Caliper pain
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Caliper pain

This is a discussion on Caliper pain within the Mustang GT350 Appearance forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; Has anyone had their brake calipers painted on the GT350? I am not sure if the paint will last long. What should I look for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GT_Dave

Thread: Caliper pain

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Caliper pain

Has anyone had their brake calipers painted on the GT350? I am not sure if the paint will last long. What should I look for if I was to look for someone to do it?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got the brown brakes too and would have preferred the red. I don't see why Ford had to short us like that.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I painted my calipers on the car, used VHT high temperature caliper paint. Most of the effort is the careful masking of the hardware and surrounding components. Took about 3 hours and $15 in paint and materials, another $15 in Brembo vinyl stickers.
    2 1/2 years later and 23,000 miles, they still look very nice. What beats up the paint the most is taking wheels on and off the car, that will happen with any type of coating on the calipers.
    IMHO, it isn't worth spending $800 on powder coated calipers from Ford, the R calipers are no different. And it is too much work to pull them off the car, disassemble the pistons and have them powder coated. You would need a low temperature powder coating process anyway so you don't change the temper on the aluminum casting.
    Last edited by GT_Dave; 08-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    JimT and 17GT350 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoXiDe View Post
    I got the brown brakes too and would have preferred the red. I don't see why Ford had to short us like that.
    Assuming that was a rhetorical statement. But just in case, Ford did that to differentiate between the two cars and make the R more special. I love the red brakes also. But, I get it, and glad they did it that way. So like most, I sucked it up and pulled mine off for a custom/pro paintjob that will last as long as the factory would have. Like Dave said...be glad we have the exact same brakes. No need to powedercoat. And also (from what I understand) the factory Brembo's (or any Brembo for that matter) are not powdercoated. They're painted.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You can do a lot of things with High Temp Red paint. After spending a childhood building and ‘painting’ my models, I have also taken on underhood components (VC, Oil Sep. etc).

Name:  D4B19DB7-BEF5-41FE-848D-0528F7CF6491.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  3.11 MB

I see no reason, given good surface prep, that paint would not do just fine. I would find stickers like Dave did, sure the’re out there.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks nice. I like what you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    You can do a lot of things with High Temp Red paint. After spending a childhood building and ‘painting’ my models, I have also taken on underhood components (VC, Oil Sep. etc).

I see no reason, given good surface prep, that paint would not do just fine. I would find stickers like Dave did, sure the’re out there.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What mind of materials did you use to do the painting on your engine? I would like to do that to mine one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors