"Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

"Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions

This is a discussion on "Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions within the Mustang GT350 Wheels & Tires forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; Well I'd obviously prefer someone make all-season tires in the factory sizes...lol, but yeah, I should be fine with the 285/35-19s. I have a go-to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Winter" Wheels/Tires Options and Questions

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'd obviously prefer someone make all-season tires in the factory sizes...lol, but yeah, I should be fine with the 285/35-19s. I have a go-to tire size conversion website that I use, and believe me, I looked at so many sizes from so many angles that my head was spinning. All the information I've seen over the years has said not to exceed +/- 3%, so I'll certainly have to take a gander at the link you've provided. Ideally, of course, I would like to keep it within 1% or less, but that ain't happening. Well, IDEALLY, I'd rather have direct bolt-ons, but so far that's just wishful thinking. It'd be nice if Ford provided two sets of tires with the car, summer only and at least all season.

Admittedly, I'd rather err on the plus side. Since I'm actually going a little bit smaller here, it's gong to take more revolutions per mile (774 vs. 758), so my already poor fuel mileage is going to take a hit. The 275/40s you suggested are +1.1% while my 285/35s are -1.8%. Ignoring the +/-, they're only .7% different. But at least the 275s are a larger diameter. These numbers are, of course, as measured against the rear tire size. I'm only concerned with those because they are the drive tires.

The site I use also lists actual vs. speedo speed. From 40 - 70 mph, I'll be traveling roughly 1 mph slower than my displayed speed (.7 mph at 40, 1.3 mph at 70). Now here's my question: do new vehicles self-adjust for different tire sizes? I ask because someone actually told me that newer (couple of years old and newer) vehicles don't need to be calibrated because they measure/calculate vehicle speed a different way. I have no idea if this is accurate or a bunch of baloney (but it sure sounds like baloney). Either way, I don't think the difference is great enough for me to worry about a speedo calibration, although I'm ate up enough that it annoys me for it to be off even that little bit. And of course I wonder if one speedo does adjust itself and maybe the other one doesn't. I drive using my digital speedo. I wonder if it might remain accurate regardless of wheel/tire diameter while perhaps the analog speedo suffers. Or neither adjusts. Or both do. It'll be interesting to see. I get the tires today and the wheels tomorrow. But I won't put them on the car for several more months. Heck, by then it may be time for my third set of Pilot Super Sports to boot.
    Last edited by Magcourse; 08-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magcourse View Post
    ... now here's my question: do new vehicles self-adjust for different tire sizes? I ask because someone actually told me that newer (couple of years old and newer) vehicles don't need to be calibrated because they measure/calculate vehicle speed a different way. I have no idea if this is accurate or a bunch of baloney (but it sure sounds like baloney) ...
    Unless the speedo is based upon GPS measurements, it's baloney in my opinion. And it's unlikely that an OEM would use GPS for this calculation 100% of the time since GPS doesn't work in tunnels and it's flakey in what we refer to as "urban canyons".

But your third party digital speedometer might be using GPS for the calculation since (I expect) the manufacturer probably doesn't expect you to rely upon it 100% of the time.

BTW, GPS-derived velocities are VERY VERY ACCURATE, far more accurate than anything delivered by a traditional speedometer.
    Magcourse and HRLNKN like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed, there are too many variables that make GPS as the source for velocities for land-based vehicles unreliable. While very accurate, GPS is a line-of-sight system; thus, just as you said, tunnels and "urban canyons" (among many things) render them useless as a full-time tool.

But the digital speedo I was referring to in my last post is the digital speedo in the GT350's information display, not a third-party speedometer. While I doubt it and the analog speedo are fed by different systems, I'm not positive they don't get their info from different systems or process the information in different ways. And I doubt it's correct to think of them as redundant systems in the sense that we had redundant systems in aircraft. Sometimes I wish we had a Dash 1 for the car like we did for the plane. Our GPS system had to have X number of satellites in view for the most accurate course, speed, and location information (I know, duh). For every number less than X number of satellites, algorithms in the system would weight the information from other components differently. For example, with all satellites locked in, it might weigh the GPS 99% and the INS (Inertial Navigation System) 1%. As the satellites dropped off, the system may only give the GPS 30% weight and the INS 70%. So sometimes I wish we had a Dash 1 that gave us more of the nuts and bolts about how systems work, how they process information, how they weigh information from various sources, and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Magcourse; 08-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone put snow tires rather than all season tires on the factory rims?
    I've seen posted elsewhere that this one is good.
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie III at $389 per tire 295/35R19 100V
    It was suggested that you use 295 front and rear.

I just called the Ford Performance hotline to check. They gave a suggestion, but didn't reply in a way that gave me faith that this was something that had been done and tested.

They recommended Bridgestone Blizzaks
    255/40/19 on the front
    275/40/19 on the rear

Any experience/suggestions?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've heard the Sottozeros are pretty good. I'm probably gonna mount them on a set of wheels dedicated to winter use. I'll report back how they perform on the car.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you go with a smaller diameter tire, consider ground clearance. I have problems scraping as it is.
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Anyone put snow tires rather than all season tires on the factory rims?
    I've seen posted elsewhere that this one is good.
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie III at $389 per tire 295/35R19 100V
    It was suggested that you use 295 front and rear.

I just called the Ford Performance hotline to check. They gave a suggestion, but didn't reply in a way that gave me faith that this was something that had been done and tested.

They recommended Bridgestone Blizzaks
    255/40/19 on the front
    275/40/19 on the rear

Any experience/suggestions?
    I've run Blizzaks on an SUV, and they are great snow/ice tires for that application. I don't know how they fare on a high performance car (unless you drive it gingerly). The last time I had occasion to run performance snows, they were Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds, but that was in a much smaller size, on a 2008 WRX. They were magical, though.

It looks like the Nokian Z-Line A/S is available in appropriate sizes, within 1cm of the diameter of the stock tires. Nokian makes the mighty Hakkapeliita, which is also available in what appears to be appropriate sizing, if you're mad enough to drive your Shelby in the white stuff.

https://www.nokiantires.com/
    2018 GT350, Ruby Red w/black stripe, conv. pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All - up in Philly, getting ready to purchase a 2019 GT350. Obviously need some tires I can drive in winter. Two questions: (1) What All-season tires can I put on stock rims (305 & 295 -35 - 19, and (2) What is a decent aftermarket wheel I can put on the car and be sure it fits? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors