waiting in the wings. Can I get it done cheaper? Sure, but I don't want to penny pinch on my $70K Shelby. The most important factors are the prep & the installer. Do your homework & understand your expectations. I was told it will take 4 days. I'll post some pictures later ... good luck!
    Definitely want to see the pics!
    Eric The MadMan likes this.
    2019 GT350 - Finally arrived!
    2014 Mustang GT - Great car! Hard to see her go!
    1965 Mustang Fastback - Wish I still had it!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are some pic of the process.

Part 1 of many to come.

They did all interior, wheels off, caliper, exhaust tip, under hood. Pretty much everything you can do was done.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors