Magna ride around town?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Magna ride around town?

This is a discussion on Magna ride around town? within the Mustang GT350 Suspension forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; Hello all, I’m just curious to know if general around town use of sport mode and above where Magna ride is engaged would cause premature ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Magna ride around town?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Magna ride around town?

Hello all, I’m just curious to know if general around town use of sport mode and above where Magna ride is engaged would cause premature wear and tear and loss of longevity to these shocks? We all love sport mode for good reasons but are we reducing shock life? Should we save it for the track (in which I intend for casual track use - not competitively). Sure, of course we should get used to using what we have and how the vehicle handles, this I know, so no real need to address this.

Thanks! Dr Voodoo

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. IDO VUDU View Post
    Hello all, I’m just curious to know if general around town use of sport mode and above where Magna ride is engaged would cause premature wear and tear and loss of longevity to these shocks? We all love sport mode for good reasons but are we reducing shock life? Should we save it for the track (in which I intend for casual track use - not competitively). Sure, of course we should get used to using what we have and how the vehicle handles, this I know, so no real need to address this.

Thanks! Dr Voodoo
    Well Doc, I don’t think there would be any added damage to the shocks in Sport (maybe your kidneys though). Magna Ride only changes the fluid viscosity using electrical current (pretty cool chemistry). The week link in a shock,is the shaft seals which will fail under different reasons, usually machining irregularities during production. An increase in fluid viscosity (which is what’s done in a split second as you drive) only applies increased pressure on the sealing surface which tends to limit any premature leaking. I say, enjoy Sport mode (if it doesnt piss off the neighbors). I haven’t read any posts which point to shock or Magna Ride failures.
    Remember, Magna Ride is sold to other manufactures too, like the Tremec Trans. Good strong stuff.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting someone else had this in mind as well. I also thought about this issue too. But, as JimT said, you're probably okay running sport mode around. You would have to determine if the system adjusts more times per second in sport vs normal. Then you might have a case for using normal over sport during regular driving in that situation, but even then, I would guess it's not that much in terms of wear. I'm slightly paranoid, so I run normal on the street and sport on the track. I also do that because my guess is that ford engineers designed the car with those driving situations in mind. So I would say...do whatever you want. I don't think it really matters. Shiny side up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I run sport mode nearly 100%. It would be 100% but sometime I briefly forget to set it ....

My plan is to buy the extended warranty when the factory warranty expires and enjoy my GT350.
    zstansel likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first thing I do when I start mine up is change the mode to sport.
    BobSoFine and RJay like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I change mine to sport after start up also.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I change the exhaust to sport, but keep the magna ride on. I changed it to sport mode a few days ago and my kidneys hated me for it. I live in Midland, TX and we have the worst city streets of any place I have ever lived. Rough streets like magna ride.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I drive in Sport Mode nearly all the time except when I’m approaching specific overpasses with every uneven surfaces. I switch to Normal Mode and then return to Sport Mode to save the fillings in my back teeth!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    Well Doc, I don’t think there would be any added damage to the shocks in Sport (maybe your kidneys though). Magna Ride only changes the fluid viscosity using electrical current (pretty cool chemistry). The week link in a shock,is the shaft seals which will fail under different reasons, usually machining irregularities during production. An increase in fluid viscosity (which is what’s done in a split second as you drive) only applies increased pressure on the sealing surface which tends to limit any premature leaking. I say, enjoy Sport mode (if it doesnt piss off the neighbors). I haven’t read any posts which point to shock or Magna Ride failures.
    Remember, Magna Ride is sold to other manufactures too, like the Tremec Trans. Good strong stuff.
    Nice explanation JimT. I didn't know there was any other driving mode. ;-)
    JimT likes this.
    2018 GT350, Orange Fury, black stripes/white accent, Convenience Pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DewmsEleanor View Post
    Interesting someone else had this in mind as well. I also thought about this issue too. But, as JimT said, you're probably okay running sport mode around. You would have to determine if the system adjusts more times per second in sport vs normal. Then you might have a case for using normal over sport during regular driving in that situation, but even then, I would guess it's not that much in terms of wear. I'm slightly paranoid, so I run normal on the street and sport on the track. I also do that because my guess is that ford engineers designed the car with those driving situations in mind. So I would say...do whatever you want. I don't think it really matters. Shiny side up!
    No difference in adjustment times, just the amount of current applied to the shock fluid. Look into the DSC Sport controller for improved ride on the street as well as better performance on the track.Superb system that is programmable and user friendly.

2016 Magnetic w/ blue stripe Tech pkg, DSC controller, MGW shifter, OEM trans and Diff cooler kits, FPP shocks.
    Love this car!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors