Installng new Focal 3 way component speakers... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Installng new Focal 3 way component speakers...

This is a discussion on Installng new Focal 3 way component speakers... within the Mustang GT350 Electronics forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; Originally Posted by racer172 WARNING! DON'T DO IT. I also wanted more depth out of the sound when I first got the car and took ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Installng new Focal 3 way component speakers...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer172 View Post
    WARNING! DON'T DO IT.
    I also wanted more depth out of the sound when I first got the car and took it to my hi-end stereo shop here in San Diego (they work on all the expensive exotic cars) and they told me that the Shaker system has to use the Shaker speakers, if you replace them with different speakers there is an unwanted side effect, a sound that is like when you are driving a sedan and one of the back windows is down a crack and it gives an unbearable rumble sound. This has something to do with how the GT350's exhaust sound is fed through the Shaker amp system.
    The only way to use aftermarket speakers is if they come up with a module that will allow for this connect, but at the moment there is none.
    just live with the system as is. I've found that if I turn the stereo way up it's not that bad.
    I have heard the same thing concerning fiddling with the Shaker system on many threads. Better answer, exhaust in performance mode and the windows open.
    HotLap and RyanSterling1966 like this.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    I have heard the same thing concerning fiddling with the Shaker system on many threads. Better answer, exhaust in performance mode and the windows open.
    I hear ya - the sound is really the whole point - but back to the stereo - what I was thinking is maybe do as the post I saw earlier on the mustang6g site (the video has been taken down from Youtube for some reason ....)

Remove the rear speakers replace with 6 1/2" subs - JL Audio 6W3v3-4 on the back shelf add a JL Audio JX250/1D AMP - use the rear speaker connectors to tap into for the AMP.....

Oh yeah when I'm in performance mode my buddy can hear me coming several blocks away....
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit EcoDiesel

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbie1 View Post
    - what I was thinking is maybe do as the post I saw earlier on the mustang6g site Remove the rear speakers replace with 6 1/2" subs - JL Audio 6W3v3-4 on the back shelf add a JL Audio JX250/1D AMP - use the rear speaker connectors to tap into for the AMP......
    I don't think you are hearing what Jim & I are saying, but good luck to ya and let us know how it turns out.
    JimT likes this.
    2017 GT350 - Shadow Black / White Stripes

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hear ya -
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So here is the update -

I purchased the GT 350 Audio kit from Auto Fanatic (He has a number of posts on YouTube).

His system install video was pulled by Goggle due to music rights issues. You can ping him and he can fill you in on cost and other details.

The Kit comes with 2 subs, 2 rear deck mounts for the rear shelf, cables and various other items plus excellent instructions. I bought a JL Audio MX 500/1 AMP and a Stinger amp cable kit. Auto Fanatic recommends the JL Audio JX 250 /D. I went with the MX for several reasons including the small foot print. I spent 2 days doing the install. A lot of time was spent running around town getting stuff and also feeding the AMP power cable thru the firewall and into the battery box.

Once completed I test all audio features as well as all Sync 3 features. Eveything works perfect.

FYI - the rear deck shaker speakers are gone......

A couple of photos - power cable under battery tray JL Audio AMP.

AName:  v%WsbZZSSIqpxU9CAJodrQ.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  1.75 MBName:  Py2ldb5nSMaMtVi3Bnd9AQ.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  3.79 MB big win - the system sounds awesome.

So it works great, no system issues sounds awesome. 2 thumbs up.
    Last edited by hobbie1; 05-13-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbie1 View Post
    So here is the update -

I purchased the GT 350 Audio kit from Auto Fanatic (He has a number of posts on YouTube).

His system install video was pulled by Goggle due to music rights issues. You can ping him and he can fill you in on cost and other details.

The Kit comes with 2 subs, 2 rear deck mounts for the rear shelf, cables and various other items plus excellent instructions. I bought a JL Audio MX 500/1 AMP and a Stinger amp cable kit. Auto Fanatic recommends the JL Audio JX 250 /D. I went with the MX for several reasons including the small foot print. I spent 2 days doing the install. A lot of time was spent running around town getting stuff and also feeding the AMP power cable thru the firewall and into the battery box.

Once completed I test all audio features as well as all Sync 3 features. Eveything works perfect.

FYI - the rear deck shaker speakers are gone......

A couple of photos - power cable under battery tray JL Audio AMP.

AName:  v%WsbZZSSIqpxU9CAJodrQ.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  1.75 MBName:  Py2ldb5nSMaMtVi3Bnd9AQ.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  3.79 MB big win - the system sounds awesome.

So it works great, no system issues sounds awesome. 2 thumbs up.
    Nice work hobbie 1, I've been busy elsewhere and haven't gotten back to the audio upgrade yet. There are numerous post over on Mustang 6g about disabling the "fake" engine noise via FORScan as well. Would you mind PM'ing me Auto Fanatic's contact info. I'd ike to check out his option as well.
    2017 GT350 / Lightning Blue / Electronics Pkg...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
    about disabling the "fake" engine noise via FORScan.
    Yeah what you are talking about is called an Active Feedback System, where the exhaust sound is fed back into the car's speaker system, this is very common on Shaker systems. I'm not 100% sure our car has active feedback but it sounds like it does, and when you amplify that sound it creates an unwanted drone sound.

Since other gt350 owners have been swapping out their speakers and have been happy I asked my stereo guy to dig into this further, so he ran my VIN# and and found that my car shows it has option code ICQAB (ICE NOISE REDUCTION MODULE) which means that it has ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION and possibly the exhaust noise feedback system. It's a 10-speaker system (9 main speakers and a subwoofer). The build codes do not specifically list the exhaust active feedback system, it only lists the ICQAB. He said I would be looking at aprox $8k to upgrade the audio system because we will need an audio processor to extract audio out of the Ford Sync system, upgrade the 8 main speakers in the cabin/subwoofer in the trunk and add a 1200 watt 5 channel amplifier.

$8k is out of my budget for this project so I'm not going to do it.
    When I told him that some of you guys are just swapping speakers only with no issues and are happy with the results, he said that unfortunately just upgrading the speakers will not make a enough of a difference to justify the cost, the 10-speaker system in the car is actually a pretty decent system with 6 front speakers, center dash speaker, two rear speakers, subwoofer and amplifier.

This was the advice I was given but I'm interested in the results you your guy's installs.
    keep up posted.
    2017 GT350 - Shadow Black / White Stripes

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just sent you a message....
    HotLap likes this.
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Check my post - Per the Auto Fanatic kit I removed the 2 rear speakers installed his 2 sub's and the JL audio - the rest of the system is stock. Bass sounds awesome and no ill affects. Auto Fanatic has a GT 350 also.

Total spent with me doing the work was about $1300

That is what led him to build the kit. If your near Brentwood Northern CA I will have the car at the Diablo Valley Mustang show at Bill Brandt Ford June 9th.
    2017 Shelby GT 350
    2018 F250 Lariat 4X4

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer172 View Post
    Yeah what you are talking about is called an Active Feedback System, where the exhaust sound is fed back into the car's speaker system, this is very common on Shaker systems. I'm not 100% sure our car has active feedback but it sounds like it does, and when you amplify that sound it creates an unwanted drone sound.

Since other gt350 owners have been swapping out their speakers and have been happy I asked my stereo guy to dig into this further, so he ran my VIN# and and found that my car shows it has option code ICQAB (ICE NOISE REDUCTION MODULE) which means that it has ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION and possibly the exhaust noise feedback system. It's a 10-speaker system (9 main speakers and a subwoofer). The build codes do not specifically list the exhaust active feedback system, it only lists the ICQAB. He said I would be looking at aprox $8k to upgrade the audio system because we will need an audio processor to extract audio out of the Ford Sync system, upgrade the 8 main speakers in the cabin/subwoofer in the trunk and add a 1200 watt 5 channel amplifier.

$8k is out of my budget for this project so I'm not going to do it.
    When I told him that some of you guys are just swapping speakers only with no issues and are happy with the results, he said that unfortunately just upgrading the speakers will not make a enough of a difference to justify the cost, the 10-speaker system in the car is actually a pretty decent system with 6 front speakers, center dash speaker, two rear speakers, subwoofer and amplifier.

This was the advice I was given but I'm interested in the results you your guy's installs.
    keep up posted.
    Racer172, you might want to check out the threads over in the 6g forum. Start with the GT350 forum and they have both threads and links to upgrading the 9 speaker system. Several options, and way below $8K. Some have decided to add a woofer/amp to the spare tire well (still fitting the stock inflator components) that came out well. Subjective of course, but IMO, this sound system is one of the worst I've ever had in a new car...even worse than the Sony "Premium" system Ford was using in the F - 150's.
    racer172 likes this.
    2017 GT350 / Lightning Blue / Electronics Pkg...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors