"Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

This is a discussion on "Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions within the Mustang GT350 Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; Hi everyone, It just dawned on me that when I joined (and I have forgotten exactly when that was) the site was acting goofy, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,
    It just dawned on me that when I joined (and I have forgotten exactly when that was) the site was acting goofy, and for some reason I was never able to post an intro. So, I'm Bobby, 48, widower, former cop, retired Air Force, currently a Christian apologist teaching Sunday School at church, one 19-year-old son, here in the Montgomery area of Alabama but from Columbia and Charleston, South Carolina. I've got a 2016 GT350, magnetic gray, technology package. It came with black/white stripes from the factory. I wanted to add a little color, so I put my own custom blue stripes with red accent stripe on the car. I just recently put the red Brembo brake calipers from the GT350R on to finish the touch of color I wanted to add. Other than that, I have tinted the windows and put on a tow hook. I am considering an MGW shifter. I may copy/paste this to make an actual intro post, so if you see it, you know you can skip it since I did all that here.

I put "Winter" in quotes in the title because I live in Alabama. We obviously don't get real winters here, but the summer tires on the GT350 do suffer performance issues even in our mild winters. When temps are below 60 I notice some loss, but below 50 is when it seems to become rather significant. Add some rain to the cold temps and it can make for an interesting time.

I had a 2013 Mustang GT before this with BF Goodrich g-Force COMP 2 A/S tires and LOVED them. At the time, they were the #1 rated ultra high performance all-season tire on Tirerack, and they were the cheapest too! They had incredible dry and wet traction and great handling. Right now they are rated #2, just ever-so-slightly edged out by a Michelin tire.

I recently found RTF wheels (and please tell me other wheels y'all have found) for the GT350 and began thinking about putting together a cold-weather package for the car. I want to go as wide as possible (I love the meaty tires on these cars!), and I found the BFG in a 305, but it's a 20" tire. It's the ONLY ultra high performance all-season tire of that width. I chatted with Tirerack and was told there'd be no fitment issues if I went with 20" wheels/tires. However, there are multiple options of ultra high performance all-season tires that max out at a 285 width (and that's only .8" difference) and in the factory 19" size.

I was thinking of going with a square set-up with 20" 305s on all four corners. I like the idea of having wheel/tire packages that I can just swap out rather than having to remove/replace tires on the rim. If I stay with 20" wheels but want a staggered set-up, it'd have to be 285s in front, 305s in the rear. BFG doesn't have a 295 for some reason.

One consideration I have is if BFGs in 20" 305s don't sell enough, they may stop producing them, and then I will have gone and bought 20" wheels for no good reason.

So, your thoughts.... do I put together a 20" package of 305s all the way around? A 20" package staggered? Or simply find a good ultra high performance all-season tire in a 285 width to go on 19" wheels?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be inclined to stick with 19" rims, and I'd definitely give Continental DW and DWS a good look if you can get them in the correct sizes. And rather than plus sizing (which is what you're tempted to do at the front) I'd consider a minus size if it means getting a great tire such as the DWS.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PS - a Continental DWS 275/40R19 fitted to the front is almost exactly the correct rolling diameter, PLUS if fitted to a spare FRONT rim and stored in the trunk it can be used as a "real" spare wheel for the front or rear. I know it sounds confusing, and I've explained poorly, but the front and rear rims have different offets -- so in essence, what I'm alluding to is that a front rim fitted with a 275 will work well as a rear spare too since it will have all of the necessary suspension clearances etc.

This is exactly what I've done with my own car -- I bought a spare front rim on eBay, fitted it with a DWS 275/40R19, and this is my spare wheel for front and rear fitment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, Spitfire, I appreciate the response.

What spare front rim did you buy on eBay?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought an OEM front wheel on eBay. There seem to be a few complete sets available, but here's a front only, which is what you want if you're interested in having a spare:

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 2016 10053 aluminum OEM wheel rim Front 19 x 10.5 | eBay

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, you really meant a front rim as a spare...lol. Just making sure. It's what I suspected, but figured I'd check in case you'd found something else that worked and that you liked.

Thanks.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I really bought an OEM front to use as a spare that I keep in the trunk. As long as you mount a 275/40R19 on the rim you'll be able to use it as a front/rear spare. If you mount a wider tire it will not clear the rear suspension.
    Last edited by Spitfire; 08-10-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Are you any closer to knowing which wheels and tires you might fit for winter use in Alabama?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, I just bought an entire set of OEM GT350 wheels on eBay and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 285/35-19 (the widest I could get in a 19" tire from any manufacturer). I watched the video of the test between it, Continental DWS, and the Pirelli P-Zero all-season on Tirerack. Although the Pirelli won out overall, I still decided to go with the Michelin (obviously, duh). I really thought for sure I was going to go with the BFG since I knew from experience that I liked them, but it kinda came down to aesthetics. The Michelin will look better (vs. the BFG, I didn't really consider the others), most closely resembling what's on there now, and it came in just a tad cheaper with a discount currently being offered.

I did all this before I saw your warning about not going wider than 275 to be able to use a front tire as a spare in all positions.... oh well.

I like the idea of having an entire wheel/tire set to swap, rather than having to swap tires on/off the rims each time. And I'm glad my son works at our Ford dealership. The TPMS valve stems are usually $100 each, but half that with his discount.

I'm almost willing to bet if I went (or one day go) with the 20" A/S tire in a 305 square set up, I'd probably just stick with it year round. The performance difference isn't really going to be all that noticeable in day-to-day driving, and my GT350 is a daily driver. I only get 10k miles out of the Micheline Pilot Super Sports.
    Last edited by Magcourse; 08-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Our stock 295/35R19 fronts have a diameter of 27.1", and the 305/35R19 rears are 27.4".

Are you going to be okay fitting 285/35R19 on all four corners? The diameter is 26.85".

There's a good explanation here which suggests keeping to within 1% of the original tire diameter when upsizing/downsizing. But I'm no expert.

https://www.thoughtco.com/plus-and-m...-tires-3234471

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors